Author Topic: Front runners and heavy cars  (Read 5027 times)

Offline feistdj

• New folks
Front runners and heavy cars
« on: January 16, 2017, 02:06:49 AM »
Just doing a survey of the weight of cars going over 200 with front runners on all 4 corners or on front. I have a 5000 lb truck  with a class record of 215. It's not front heavy & has a 50:50 weight ratio from to rear.

Struggling with a decision on tires.  :dhorse:

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Front runners and heavy cars
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
  Keep in mind that there is a large difference between "drag race" Front Runners and "LSR" Front runners (both in PLY's and cost!) and that NO brands "drag race" tires are LSR speed rated.
  Most vehicles weighing over 3,000 lbs. or over 200 mph run the LSR front runners on all four corners if the vehicles horsepower and torque allow it.  Vehicle weight doesn't seem to matter however if You google Carrol Shelby Enterprises they have charts showing sizes available and weight bearing capacity of each sizes along with suggested rim width and PSI needed.
                                                                                                                  Bob Drury
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:30:45 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »
  Whoop's, I just went to their site and they no longer list weight per tire but in looking back at charts I have from ten years ago they list the LSR front runners as having a max load capacity of 1,700 lbs at 80 psi with a max speed rating of 300 mph.  This is or at least was true for all sizes with the exception of the 8.00/8.20 X 15 tire (no longer listed) which has a max load of 3,000 lbs and a max psi of 70 lbs.
                                                                                              Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:15:06 PM »
  Double whoop's.  I just checked on the M/T front runnner's and according to their current chart's only their 29 x 4.5 X 15 front runner is not rated for LSR.
  Aproximatly one Year ago their site stated a disclaimer for ALL of their front runner tires not being rated for LSR so either they have been testing their tires or someone in sales is blowing smoke.
  If You are considering their front runners it would be wise to call their Tire Headquarters at (330) 928-9092.
                                                                                     Bob
Bob Drury

Offline GH

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »
When I went the first year I had Goodyear front runners on all four wheels. The inspectors told me not to use them on the drive wheels. I purchased the LSR front runners for all four wheels, the car weighed 4800 and went 248 MPH.

Offline feistdj

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »
Thanks for the input. Similar truck runs vintage Dunlops that are no longer made. I have done quite a bit of research, I realize goodyear front runners (drag) & their LSR tires are 2 different animals.

I contacted M/T several months ago & they stated their front runners (most) are able to be used for land speed & are rated for 1400 lbs.

Sounds like goodyear LSR's on all 4 corners may be the safest.

Offline feistdj

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »
The rep @ M/T would not comment on using their tires for drive tires.