Author Topic: 27 Ford Modified Fuel Roadster  (Read 18819 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: 27 Ford Modified Fuel Roadster
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
There is a picture of my father when he was a teenager just before WWII where he lived in Tulsa.  He is in his Model B Ford with the top chopped off.  There is a long history of Ford hot-rodding in that town.

Offline GH

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
Looks like you have a good start, enjoy the build.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
I do this every time someone starts a modified roadster so sorry if this is repeating myself. I am attaching pics of the most successful modified roadster that has ever ran. It now holds or has held at one time every modified roadster record from E to AA  and several blown records. If you want to go fast copy these guys or build a "belly scraper" style and chase them. The first pics shows the car, not one of your real "beautiful" cars but the second pic is a beautiful pic especially if it is on your car!

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 04:12:39 PM »
Note, if you will, that the first photo was taken in (obviously) Impound.  That tells ya somethin' right there, doesn't it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
I don't think they bother to actually maintain a usual pit any more.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 06:52:54 PM »
I do this every time someone starts a modified roadster so sorry if this is repeating myself. I am attaching pics of the most successful modified roadster that has ever ran. It now holds or has held at one time every modified roadster record from E to AA  and several blown records. If you want to go fast copy these guys or build a "belly scraper" style and chase them. The first pics shows the car, not one of your real "beautiful" cars but the second pic is a beautiful pic especially if it is on your car!

It never gets old with me Rex, I don't believe in the salt scraper theory either!
  Sid.

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »

Those are my sons Kevin & Ryan, we chase those Contrivance guys. They are REAL GOOD. We were just try'in to see how SMALL a '23 T was compaired to a '27. More to it than that but frontal is substantially small with a 23T.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

27D/MFR

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 08:33:33 AM »
Enjoying reading everyone's posts. Made some progress yesterday bending and tacking in some tubing. I'm trying to have it ready for SW 2018 (venue question).

27D/MFR

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Wobbly,
Yes there is a Yuge (Bernie) hot rodding/racing presence in T-Town. My first job in high school was working summers for Steve Carbone tearing engines down and washing parts. Also back in my younger years, I used to deliver parts and hang out with Bennie Osborn and his dad Jack. Lesser known but still a cool guy is Mike Brown, a junior fuel dragster driver who was a customer of mine when I owned a store in Sapulpa, OK. There are many others that I can't think of at the moment.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »
How does the song go? "I never been to heaven but I been to Oklahoma!" Got several great friends there and have always enjoyed visiting them. Nice progress on your roadster,keep the pics coming.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »
I really like your jig. I've built a couple almost identical to that when I worked for other people but I always used I beam for the cross pieces on top. I really like your use of steel angle and I like your stops to locate the rails. Great work so far. I'm definitely keeping a watch on this one.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

27D/MFR

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
Thanks for the comments.
I bought those little clamps and the little c-clamps on Amazon for almost nothing. Not the best quality but for the price.....  I have to maintain some semblance of a budget. Lol, for years when my wife sends me to Home Depot or Lowes, I sneak in the purchase of a small tool (files, wire strippers, clamps, etc.). Needless to say, I've been busted many times!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »
Let's see -- would I rather be busted for a new pair of diagonal clippers --

Or a new set of Brodix heads?

Next question? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
I think there is as much help in the rear deck as the front
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

27D/MFR

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
More mocking up. This time the body, rearend, and the engine/trans. Found an issue of the number 1 and 2 exhausts being too close to the top rail. I may have to put a dip in the rail to clear the headers/zoomies.