Author Topic: 200MPH Vintage Class Bike Build  (Read 77400 times)

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
Re: 200MPH Vintage Class Bike Build
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 05:35:01 PM »
Tom you comparing my design to Tom's APS, pretty cool, but other than the tail section all is different and the tail is just common aerodynamics.

SSS that is a good point, it won't be very comfortable but the good news is that it is more comfortable than my A (open class) bike.

tortoise->eagle eyes!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 05:54:01 PM »
"...Scrolling at the top of his web page, there's a little photo of his 175 mph bike being ridden in a full tuck in a similar position."

That doesn't discuss if he was short of breath.  I mention it because it does happen - to me, and likely to others.  A scrunched-up tuck, while riding for a couple of minutes hoping you're going at a record-breaking pace - can get you short of O2. :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »
Alp,
Your concept drawing is an excellent example of what to strive for.  But I would suggest you measure your body, arms, legs, etc, and then make a simple drawing of yourself and superimpose your body on your concept.  I don't think you'll fit!  Check this out.

After building my prototype out of wood, I found that I couldn't fit in the bike and had to lengthen it.  Your concept and frame as shown seem to be plenty long, but my question is can you fit within the height as shown in the concept?  I'm only trying to get you to think ahead, as I'm sure you'll get there.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:00:40 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline JimL

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2016, 12:25:59 AM »
One possible challenge could be your current helmet Snell date.  When I had to replace my helmet, near the end of my racing years, I found the newest helmets have tightened up around the bottom and are lower across the back of the neck.  It made the new helmet much more difficult to see with, because it couldn't be pushed up far enough.  Kind of watch out for that little "gotcha" depending on where your current helmet stands with the rule book.

You smaller, younger, more flexible guys are the right riders to do this job!  Good luck and stay safe.

JimL

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2016, 09:57:29 AM »
Looks like I might fit on your bike, even if you don't!
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »
Reminds me of the "Norton Kneeler" race bike,,,,, it was very fast in its day......

Robert

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2016, 04:26:18 PM »
We are have experienced the same problem in the Lakester class---in reverse---some of us are having problems pulling it down on our heads far enough
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2016, 08:58:36 PM »
Alp,
Your concept drawing is an excellent example of what to strive for.  But I would suggest you measure your body, arms, legs, etc, and then make a simple drawing of yourself and superimpose your body on your concept.  I don't think you'll fit!  Check this out.

After building my prototype out of wood, I found that I couldn't fit in the bike and had to lengthen it.  Your concept and frame as shown seem to be plenty long, but my question is can you fit within the height as shown in the concept?  I'm only trying to get you to think ahead, as I'm sure you'll get there.

Tom

Thank you Tom, you have lots of experience with the APS class... The sitting position is not quite right, the forearms are visible in your sketch.

One possible challenge could be your current helmet Snell date.  When I had to replace my helmet, near the end of my racing years, I found the newest helmets have tightened up around the bottom and are lower across the back of the neck.  It made the new helmet much more difficult to see with, because it couldn't be pushed up far enough.  Kind of watch out for that little "gotcha" depending on where your current helmet stands with the rule book.

You smaller, younger, more flexible guys are the right riders to do this job!  Good luck and stay safe.

JimL

Thank you JimL

Offline baron

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2016, 09:03:34 PM »
For what its worth; my bike in this wind tunnel footage had a .34 C of D. This footage shows the configuration; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sun89HVL5Jk Top speed on 44 sea level HP was 155mph. The front fairing is not tall enough here so we upped its height by 1.5 inches as you see with the foam core mock-up in the footage. I was too obsessed with frontal area.

The newer version with the tail closed off and the small aluminum front wheel which then allowed additional chin/bodywork has a C of D coming in around .235. There is an image at this blogpost; http://kolblsr.blogspot.com Not sure of the top speed yet due to the salt condition issue but based on our data it should go 165mph on 46HP.

I don't have access to my pictures at the moment so i hope those links work. I forget what my frontal area is but i can get it to you when i return in a couple weeks. Yes it could be better if i closed in around my legs and arms but I'm paranoid about getting tangled up in the bike in a wreck. Paranoid i know.

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 09:11:37 PM »
For what its worth; my bike in this wind tunnel footage had a .34 C of D. This footage shows the configuration; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sun89HVL5Jk Top speed on 44 sea level HP was 155mph. The front fairing is not tall enough here so we upped its height by 1.5 inches as you see with the foam core mock-up in the footage. I was too obsessed with frontal area.

The newer version with the tail closed off and the small aluminum front wheel which then allowed additional chin/bodywork has a C of D coming in around .235. There is an image at this blogpost; http://kolblsr.blogspot.com Not sure of the top speed yet due to the salt condition issue but based on our data it should go 165mph on 46HP.

I don't have access to my pictures at the moment so i hope those links work. I forget what my frontal area is but i can get it to you when i return in a couple weeks. Yes it could be better if i closed in around my legs and arms but I'm paranoid about getting tangled up in the bike in a wreck. Paranoid i know.

Thank you Baron, your bike looks very well build and nice looking.
Have you achieved the Coefficient of Drag in around .235 with this version of your bike?

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2016, 10:12:16 PM »
 "The uncomfortable sitting position reduces the cut off area and there are no gaps between body parts, you pull your knees all the way up to your chest and line them up with your elbows, your feet are right under your butt with top off feet facing downwards and toes facing backwards "

I remember when I could do that.  I think it was about 1978.  :roll:

Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline baron

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2016, 10:28:09 PM »
Lots of stretching goes a long way for the bike comfort, the rest is mental!

Yes, .235 in the the photo you referenced sir.

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2016, 10:45:36 PM »
Very impressive!
E-Racer

Offline astek

• Alp Racing & Design
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2016, 02:48:52 AM »
Frame not done yet.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2016, 03:43:40 PM »
May I ask the material specs for the frame?  I like the adjustment you've built into the rear end.   :cheers:
E-Racer