Author Topic: 200 MPH Club  (Read 14061 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: 200 MPH Club
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 01:20:17 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers:

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 02:35:18 PM »
I've seen 2 comments about the one hour turn around and different directions with wind being a handicap factor for FIA/FIM. On the other side of the fence SCTA/USFRA only gets a 5 mile curse regardless of track condition where FIA/FIM could get 6 or 7. I see that as an equalizer or possible advantage.

Dallas,

6 miles...maybe....7 miles...no way....this would means a 13 miles long course....the last time the salt saw a 13 miles was in the 60's....

Shootout 2016 had official a 11 miles to run....which would mean....that the 6th mile was the measured mile.....
The reality....both ends of the 11 miles was very rough...if you used the track through the pits....which was part of the 11 miles....it was to my opinion a disadvantage....smaller streamliners like the Truz Missile and the Honda streamliner lift complete off the ground with all four wheels....Jim Knapp's Barnyard bearcat was with the wheels off the ground...
for both small streamliners return runs end in a turn out after they "bounced" through the pits....out of the pits it wasn't better....so it was realistically good 10 miles to use....which means the measured mile was from 4.5 to 5.5 mile....and don't forget....the 1 hour means....from the moment you drive into the measured mile to driving out of the measured mile on the return run....all the way to the pits for the turn around is include in this 1 hour....for turning around the racer you got about 50 minutes to start the racer again. The other issue with the 1 hour is the cooling down....some engines are still to hot when they start for the return run....the bike didn't use all the length of the track during the Shootout....viewing the timing list from Alan Rice, I found out, that the most bike riders was slowing down to the end of the measure mile.....couple years ago Richard Assen told me a lot of interesting things about this overheating.....well, FIM allowed two hours for the turn around...helps to get the engine back to a proper temperature....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline DallasV

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
Pork Pie, No disagreement here, just saying if and when conditions are better that could be an equalizing or advantaging factor and was considered for the 200 mph club amendment. Guess my point is the grass is always greener. It's harder for FIA/FIM folks because they have to turn around in an hour and deal with wind but may have a little more course. But my record was harder because I had to go both directions on an SCTA course. That is unless you ask my father who had the harder record because he had to qualify first then the next day run down and back in an hour, 3 runs for a record. Unless you ask the old old timers who's record was more difficult because horsepower was dependent on how many horses they were hooked up to. See where I'm coming from here?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:44:30 PM by DallasV »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
Typically the RAD at Bonneville is almost always in the very high 90`s in the morning, then falls away to mid 80`s during the afternoon,,

The wind is usualy a breeze in the morning, as humidity builds it is unpredictable later in the day,,

Those two factors will determine how many horses you have  :-)

If I was running SCTA, my battle plan would be to stage so as to get a morning run in as earlie as possible, then be somewhere in the front section of the que for the next mornings backup  :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline salt27

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »
Then again you may awake to a wet course for your backup run. (it's happened to us a couple times)

Also we have had a headwind more than once in the morning for the return run.

It's all chance and mother nature rules. 

Don

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »
Dallas, Don,

I remember very well the old way to set records...I think 1995 was the last time they run this way....in 1996 they start to run the qualifier and than 1 return run....

that was the reason why I wrote, that today with the sheer number of racers it is impossible to do the FIA way....

and about the condition on the morning return run....a tough cross wind nearly blow my red hat return run away....

and to early years we experienced wet salt in the morning and the racer (a streamliner) was slow down in the soft salt....

record breaking is not easy....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
Clicking off a non-soft record could never be called easy but the old three run days were especially tough with a pre-qualifier then the two run turn around & coming back towards Wendover was typically a mile shorter to the clock than going down. There was a bit of a real estate shortage back then but nothing like we have ended up with now & that is reflected in the format changes.
We do the best we can with what is left! :cry:
  Sid. 

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »

I remember very well the old way to set records...I think 1995 was the last time they run this way....in 1996 they start to run the qualifier and than 1 return run....

Small point, but can anyone confirm when the change was made from three runs to two?

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:39 PM »
 BMST(FIM), at 11:39am I run a 190.496mph with a 16mph tail wind, then on the backup run at 12:59pm go 183.906mph into a 14mph headwind, averages out to a 187.2 record  :-)

At SCTA, do thay average the runs or, is the first a qualifier, then the record is taken from the second pass ??
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline salt27

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »
At SCTA, do thay average the runs or, is the first a qualifier, then the record is taken from the second pass ??

It's the average of the two.

Our morning record runs generally seem to be slower than the qualifier but that could be just us.

Don
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:59:25 PM by salt27 »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 10:18:30 PM »
You are always above the record for the qualifier... the back up pass can go either way....  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 10:43:25 PM »

Small point, but can anyone confirm when the change was made from three runs to two?

As Mr. Pie stated it was 1995

John

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:48:11 PM by Stainless1 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 10:57:36 PM »

All you need to do is look at the 200 MPH Club roster. It went from 3 or 4 members per year to 10 or 20.

That should tell you how hard it was to set a record with 3 passes.   :|
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 05:33:40 AM »

As Mr. Pie stated it was 1995

John

Thanks John.

Was that also when the (previously separate) SCTA and USFRA record lists were merged?  And when the LSA (Land Speed Authority) ceased to operate?

For those of us who weren't there, it's not easy to work out what was happening on the salt in the 1990's.  :-(

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 11:43:14 AM »

All you need to do is look at the 200 MPH Club roster. It went from 3 or 4 members per year to 10 or 20.

That should tell you how hard it was to set a record with 3 passes.   :|
[/quote]

Michael,

you are right....after the change to set a record....the record speed "explode"....and the number of Club member....a other reason for the higher number on Club member was after the Hayabusa was available....this bike done a lot of racer into the club.

there are only a few records left over from the time with the old (before 1996) rule....an this records mostly are tough records....

one of them was set by my great friend John (Speed Limit 1000)......221 mph in I/FL.....I had the luck to be first (record) over 200 mph in I/GL (Oct. 2012)...to today I ask me, how he pressed this speed out in 1995.....my best was close to 205 mph.....

and with this, that the most records was set under the today rule....this way of setting a record had to be seen to FIA and FIM

The one who set their records under the old rule, they really done a great job....tough time to set records.
Pork Pie