Author Topic: Clutches for Clutchless Transmissions  (Read 10123 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Clutches for Clutchless Transmissions
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 01:17:20 AM »
I'm probably missing the point here. A "clutchless" transmission is perfectly happy being used as a "clutched" transmission. Why not simply use a foot-operated clutch? :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
I'm probably missing the point here. A "clutchless" transmission is perfectly happy being used as a "clutched" transmission. Why not simply use a foot-operated clutch? :?

I'm wondering if the concern is past the transmission and is the rear-end?

Sumner

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:10 AM »
 Shift slower=no shock.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 10:00:02 AM »
Ask Al Teague and Carl Pace for pointers on slow shifts. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
It was a specials experience to listen to Al Teague's runs at Bonneville. Especially one early in the morning when everything else was quiet and all you could hear was the uninterrupted sound of his run. You'd think he was in high gear as the sound of the car pulling would go on for ever, and then you'd hear him shift gears again. WOW

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
It was interesting watching the Phoenix run - from the pits, for instance.  You'd see the black smoke in a long straight line then nothing for a few hundred yards (as he shifted) then the smoke would make that line again for a mile or so, then another blank space. . .

Special stuff to remember. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 11:10:45 AM »
It was interesting watching the Phoenix run - from the pits, for instance.  You'd see the black smoke in a long straight line then nothing for a few hundred yards (as he shifted) then the smoke would make that line again for a mile or so, then another blank space. . .

Special stuff to remember. :-D

Amen to that, Jon.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:19 AM »
Guys you are all right-all of those ideas would work

--We are just trying to get away for everything you all have mentioned  The shock loads the conventional clutch and the long pauses.

We are trying to treat it as a 4 mile drag race with a on mile trap or a 1.3 mile drag race in the case of El Mirage.  To run on hard records above 220 at El M or 315 at B'ville we will need every possible second of time to accelerate with limited traction and we are going to have to dramatically narrow our operating range with closer gear splits
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Paolo Castellano

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »
Hey I'm just throwing something up against the wall here Sparky, so don't laugh before you think about it.

The motorcycle folks use an ignition kill for just a few Milli seconds to shift. If you set something like that up on your shifter, that should soften the hit. Simple to do and shouldn't cost to much. All providing your engine combination will stand such a thing.

Rouse 

This is what I was thinking.

Just cut the ignition and ramp in the power accordingly after the shift to soften the hit of the shift and keep the rear tires loaded for minimal slippage.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »
Back to Eddie's CS post we are working to deal with the INERTIAL shock loads cased by the RMP differences these are loads not dependent up on Power to Break stuff but rotating mass that must be brought to the same speeds-- the ing. blip could help

but if we can control the clutch as it moves from full clamp, to partial clamp then  returning to full clamp we should have a more controllable journey.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!