Author Topic: Clutches for Clutchless Transmissions  (Read 10126 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Clutches for Clutchless Transmissions
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »
I am doing research on clutches for clutch less transmissions ---is there anyway to soften the shift
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Crackerman

Re: Clutches for Clutchless Transmissions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
If ibam not mistaken. Its all mechanical interaction, no slipping, no physical way to soften the shift in the driveline due to intertia of mass changing relative speeds.

However, careful timing control/retard during and directly after shift ought to keep the spike down some.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 05:27:46 PM »
You can always consider putting a “soft” or compliant member in the driveline.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:52:27 PM »
Compliant is good I am thinking of a silicon coupling like GM used on some of there AWD vechicles
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
I read on one of the clutchless sites that a clutch that slips a bit at shift was absolutly necessesary to prevent breakage of parts. That would be a fine line at drag racing traction but I don't think at the salt that would be a problem unless you're like some that weigh 7000 pounds.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 02:24:53 PM »
On Jerico's site, one the second page of the "break in procedures", it talks about clutch slippage on shifts.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline jl222

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »

We back off the throttle some when we shift, sometimes :roll: Less air in tires might help.
 We can soften the shocks and springs and have a longer instant center to soften the hit. But were sprung.

JL222

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Could you increase the stroke of the springs on the friction plate?  These are really designed to smooth out the pulses from the engine..... or add another set of them?
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 02:42:09 PM »
I am doing research on clutches for clutch less transmissions ---is there anyway to soften the shift
What's the story here Sparky, are you trying to complicate the tank more than it is now or are you going drag racing with the Firechicken?
  Sid.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »
Hey I'm just throwing something up against the wall here Sparky, so don't laugh before you think about it.

The motorcycle folks use an ignition kill for just a few Milli seconds to shift. If you set something like that up on your shifter, that should soften the hit. Simple to do and shouldn't cost to much. All providing your engine combination will stand such a thing.

Rouse 
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 09:18:24 PM »
I read on one of the clutchless sites that a clutch that slips a bit at shift was absolutly necessesary to prevent breakage of parts. That would be a fine line at drag racing traction but I don't think at the salt that would be a problem unless you're like some that weigh 7000 pounds.

Ron

The problem isn't weight or traction,  something has to absorb the energy from the sudden change in rpm,  with big power it will usually snap something before it has a chance to try to spin the tires. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
Well we are making some progress---thanks to PMs--- from some pretty fast guys---lots of phone calls---and the very beginning to grasp the ways to change the clutch induced shock loads.

this is what I think is a way to help the problem---
a multi disc clutch that has adjustable springs and 6 adjustable or changeable levers to be able to change the static clamp for coming off the line and getting up to eng speeds where the centrifical clamp load starts to apply

The trick is now going to be how to figure out the rpm the eng will live and thrive with a rpm adjustment of clutch where the drive train can handle the recp. mass  inertia loads on the drive train with the instaneous up shift.

So does anyone know where there may be some old BBC pro-stock clutches laying around?  :-D

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
Racing Junk  Sparky,  plenty of clutches/trans stuff on there

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »
Sparky,
I think you need to sit down and think about what you are trying to do.
A drag racing clutch is generally set up to slip coming off the line with centrifugal weights to effect lockup of the clutch at high rpm.
This is almost the inverse of what you want.
You want a clutch that slips at a torque level above your maximum nominal output torque but below a level that would damage the driveline.  This is not rpm dependant.  Centrifugal control is not workable.  You are asking the clutch to pass your maximum torque, and then at a shift point, magically slip at any marginally higher torque (which would be induced by inertial effects at essentially the same, or lower, rpm). 
All you need is an adjustable preload clutch that behaves very well.  And, once slipping doesn’t just keep on slipping and overheating and wearing out and becoming an adjustment/maintenance headache.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
I O  you are spot on---

But I THINK the secret is going to be to set the max clamp above the RPM shift point of my shift range so that I am not using near what the centrifical clamp range is capable of at what ever the Max clamp is set at:  ie use only as much as is needed

Again thanks to all who posted---every little bit helps stimulate the evaluation process---what a great resource we have with this website
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:04:15 PM by SPARKY »