Author Topic: **SURVEY** IC or charge air cooler temperatures?  (Read 13179 times)

Offline 1JZ-GTE

• New folks
**SURVEY** IC or charge air cooler temperatures?
« on: December 14, 2016, 11:23:58 PM »
did a search but nothing turned up... wondering what the (ice)water temperature (going into the IC) on air to water intercoolers on a really efficient system would be.
NA as well as charged systems. also how much air temperature drop can they provide?

thank you,
Joe

Offline maj

Re: **SURVEY** IC or charge air cooler temperatures?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 03:46:30 PM »
Dont know about a realy efficant system, but on our 750cc bike with ice/water tank in rear and intercooler as part of the plenum at 25-28 psi inlet pressure we commonly have 30C inlet temp for most of the run then gain 1 deg/sec as we loose ice

i have also tested with bigger intercooler on bigger bike at 20-25C post intercooler and got down to  0-5 with E85  measured in the port just above the valve (on dyno i expect real use will be a few deg higher)

Other testing with straight methanol as fuel , no intercooler gave 4-5 deg C (40F) at the same point in the inlet port at any boost level , (on dyno again), this may change as things heat soak but still great inlet temps

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 07:06:41 PM »
My past research turned up nothing on the effect of an intercooler on NA applications, but Vizard points out the positive effect of an ice filled "cool can" for fuel lines entering the carburetor in his "Tuning the A-Series Engine".

I think you need to gather more information - engine air flow requirements would be a good starting point.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »
did a search but nothing turned up... wondering what the (ice)water temperature (going into the IC) on air to water intercoolers on a really efficient system would be.
NA as well as charged systems. also how much air temperature drop can they provide?

thank you,
Joe

For really efficient IC:

A1)  32 F
A2)  dT = (Air temp) - (32 F)

So what are your efficiencies, temperatures, and flow rates?

Online jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:21:31 PM »
I use an ice water cooled intercooler in a NA application. Don't know water in and out temps though in should be close to 32*F . Air in is ambient OAT in the 90* range at Bonneville. The air into the engine drops progressively through the run (short course) to high 50's*. I should start the pump sooner I think, but  usually just after engine start at the line which is 30-60 seconds (seems longer and may be some times, haven't measured). So the temp drop in that 70 second run is 30+*. The difference between local air pressure and manifold pressure is 3kPa approx.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 10:35:58 PM »
Jack, I trust that is +3 from ambient to Manifold... pressure from your scoop... with the throttles wide open.  :wink: :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:04:51 AM »
Jack, I trust that is +3 from ambient to Manifold... pressure from your scoop... with the throttles wide open.  :wink: :cheers:
I wish.  I have no clue about accuracy of my measurement/sensors etc, just what the ECU is reading. The scoop I think is well placed at a high pressure area but air has to go through the intercooler, piping bends to an airbox over the injectors. The air box may not be 100% sealed but is reasonably tight. This works to about 0.8" of Hg. (less than standard vacuum through a carb) I have not run it with data logging on without the intercooler to see the comparison. I did run it once at Wilmington (ECTA) without and was several MPH slower. The pressure drop vs gains from the temp drop? Haven't calculated it so...... :?  But I think it works.... (emphasis on "think")  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline 1JZ-GTE

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 12:49:44 AM »
maj:  even 15% ethanol (E85) provides some cooling over straight gas then?

MM: yes xactly what i am doing gathering info, for now. what is the effect of fuel cooling on the stoich ratio?

IO: too early to tell, this is the info gathering part and although i am interested in intercooling for NA applications
      from what i hear it is not entirely clear to me if it really works. intake air cooling might not offset pressure losses 
      from stuffing air though and intercooler?!   you numbers reflect the real world inside a laboratory :)
      what would be really good numbers actually attainable?

Offline John Burk

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 02:52:36 AM »
If you can find space an auto radiator ought to have low pressure drop . More than one in series of needed .

Offline maj

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 02:30:36 PM »
Yes the E85 cools the intake some , Methanol does it better

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 02:41:02 PM »
E85 is 85 percent ethanol not 15. It is blended with 15 percent gasoline to help it light for easy starting. Didn't check the difference in btu between ethanol and methanol.
The Doll, Fox, Christopher (sp?) Camaro went like stink on s***, N/A using NOX as cooling for inter-cooler only.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline 1JZ-GTE

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »
john: sorry, the auto radiator for cooling intake air?

Ron: yes i have heard of that before, works well in diesels too. how much would you have to use where it begins to become effective?

yeah i didnt realize that E85 is mostly alcohol thought it was the other way round.
can e85 be used as a substitute for gas or is it deemed an alternative fuel?

Offline salt27

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »
can e85 be used as a substitute for gas or is it deemed an alternative fuel?

At an SCTA event e85 would be fuel, only event gas is gas.

Of course none of this matters unless you set a record.

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »
Don, that answer doesn't tell me if I can run E85 in Nancy's '14 Subaru.  Will it work just dandy?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
Don, that answer doesn't tell me if I can run E85 in Nancy's '14 Subaru.  Will it work just dandy?

Sure, till it doesn't  :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20