Author Topic: Fuel Injection, mech vs electronic  (Read 13292 times)

Offline oj

Re: Fuel Injection, mech vs electronic
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 09:33:05 AM »
Seems to me the simpler system is the better.  If we are running at WOT mechanical has an advantage, it throws fuel into the cylinder at a predetermined rate.  The tuner is the one to figure the rate.  Seems simple enough for me, if you burn a piston you know who and what to blame.  It'll take an engineering conferance to figure why theres a hole'd piston in a computer controlled engine.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 10:02:08 AM »
OJ, been to Bonneville? 
One thing you hear is a lot is stumbling... burbling... those usually occur while the motor is trying to get cleared out enough to get to WOT.  Is that a tuning problem?  I don't really know...
It is not that hard to tell what happened if you burn a piston with EFI... it is the same as MFI.... you failed to provide enough fuel compared to air.....
it is all about selection  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline oj

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
No, I haven't been to Bonneville and regret running my mouth, it was a morning post while on my 3rd cup of coffee.  I dunno what I'll use, I'm not even ruling out carburetors.  It is as much an intake design consideration as the means of getting gas to the intake valve.  I think those long nozzles that sprint cars use on mechanical injection have the advantage, but I'm not familiar with all the forms of electronic injectors either. 

Offline jl222

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 09:19:28 PM »
Seems to me the simpler system is the better.  If we are running at WOT mechanical has an advantage, it throws fuel into the cylinder at a predetermined rate.  The tuner is the one to figure the rate.  Seems simple enough for me, if you burn a piston you know who and what to blame.  It'll take an engineering conferance to figure why theres a hole'd piston in a computer controlled engine.

Our FAST EFI shows the air fuel ratio on laptop from start to finish at all rpms and even corrects 20% rich or lean

Biggest problem is learning the system or knowing someone who does.

We made 2080 hp at rear wheels with mechanical but was unreliable starting. EFI 2350 hp starts right up.

This with centrifugal blower harder to set up than roots type.

Unblown mechanical would be simpler. And their is data recorders and sensors that record air fuel and lots of
   other things. But it cost $

JL222

Offline John Burk

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 10:58:20 PM »
Airflow Performance mechanical injection is an alternative to EFI and conventional mechanical fuel injection :

http://airflowperformance.com/index.php/store-2-2/

It's a Bendix mechanical fuel injection normally used on aircraft that they modify to allow external mixture adjustment . Similar to a Rochester MFI . Being intended for aircraft it works fine at all throttle positions . I learned about it from Ken Walkey and chose it because ram air pressure doesn't throw it off and it fit in my limited space . You mount on your own manifold .

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
John,
I think you have discussed this injection before. Since you have one how about a pic or two?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »
I din't have a digital camera . This is the best shot I have .

http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/Bvile-pics/bs%20blisters%201-2006%20(4)%20med.jpg

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
Airflow Performance mechanical injection is an alternative to EFI and conventional mechanical fuel injection :

http://airflowperformance.com/index.php/store-2-2/

It's a Bendix mechanical fuel injection normally used on aircraft that they modify to allow external mixture adjustment . Similar to a Rochester MFI . Being intended for aircraft it works fine at all throttle positions . I learned about it from Ken Walkey and chose it because ram air pressure doesn't throw it off and it fit in my limited space . You mount on your own manifold .

Interesting but Norton flags the web-page as malicious! :-( Farce-book page is OK! :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz