Author Topic: 1965 Marlin  (Read 16678 times)

Offline Rick Byrnes

Re: 1965 Marlin
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »
OH JEEZZZZ
I had one of those back in the day.  Actually a nice car, and I agree it would surely be unique on the salt.  Just like the Merkur was.
Rick

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
And plenty of room for a V-16 aircraft engine. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 03:26:44 PM »
  AMC ALL THE WAY!  Dick Maskin (DART) ran a very competitive NHRA Pro Stocker with a Rambler engine and now Indy Cylinder Head makes Hi-Zoot heads and I believe blocks for them.
  I first came to the Salt in 1995 and as a burnt out long time Drag Racer I discovered Heaven on Earth.  I walked the pits for three days and after looking at all the High Dollar vehicles (some famous, some not) I started round two by looking at all the obviously home built and oddball vehicles with even more oddball engines and it completely blew Me away.  The old hunched over gentleman whom was working on a overhead valve injected Model B four cylinder and when I asked where He got the Head and Injectors replied "I made em' ".  The blown KB hemi two cylinder that ran over 200 m.p.h., the chopped Stude with a 460 Ford sawed in half, the lakester running a snow mobile engine, it went on and on and on the flight home I said I am going to find and build a Studebaker and have FUN... expensive fun but what the Hell.
  Be different and screw the records.  Set Your personal record as a goal.  Help keep LSR racing weird and interesting.  AMC ALL THE WAY!
  To the neigh sayers, I ran 219 with a injected Olds motor in a 4300# Studebaker.  The Motor (and Myself) were designed in 1946 and if time on Earth and finances allow I plan on pushing that number up in a few Years.  When I first ran the car in 1998 (50th Speedweek) The car/engine combo developed its own fan club of mostly old timers who would visit My pits every year.  These were and are the kind of guys who walked up and would say things like "Jesus Christ Herb, its a fu*cking Early Olds!).
  Same guys, every Year and when after seven years I put in a BBC a few of them were in near tears while mentioning things like "tar and feathers" and "lynching".  I avoided either or both outcomes by swearing to them that as soon as I hit the 250 mark I would put the Olds back in it.
  Why did I start out with a early Old's?  I wanted to see if I could make one go 200 m.p.h. and it took a hell of a lot of work, research and trial and error modifications over seven years but it was a wonderful adventure  and allowed Me to meet and talk Olds engines with the likes of Nick Arias Jr. (May He R.I.P.), Don Ratican, Ed Iskenderian, Jack Engle,Tom Cirello and others  who worked on or with Early Olds (1949-1964) in their heyday.
  Anyone can go fast with a Hemi or BBC but if You are crazy enough, bold enough, and thick skinned enough, and at least temporarirly wealthy enough, You need to build a Rambler, MG Midget (oop's, already done...) or Hudson or whatever isn't another Camaro or Studebaker (did I just say that?).  Be a Manly Man. Being insane Helps.
                                                                                                     One Run Bob Drury
                                                                                                      #394 A/CFALT 53 Studebaker 238+ m.p.h. 496" BBC
                                                                                                              B/CFALT  "        "            219+ m.p.h. 435" Early Olds
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:31:56 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »
LSR is a wonderful world Bob. :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 08:47:39 PM »
  That's cuz You and Me and Stainless and John Boy and SSS and Stan Back are in it and are Famous in our own mind's.............................
                                                                                                     One Run Bob, out................................................................
                                                                                                    :cheers: :cheers: :roll: :cheers: :cheers: :-P :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 11:18:02 PM »
Hey One Run, if "Anyone can go fast with a Hemi or BBC" what happened to you going fast with your BBC  :roll:

200 MPH Rambler, with a Rambler motor.... that is a goal  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 11:46:20 PM »
  That's cuz You and Me and Stainless and John Boy and SSS and Stan Back are in it and are Famous in our own mind's.............................
                                                                                                     One Run Bob, out................................................................
                                                                                                    :cheers: :cheers: :roll: :cheers: :cheers: :-P :-D
Yepsiree Mate, living legends in our own lunch times! :-D
  Sid.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 08:22:20 AM »
 :cheers: I'll drink to that :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
Indeed Rambler in a Rambler would be way cool...And have the eye-bleach handy if you google "BBC"...........
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
The 401 is really a cool engine that got lost in demise of AMC. It's a strong small block with 4.165 X 3.680 bore & stroke with factory forged crank & rods that are 5.850 long & the dog leg heads have good breathing with a factory 2.02 intake valve. Imagine how popular this combo would have been if had a bow-tie or a blue oval on it.
It's a rare day when some gear head looks in my tank & actually knows what it is. They run through all the options they can think of then ask me if it's actually an American engine before they finally give up in disgust. :x "OH Yeah, forgot all about that one!" :oops:
  Sid. 

Offline Tackman

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 08:12:58 PM »
I like different so I'd go with the big AMC fish but then I have a turbo'd 401 dog-leg AMC in my tank.
  Sid.
Is there a build thread or video? I've only found a few videos of the 401. One of the videos had a Vortec supercharger.

Offline Tackman

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 08:30:33 PM »

That would be awesome. I have paving projects all over North Georgia.  :cheers:

Do us a favor - Pave us a 3 mile straight, flat stretch somewhere in Georgia specifically for land speed racing - ECTA's still looking for new digs, and I love peaches and pecans  . . .  :wink:
I wish there was a place to race here in Georgia. I live 3 miles from Road Atlanta and 20 from the Atlanta Dragway...For some reason I don't think they would work real well. :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 08:48:18 PM »

That would be awesome. I have paving projects all over North Georgia.  :cheers:

Do us a favor - Pave us a 3 mile straight, flat stretch somewhere in Georgia specifically for land speed racing - ECTA's still looking for new digs, and I love peaches and pecans  . . .  :wink:
I wish there was a place to race here in Georgia. I live 3 miles from Road Atlanta and 20 from the Atlanta Dragway...For some reason I don't think they would work real well. :-D

Well, I'd like to try it!  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
  Tackman, try theamcforum.com and check out the aluminum heads and blocks at Indy Cylinder Heads.
                                                                                    One Run, out........................................................
Bob Drury