Author Topic: New Streamliner for sale on eBay  (Read 24912 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: New Streamliner for sale on eBay
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonneville-land-speed-Streamliner-with-a-fresh-Al-Teague-Blown-KB-Fuel-Hemi-/222382394429?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33c7060c3d:g:E0cAAOSwZQRYVuMO&item=222382394429

The text mentions "Fresh Teague 424 Cu.in. Keith Black Stage ... this is Al's FIA record holding B/BFS engine."

Is this a reference to the 2002 record or one of the others?

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
The ad also said Custom 4 speed Weisman transaxle (out of Betsy). It's been a while, but I didn't know Al had 2 transaxles or was  Betsy canabalized?  Sid?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
Yes that is Al's "B" engine, we had a AA, A, B & C engines.
Yes there were two Weismann Transaxles, the original one was Magnesium & the second was aluminum.
  Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 06:02:25 PM »
This wouldn't be "Fast Freddie" Dannenfelzer new streamliner???

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:44 PM »
No
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Yes that is Al's "B" engine, we had a AA, A, B & C engines.
Yes there were two Weismann Transaxles, the original one was Magnesium & the second was aluminum.
  Sid.

Sid,

You give us some information and I ask for more ...   :-)

So can you tell us a bit more about the engines?  What capacity were they?  I have come across references to 370ci, 392ci, 424ci, 470ci and 490ci.  When did each run?  Which records did they set?

This sort of detail should be written up in a book, but there is none in existence as far as I know.   :-(

One of the reasons I'm interested is to work out whether Al ought to be the holder of the (new in 2016) A-I-12 FIA record.

I don't ask much!   :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »
All that info is getting a little thin now, like my hair. :roll:
The 370 was a 383 crank in a KB block with small liners C engine, the 424 was the B engine, the 470 was the A engine & the AA was 525 & I think that went with Betsy along with the magnesium Weismann. I don't recall a 490 & the 392 was the iron block before the change to KB's. There was an engine size rule change at one time that affected the B engine, I can't remember the details now.
"When did they run?" Yes they did.....& so did we.....a lot. :-P :-P :-P We ran everything we could back then & even some private time. Up at 4am to pre qualify for the old three run records, always the last people to leave the salt & sometimes Anthony Young & I would work through the night to change an engine to be on the line ready to make a run at 7am. Al & I talked about the fact we didn't record any details of when, why & how many, back then but it just wasn't important at the time. On lookers were the ones that took pictures & videos & remember details, we were just busting our a$$'s.

Ron, no Betsy wasn't cannibalized, these are all parts left over after the original sale to Ralph Whitworth.
  Sid.   

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »

One of the reasons I'm interested is to work out whether Al ought to be the holder of the (new in 2016) A-I-12 FIA record.

Tricky,

Whoever oversaw the runs (an American organisation such as USAC, ACCUS, SCCA, ??) would have measured the engine after the completion of the attempt so that FIA certification could be given. Of course if the cubic capacity, determined from the bore and stroke measurements, were well under the then upper limit for the class the technical person concerned may have just ticked a reporting box on accepting the capacity.

I would have hoped that the actual cubic capacity (or the measurements recorded) would have been written up in the technical report handed to the FIA Steward. The answer may lie somewhere in documents held by the American organisation, but equally they could be at the FIA headquarters in hard copy.

Maybe an enquiry to the head of the FIA Speed Record Commission, whose team of people should be sorting out the 'new' lists, might be the best approach. After all he is an American.

[Sorry Slim, nothing to do with the ebay vehicle].

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
I don't recall a 490 & the 392 was the iron block before the change to KB's.

From an article in the UK "Motor Sport" magazine (January 1992), written by David Tremayne:

By 1988 the full bodywork had been completed, with the rear wheels now enclosed by elegant integral spats that add a hint of Batmobile to the incredibly narrow rear end. Along the way he had acquired a 490 cu.in Keith Black motor to replace the 470 that had supplanted the original powerplant. He set a new B/Fuel Streamliner mark of 349.695 mph, later raising that to 378.567 with a peak of 382.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 02:15:15 PM »
490 would be an A engine & I'm pretty sure we only had one bullet in 88. Back wheels were covered in 87, possibly earlier.
  Sid.

Offline Hoffman

• New folks
    • Speed Pro
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
Does  "Sid" or anyone else has a up-to date phone# to Doug?
I saw the ad back in January and called but never got  a reply.
Ive been doing investigations and I know he lives in Minden Nv and  South Lake Tahoe.
He was also building race cars  for many years with Paul Newman....I even found  him on Linkend ( or how You spell it) but still no phone#
I meant to pay him a visit  when I was over in the states in Sept to upgrade my licence at WOS at Bonneville  but I was a  bit chicken to go to Minden Square and shout for  him...
Does anyone PLEASE have a hunch where I can reach  him??
Today I register here  to get a chance....

mv h R

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »
Check reply #14. Ivsalt may be able to put you in touch with him. Good luck.

Pete

Offline wickedwagens

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
I don't think the streamliner was sold, but possibly a new partnership formed.  I don't know Doug, but he lives about 1.5 miles from me.  I've been meaning to get over there and say "Hi".
1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
G/CFALT  106.643 MPH  8/2016    G/CGALT  113.131 MPH  9/2016
G/CBGALT  169.462  MPH  8/2021    G/CBFALT  146.715  MPH  8/2017
G/CBGC  158.242  MPH  9/2017   H/CBGC  94.334 MPH  8/2018
H/CPRO  93.383 MPH  8/2018   H/CBFALT  101.282 MPH 9/2018
H/CBGALT  120.591 MPH 9/2018
Top Speed 170.726 MPH
36hp VW 100 mph club 9/2019 102.319 MPH

Offline Hoffman

• New folks
    • Speed Pro
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 01:51:39 AM »
I dont Think it was sold either....Thats why Im trying to get a hold of him and ask-Whats going on and if its still for sale.
Is it possible You could  go by him to ask  for a phone #?? or could You give him my phone#/Emailadress??
Ive been looking for a GOOD liner for 5-6 years but no good ones come up for sale. The ones that  come up dont meet my standards. This is the first one who does. Were in the makings of building one- but if this one still is for sale it wuld save us a lot of time

Off topic:PS Nice Ghia! Where You at  WOS?
Do You know Chris from Wasjington with the flatblack Ghia?
Im currently building a Ghia for my GF but we only keep the body- The rest is Porsche Boxster

Offline Hoffman

• New folks
    • Speed Pro
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »
I just got the sad news: The car  has been sold.
No need to lay down any work to reach mr Dreager
Thanks
 mv h R