Author Topic: Hump on back neckline  (Read 20194 times)

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
Re: Hump on back neckline
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »
The "hump" has stuff all affect on speed, however, "standing"(flattening your back) can make a significant improvement  :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline AHG

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

#1 - The comments regarding SCTA rules serve no purpose on the BMST page, as that speed meet is strictly involved with the AMA and F.I.M. regulations.
The same would pertain to motorcycle rules inquiries for the Cook Shootout.

#2 - Leathers with the hump on the back are allowed in all AMA and F.I.M. LSR classes, except for streamliners naturally
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline Pippi2

• "Do or do not.... there is no try"
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »
Page 23 of the BMST Rule Book:
2. O. (IV) LEATHERS
Suits made of synthetic material are not permissible. The use of stretchable Kevlar and perforated materials in non- critical areas are permissible. Leather suits shall be one- piece design or joined by a full circumference zipper at the waist. Leathers cannot be too big or loose. Critical area (knees, elbows, forearms, shoulders) armor or 2-layers of leather is highly recommended. Due to invisible flames, riders’ of motorcycles burning fuels of Methanol content are recommended to wear Nomex underclothing or something of similar nature.

We do not have a rule on leather humps. It's the machine that gets classified for records, not what you are wearing.
The BMST has different rules than the SCTA.

Stay fabulous,
Linnea

Offline comet

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »
Chris it was brilliant to see you running the bike this year. Can't tell you how much Dawn and I enjoyed flagging you both off. Well done to you both.
Best wishes.

Offline Chris V

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
Comet, we are off topic here but anyway I am looking forward to next year :-D, Sandy not so much :cry:
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline comet

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
It was a hot one this year for sure. It must have been hard work sitting in leathers.
I have read elsewhere (previously) that the race humps in leathers do not have much of an effect on performance until higher speed numbers are reached, over 125ish. Not sure if that is correct or not. But I have also heard they offer a safety benefit. A local hospital in Kent was doing research a couple of years ago into accidents with and without speed humps. I never found the outcome which would have been very interesting.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »
For what it's worth, the late Dr. John Hinds wrote about speed humps and in particular their hindrance of getting an injured rider safely on their back in the case of spinal injuries and for the difficulty added during intubation. His experienced recommendation was to roll the patient on their side and cut the hump off with a scalpel so you can get the patient in a natural supine position without their head tilting back.

http://motorcycleminds.org/2017/03/24/the-hump/

Note that this article does not deal with whether or not a hump is more safe than no hump in a crash. But Hinds pointed out that they are an aero feature, not a safety feature. My impression is that back armor and a neck brace (or one of those awesome inflatable MotoGP suits) are going to be more effective than a speed hump in preventing injury in that area of the body. Seems pretty clear a speed hump is for, well, speed. Hinds was a really entertaining lecturer and I highly recommend his Cases from the Races lecture that is posted on youtube.

Offline noboD

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 07:25:16 AM »
Just a semi-related question from the cheap seats. Are the new helmets with the point in the back considered aero? Seems to me if the speed bump is so should the helmet.

Offline maj

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
I am looking at the airbag suits now , and in one brand at least if not more of them the hump is used as the storage for the electronics and CO2 cylinder ,
 That will be a bit harder to remove for SCTA