Author Topic: 200 MPH Club  (Read 14062 times)

Offline DRW

200 MPH Club
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:25:52 PM »
Why, Doesnt BMST have a 200 Club, If you run 200+ and set a record, You should be in there,,, The Salt Flats
just let you run 200+ ,  It doesnt know the sanctioning body, SCTA, BMST Etc.....
I will never get close, But I know a lot of guys that Have & Are close, Doesnt seem fair ???
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: 200 MPH Club
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:08:54 PM »
Why, Doesnt BMST have a 200 Club, If you run 200+ and set a record, You should be in there,,, The Salt Flats
just let you run 200+ ,  It doesnt know the sanctioning body, SCTA, BMST Etc.....
I will never get close, But I know a lot of guys that Have & Are close, Doesnt seem fair ???

BMST has a 201 club....
The thing you need to understand is it is setting a record over 200 means going faster than anyone else has.  The Bonneville 200 MPH Club just voted to accept FIA and FIM records from any event on the salt as long as they exceed the comparable class record from the SCTA record book.
So attend the BMST, set a FIM record over 200 that exceeds the SCTA record in the comparable class and then submit your FIM record to the club to collect your hat.
Easy peasy...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DRW

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:19:09 PM »
Hmm, OK,  Like all runs at Bonneville, Sounds easy....
Yet, Im still at 135  Haha
But thanks Stainless, As I said, Im not gonna get there, But its interesting to know..

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
There is no direct conversion between FIM and SCTA classes.  There are big differences in what is allowed.  It will be interesting to see how this works.

Offline DRW

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »
Ive  Heard,,,,,,,,,,,,   It Doesnt  !

just sayin............................

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »
it is very strange with the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials (former BUB)....

they got the 201 Club....and to my understanding, this is the reason why the Bonneville 200 MPH Club is not getting red hats out at this event....

So happens to Erin Okonek, she had to run a 217 mph record under FIM at the Shootout to earn her red hat, albeit she set during the BMST, around three weeks before two FIM records at 216 mph.....
in the other hand, Eva Hakanson earned a red hat at the BUB (BMST) in August 2013 with her 212 mph record in the electric sidecar (this record was certified as AMA and FIM record)

Well, maybe our 200 MPH Club president Dan Warner can explain us, what the real fact is.

Dan, Thanks in advance for that.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 12:34:09 AM »
Hey Pork Pie, I can answer that one... there were no 200 MPH Club board reps at the BMST, so she would have needed to submit he FIM record to the club board for acceptance.  At the Shootout there was representation.  At that time, the board just had to agree that the record speed was acceptable to the club... Dan contacted other board members and they agreed, so Erin's FIM record earned her a hat.  
There is a new rule just voted on by the membership that the FIA/FIM Speeds must exceed the SCTA record in a comparable class.  
Wob and DRW... actually quite a few of the FIM classes have very similar rules and requirements in both open and PS classes.  The major difference I see is class breaks, but they all fall within one or another of the SCTA breaks.... the SCTA has more to choose from.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:36:25 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 12:47:10 AM »
Oh I guess I should add that red hats have been given out at the BUB, now BMST... when a Club board member was present.... I recall 2006, when Chris Carr broke Rocky's record right after Rocky broke Dave's long standing record.  I believe a board member was also present when Eva set her record. 
Stainless

Offline DRW

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 02:06:22 AM »
Stainless, I like that, Thanks for the info,,
As for Chris Carr and Eva,  I agree, Really also with Erin, Im not so sure who others are , I know Mark Bjorkland on the Dual Motor Ducati Broke 200 and set a record ?
But as I was sayin, Chris & Eva, Those are records that just blow away other records so yes, They deserve it..
DW

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 02:27:42 AM »
It is the second run at BMST(FIM) that is the great leveller, you can run with a 16 mph wind on your down run, turn it around an hour or so later and run into a 14mph headwind, just sayin is all  :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »
Stay..... Wind at Bonneville is a factor no mater what, when and how you run.... a few years ago we ran the 1 liter open class for records with 5 different riders, after the first set a record, the next rider qualified on that record and the next  morning the second reset the record higher... the third rider qualified on that record and the next morning the 8-10  MPH headwind prevented a record... the forth rider qualified on the record after the wind calmed a little but the next morning a 8-10  MPH headwind again prevented a record... this was the last day of racing... the 8-10 headwind continued but the fifth rider qualified it and 2 hours later she missed the record by .01 after the headwind increased to 14.  The record is still there, we have run 4 MPH faster than it is, our competitors have run 4 MPH faster than it is... but it is still there... that's just Bonneville
Stainless

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
Stainless,

this is maybe a explanation.....

albeit "they got the 201 Club....and to my understanding, this is the reason why the Bonneville 200 MPH Club is not getting red hats out at this event...."

this was told to me a couple years ago by an 200 MPH Club official....

in the other hand....I never visit a BUB or BMST meet.....so I don't know what is going on, there.

At the Shootout 2016, I think the 200 Club was aware of Erin Okonek records at the BMST...and if you read the notes on the Shootout Facebook side it sound in some way other than what you wrote about the different red hats....

This was the reason why I "asked Dan" to get it clear from the view of the club.

About records under FIA/FIM to SCTA rule book...their is a big different....just an example.....lakester....the FIA got not this category.....if you run a lakester under FIA you would Special Construction Streamliner....doesn't matter that the wheels stuck out....FIA...no different between gas and fuel....you run what you like......
What the FIA is now using, is the Safety Rules for roll cage design and other important safety feature....and here the are using the SCTA rules....

A big different is the 1 hour turnaround....for a lot of teams it is maybe tough to do this....the design of a lot of racer are not taking care for the 1 hour...and for the FIA it means a handicap.....with the today numbers of starters on the SCTA and USFRA events it would impossible to run under the 1 hour rule, also it is questioned if this 1 hour still make sense, especially from the view of safety......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline DallasV

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
I've seen 2 comments about the one hour turn around and different directions with wind being a handicap factor for FIA/FIM. On the other side of the fence SCTA/USFRA only gets a 5 mile curse regardless of track condition where FIA/FIM could get 6 or 7. I see that as an equalizer or possible advantage.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »
Dallas said:  "...a 5 mile curse..."

Yeah, I've had lousy runs like that, too. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DallasV

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 12:57:31 PM »
Dallas said:  "...a 5 mile curse..."

Yeah, I've had lousy runs like that, too. :roll:

It was a typo but I'm leaving it. It actually makes more sense with recent conditions
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.