Author Topic: Nick Arias  (Read 4360 times)

Offline jdincau

Nick Arias
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »
Hello all,
     I am sad to report that Nick Arias passed away in his sleep last night. A friend and mentor of 55 years he will be missed.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Nick Arias
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
I have known him since the 50s. What a great person and friend to the racers .We will miss you Nick. God Speed. :-(
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:26:28 PM »
GodSpeed Nick.... another hot rod hero is gone...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 09:19:47 PM »
Wow...

Another great one has left us.

When you think pioneer in the high performance industry, when you think back on the history of racing, when you imagine what the hot rod parts business was when it started. Nick Arias was there.
He not only developed pistons for anything from a lawn mower to a top fueler he dreamed of engines, & engine design. Everyone running around now talking 5" bore centers on a big block chevy, hell Nick did that back in the 1970's. He built the 8.3 liter engine with hemi heads then later refined that to a whole new package he called the 10 liter. Yes, 636 cu. in. of hemi running in off shore power boats along with a host of tractor pullers & drag boats. Why didn't we see it in NHRA, because they banned it!
Nick's history is long & varied, but I think he was proudest when he ran his own beautiful lakester at the Bonneville Salt Flats.
The truth be told, many small time racers owe him a huge debit of gratitude. All those cars you see running around with Arias decals on them means Nick most likely gave that racer a set of "Slugs" as he called them. Lots of decals out there.... lots.

God Speed Nick     
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:57:14 AM »
Nick made our fuel slugs for our Kawasaki 60 inch ZX10 motor. Our first real fuel motor, got me in the 200 MPH club at 221. He was a great man. RIP 
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:56:47 AM »
WOW!!   RIP Nick.    My condolences to the Arias family.

Way back in the late 60's/early 70's when I first got serious about racing engines, Nick was the only supplier who would make forged pistons for the "orphan a$$ foreign stuff" I was working on.   He was a great guy.

GodSpeed Nick . . . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »
Wow...

Another great one has left us.

When you think pioneer in the high performance industry, when you think back on the history of racing, when you imagine what the hot rod parts business was when it started. Nick Arias was there.
He not only developed pistons for anything from a lawn mower to a top fueler he dreamed of engines, & engine design. Everyone running around now talking 5" bore centers on a big block chevy, hell Nick did that back in the 1970's. He built the 8.3 liter engine with hemi heads then later refined that to a whole new package he called the 10 liter. Yes, 636 cu. in. of hemi running in off shore power boats along with a host of tractor pullers & drag boats. Why didn't we see it in NHRA, because they banned it!
Nick's history is long & varied, but I think he was proudest when he ran his own beautiful lakester at the Bonneville Salt Flats.
The truth be told, many small time racers owe him a huge debit of gratitude. All those cars you see running around with Arias decals on them means Nick most likely gave that racer a set of "Slugs" as he called them. Lots of decals out there.... lots.

God Speed Nick     

Well written & so true, one of the last great pioneers who wrote history.
  Sid.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »
Nick and I have been friends for many years. Our shared love of the GMC 6's brought us and kept us together. My engines have used his equipment and his knowledge to set all the Bonneville and El Mirage records I was ever lucky enough to have.

I had the pleasure of having lunch with him many times and also being at the same table with Nick and Ed Iskendarian at the 200 mph banquets. The stories those 2 could tell !

I will miss my friend...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »
Very sad for me to hear. Nick was the shop foreman at my Dad's place when Wayne Manufacturing was in the 12 port business. My Dad put Nick and the late Bob Toros together to purchase the Venolia Piston Company from Frank Venolia.. I have enjoyed my meetings with Nick at the races and car shows.

Joanie and I send our prayers to the family,

RIP my friend.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline MRK

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »
Sad news about another legend gone. RIP Mr.Arias.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
Definitely sad to hear.  Was good to see him at Speed Week this past year.  Nicky, your dad was a legend. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

velocity

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 09:04:37 PM »
Well now, "in his sleep" was the only part of the news that gladdened me. Nick Jr. sure loved his hot rods and lived life with powerful quietness, often letting his work speak for itself at WOT. He imbued that love into his son, NAIII, who remains to carry on the family heritage. This past year at Speed Week, I was downloading pics and transcribing notes when Nick Jr. showed up with another guy at the Metro Cafe, which was jammed full. Never was I more pleased to put work away and offered the gents a place to dine. What transpired was a couple hours of good, hard historical bench racing - off the record. Now that's good way to remember someone on a personal level who was giant in motorsports.

I will say he was very pleased to let me know his son was working the starting line and made sure I went over to see him. I responded that I already had great shots of the next generation giving back to a sport he helped raise to prominence from nothing.

And I will acknowledge the unfailing support that Arias Pistons has provided to the Dry Lakes Racing Hall of Fame - never, since I have been editor, has a program gone to print without a FULL PAGE ad to support current year inductees.

Nick Jr. knew how much land speed racing gave him and he and his family give back in aces.

My God bless and keep the Arias family

LandSpeed Louise

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 07:07:58 AM »
A great man, a great loss but a great example and memory left  with us.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM