Author Topic: Jack's Garage  (Read 18603 times)

Offline Freud

Jack's Garage
« on: December 23, 2016, 07:03:53 PM »
This is better than a death announcement, but not great.

Jack Underwood, Fountain Valley, CA, is in a declining health situation.

His energy is declining and  bed is his favorite place.

If Jack's Garage sessions had been filmed for the past 30 years

there wouldn't be much that wasn't discussed.

It's a sad situation. Another Old Timer ready to pull the chute.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: Jack's Garage
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »
It looks like a great get together.
The fellow with the lime green stripes looks familiar but don't think that I know him personally.

Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 01:50:48 AM »
You may know him. He was one of the group from across the

nation that came to the roadster show in January.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »
We always visited Jack at his garage each January. Every visit has been a pleasure the care his friends took with getting the garage ready every morning is impressive. Not seeing Jack next month will be sad for sure.  :cry:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 03:31:46 PM »
Don't give up. He may make it to his chair.

If not, Nita will do just fine as a "fill in."

After all these years she probably knows the

answers. He was up, showered and walked

to the garage door the other day.

Keep the faith. If you have borrowed an

tools or parts from him bring 'em back.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
Jack is feeling much better and is back out in the garage mornings. I visited with him today with 6 others..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:24:50 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Jack's a tough one and he adds so much

when it comes to our history. I'll see him

Sunday morning after the El Mirage Banquet,

Jan 22, 2017

Fair warning, Jack's Garage.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
An e-mail from Jack's wife does not sound good. His BP and sugar levels

are fine but he won't even sit up in bed. As of today (Wed Feb 1, 2017)

the garage is closed. As you can well imagine he wants no contact with

the doctor. We can certainly hope for better results. Nita asked

for continuing prayers.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:07 PM »
I along with 11 others in our group for Conn  hoped to visit with jack last Saturday when we were in town but it was not to be. Reports on Saturday morning at The Donut Derilicks cruze were the garage has been closed for most of the week. I so wanted to tell him about my rookie experiance on the salt last August prayers for Jack.
 Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
Ronnieroadster, I was at Jack's last year when You were there. Jack was so impressed

that your group always came to the garage when you were out west. I have done a 140

image foto album for him and your group was included.  Yep, we are all apprehensive

regarding Jack's health. What a great part of lakes and B'ville racing he is. We certainly

all respect him and particularly Nita for opening the garage EVERY morning for years.

We love both of You and just hope that prayers aid in his recovery.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
My most recent information is that Jack is not improving.

I hate to bother Nita because I know she has to be

frustrated with the lack of co-operation from Jack.

Patience, prayers and time are our salvation.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »
FREUD
  We appreciate your including our group in the photo album.  Nita was so nice to my wife when we visited showing her paintings and the garden made leaving California to head home to the cold weather a bit harder with my wife fighting the return all the way. On our first visit I was amazed seeing the two roadsters in the driveway what a great lifestyle everything I had imagined as a kid growing up so far from California. Funny thing I guess I never did grow up. Seems Jack has made a decision to rest a lot more its sad for sure  :-(

Offline Freud

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 01:42:16 PM »
THANK YOU, Nita.......

I mailed the foto album last weekend and it arrived Monday.

I had planned the book to be 200 images and had that many printed.

When I went to buy the album the largest I could find was 160 fotos.

So I edited them to still show a story and just left the extras in an

envelope and sent them along. I received an e-mail from Nita yesterday.

The album arrived and she showed Jack. It made him smile. That's an

adequate reward for me. He did not look thru the album but will later.

She said that she will share it with the men when the Garage reopens.

I am overjoyed. Anything that can get a smile out of him is marvelous.

Now improvement in his health is our fervent wish.

Thanks for everyones interest.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »
Jack's wife, Nita, has been at wits end. She was making no headway with Jack.2 days

ago he was on this way to the bathroom and fell. They transported him to the hospital

and now there are tests being done. I don't have any reports but at least he is at a

facility that can observe and treat him. This just has to be better than laying in his bed

and resisting any form of treatment.  As soon as I find out anymore I will post it.

Get well faster, Jack.

FREUD.
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 12:54:06 AM »
I may not have these in the correct order but there is great news about Jack Underwood.

Jack has left the hospital.  They did an Upper GI this morning and all looked good.  She took several biopsies but thinks everything looks good. 

He has moved to Manor Care Fountain Valley (Warner west of Harbor).  Can visit 24/7.  Jack’s case manager said she was going to schedule an appointment for a neutralist.  The attending doctor suggests that I let Manor know of the need of a neurologist and we’ll go from there.

They will start physical therapy tomorrow.

Currently he is in room 306.  But check when you come to visit as his current roommate keeps the room at 78 degrees and refuses to lower the temperature.  He was less than pleasant about it.  The staff will try to find another room with a wider bed.

Jack’s back still hurts him, but the x-ray didn’t show any issues.  Most likely muscle related.  It will just take time.

All is looking much better.

Also … Bob Webb was admitted for fluid in his left lung.  They are going in today to remove a mass?? And drain more fluid.  Bob expects to go home tomorrow, so check before visiting with him at the hospital.  He may be gone from there.  Bob said that Jan was not doing good, so please put them on your prayer list.  Our experience here is that it really helps.  Thanks and God Bless all who pray for us.

Jack is at Manor Care and has been moved to another room with a wider bed.  He is feeling really good about that.
His therapist visited in the morning but did not give him any therapy.  The therapist felt Jack was in too much pain.  Jack’s back hurts him and they seem to forget to give him Tylenol when he asks for it.

The Neurologist called and left a message at around 5pm.  I was visiting with Jack and did not speak with her.  She wants to know some history.  Glad to see she is willing to get involved.  This is a good thing.  Thank you Lord.
Feb24  6 PM

Good news.  Jack did some occupational therapy today and did really well.  He cannot sit for more than an hour however, because of the back pain. 

The physical therapist got him up and took 2 or 3 steps.  Jack’s a little shaky standing.  The therapist said “That’s enough for today”.  Hope Jack can do more tomorrow.  His mental state is normal (no wisecracks) and is eating well.  Hope he doesn’t put that weight back on.  He has lost 70 pounds since this time last year when he was at Manor Care.  Still a big guy though.

God Bless………………………N(ita Underwood)

This give more hope than anything else for the past 6 weeks. I'll try to keep up as the days go by.

FREUD
Since '63