Author Topic: 27 Ford Modified Fuel Roadster  (Read 18813 times)

27D/MFR

Re: 27 Ford Modified Fuel Roadster
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 09:51:57 PM »
More...

27D/MFR

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
Still more......

27D/MFR

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 10:21:01 PM »
Last group for the eve...

Offline jl222

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 03:27:23 AM »

Lookin good, but it looks like the engine could go back some and put more weight on rear tires. As long as you can get the heads off or mag if chev.

JL222

27D/MFR

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 06:36:07 AM »
JL,
I may do that. Originally when I was dreaming this sucker up, I envisioned having the midplate be the firewall but the transmission really takes up a ton of the drivers area. Along with weighing the rear, moving it back would also help the header issue.

Questions for yall:
-Having read post here where folks have informed others to make the drivers area roomy, I made my shoulder rail 22" inside to inside wide. As it stands, I don't have to contort my shoulders (w/ heavy coat) at all to fit between. My concern is with the roll cage being too wide at the base. Any thoughts?
-Plane of crankshaft is parallel with the frame rails and the trans pan (Overdrive GM auto) is now angled as originally it was designed to be in a car where the powertrain was angled back. Is this an issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »

If the lower seat pan needs to me tightened up, just go to bald spot sports and order a small or medium seat foam seat pour. Suite up, have someone pour a seat, carve it up to fit the way you want and install the nomex covering. http://baldspotsports.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=50

my 2 cents

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline krusty

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
Moving the engine rearward to the firewall would not gain you any significant advantage vs. ease of maintenance & driver comfort as you are going to need to add a lot of rear weight with a good D engine on fuel (even only straight alky). Plus you'll want the weight on the front to preserve good handling.

vic

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »
Moving the engine rearward to the firewall would not gain you any significant advantage vs. ease of maintenance & driver comfort as you are going to need to add a lot of rear weight with a good D engine on fuel (even only straight alky). Plus you'll want the weight on the front to preserve good handling.

vic
Ditto!
  Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
If you are planning to run a dry sump oil system then you could drop the engine almost to the very bottom of the main rails which would help you with the headers. Please don't use Zoomies at least in the classic definition, you don't need the down force, that is why God invented ballast for salt racers, check out the headers on the Contrivance Engineering car, straight out of the port, all in one plane and with a turn at the end to get some thrust then covers over the headers with an aero tail on the last pipe. Effective and low drag! See pic.

Rex 
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

27D/MFR

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 09:18:15 AM »
Love that exhaust! Thanks for the picture.

Offline jl222

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »

vic
Ditto!
  Sid.

As far as weight on front, its not even a rear engine roadster.

JL222

Offline krusty

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
It looks like it is using a good chunk of the wheelbase allowance that is shared by both front and rear engined roadsters. To perform in the 800 -950 flywheel hp area it'll need to weigh 4k # +. My experience with our rear engined car is to keep front weight close to 35% of total to preserve comfortable handling. Above 265 mph I don't yet know.  For comparison, the car in my avatar is 175 1/2" wb (wish I'd originally built it to the max 190). Front vs rear engined mod roadsters are much more similar in handling than, say, a front engined mod roadster vs a short wheelbase Camaro.

vic

27D/MFR

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »
You are correct sir, the wheelbase is 183" and change. I originally thought about making it a rear engined roadster but I couldn't figure out how to do the transition of what is essentially a rear engine dragster to a roadster. Anthony Young (#54) did a nice job but the front end looks to wide for my liking. That car was the first car I ever saw make a run as 2013 was the first time I went to SW. Nitro injected hemi smelled and sounded so good. 

Offline jl222

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »
It looks like it is using a good chunk of the wheelbase allowance that is shared by both front and rear engined roadsters. To perform in the 800 -950 flywheel hp area it'll need to weigh 4k # +. My experience with our rear engined car is to keep front weight close to 35% of total to preserve comfortable handling. Above 265 mph I don't yet know.  For comparison, the car in my avatar is 175 1/2" wb (wish I'd originally built it to the max 190). Front vs rear engined mod roadsters are much more similar in handling than, say, a front engined mod roadster vs a short wheelbase Camaro.

vic

35% front or 65% rear that's what Carroll Smith suggest for a race car to be competitive and in the book
  "The 1000 hp Formula 1 Cars'' some tried 62% and had to go back to 65%

JL222
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:20:09 PM by jl222 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 07:16:14 PM »
Carroll was referring to road-racing cars where weight is needed on the rear wheels for traction under acceleration but weight transfer to the front is experienced under heavy braking. The 35% becomes 50% and the 65% becomes 50%.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ