Author Topic: Motorcycle Neck Restraint  (Read 21319 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Motorcycle Neck Restraint
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »
I told myself a few years ago that if/when I started racing, I would make myself wear a neck restraint.  Well, I have a set of leathers picked out, which has a speed hump.  Does anyone have experience with using a motor bike neck restraint, similar to a Leatt STX RR, with a speed hump?  Can you even have both?  I have found some go kart neck supports that look like they may work too.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle Neck Restraint
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »
Before we go farther - is the speed hump allowed in the class(es) you'll be running?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:14:04 PM »
Before we go farther - is the speed hump allowed in the class(es) you'll be running?

I am aware that I can only qualify for streamlined records with those leathers.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »

I am aware that I can only qualify for streamlined records with those leathers.

If you are racing SCTA/BNI then you probably also know you would have to meet the safety requirements of those records.  I don't know the bike rules, so I might be wrong, and it might not require any additional safety equipment vs. what you are planning on running.  I'd get opinions here but my final call would be to where you were buying the restraints from.

Good luck,

Sumner

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
Bonneville is most likely the only place I will run. Currently, head and neck restraints are not required for motor bikes.  And, I can not seeing them being required in the near future.  But, one never knows...

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »
The Go-Kart neck restraints that we used probably would not work that well at Bonneville, especially if your on a fast bike. Up to around 100 MPH they would be OK, but over that I think they would probably blow off.

Those restraints did fill good if you got off on your head thou, and don't ask me how I know that.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
For reference, this is the go kart collar I found;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322392982365

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
Make sure to tuck into a full crouch when tying out the protector.  It should not push your helmet forward so it blocks your view.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 06:56:29 AM »
Being the long skinny drink of water that I am, I've always had a hassle trying to get tucked in - and see where the heck I'm going.  The top of the eye-sot (well, what should I call it?) obscures forward vision.

But if I tuck down and cram the chin part of the helmet hard against the tank - the helmet is forced vertically up - and I gain some seeing out of that top of the slot.

But what about safety - have I compromised some of the safety designed into the helmet by wearing/using it incorrectly?  I've often wondered.  Comments?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
Being the long skinny drink of water that I am, I've always had a hassle trying to get tucked in - and see where the heck I'm going.  The top of the eye-sot (well, what should I call it?) obscures forward vision.

But if I tuck down and cram the chin part of the helmet hard against the tank - the helmet is forced vertically up - and I gain some seeing out of that top of the slot.

But what about safety - have I compromised some of the safety designed into the helmet by wearing/using it incorrectly?  I've often wondered.  Comments?

In my opinion, how you position yourself while riding has little effect on safety.  As long as you are wearing your gear as suggested.  Your gear will be doing something completely different as you are flying, and tumbling, and sliding, etc.  That is when it matters.  The only thing I can see being "unsafe" while tucked in, would be binding up your neck/spine.  One hard bounce from a hole, and you could do some damage.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »
Justin said:  "...One hard bounce from a hole, and you could do some damage."

Exactly my point.  Add the simple physical stress of having that un-natural crook in the neck and it can really be unfun.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
Justin said:  "...One hard bounce from a hole, and you could do some damage."

Exactly my point.  Add the simple physical stress of having that un-natural crook in the neck and it can really be unfun.

Less fun than going through a mile marker?   :-D

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »
At the BUB race in 2014 I "departed" my bike going way over 200 MPH. I was doing exactly what Jon was doing - hitching up my helmet so that I could see. I was not wearing a neck restraint but it sure would not have hurt. Although I had my eyes closed I could feel myself sliding and tumbling for over 1/4 mile. I also could hear and feel a BANG swish swish BANG, which was my helmet hitting the salt every time I tumbled. Luckily my neck did not get hurt, but I did get many big burns and a broken finger and broken clavicle.

So even though my helmet was tilted up as I was riding, as soon as I started tumbling it resumed its normal position. The helmet had a lot of scratches and scuffs and lost its visor but my head was fine. 

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »
The salesman who sold me the race helmet at the Triumph dealer is a racer and was trained to fit lids by the Shoei or Arai helmet representative.  He said the helmet should fit snug so the stress between the head and the helmet is distributed over as much surface area as possible when you crash.

Arai makes helmets for all sorts of head shapes.  He found one to fit my noggin.  Then, he showed me how to tighten the strap.  He said to tighten it enough so the helmet does not move around when I go into a crouch.  His reasoning is that if I get a hit from the front, side, or rear, most stress will be on the side of my head and some will also be distributed to the top.  That stress distribution away from the immediate area of the contact patch is harder to obtain if it is loose.

As tempting as it is, it is not wear a helmet loose, I am told. 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
Justin then said:  "...Less fun than going through a mile marker?   grin..."

Oh, you remember that, hey? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com