Author Topic: **SURVEY** air displaced by "air pollution" at El Mirage?  (Read 9087 times)

Offline 1JZ-GTE

• New folks
**SURVEY** air displaced by "air pollution" at El Mirage?
« on: January 01, 2017, 12:14:39 AM »
does anyone have an educated guess or a way of calculating how much air is displaced by El Mirages airborne clay :?

pt 1:  alkali soil is likely chock full of minerals, what is its static charge +, or -  :?  what effect might any possible charge have on the air :?
         will the charge, the dirt or BOTH combined, dare i say it, bind the oxygen essentially sequestering it  :?

pt 2: what would be the power loss recovery benefit of scrubbing it, considering all its possible ill-effects :?

pt 3: what is the ill effect of engine wear or more likely gumming caused by it :?

pt4: what does it do to "wet" intercoolers which cool turbo/blower air in conjunction with a pre-blower water mist or even water spray :?
       what do the charge air passages look like, and what is growing in there :?

some competitors use K&N air filters in an effort to protect their engines, which have been shown in an independent test to be utterly ineffective when filtering microscopic
"dirt" particles. paper filtration would be too restrictive, unless implemented on a grand scale. does addressing this have some virtue or should i go back to watching TV :?

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: **SURVEY** air displaced by "air pollution" at El Mirage?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »
Most folk provide just enough filter area to keep air flow restriction at an acceptable minimum.  A lot of the "reputation" for various filtration media are based on these designs.  In reality, good filtration requires more than this.  These are some general rules:

Size the filter to two or three times the minimum needed to keep restriction at a minimum

Place the air box intake in a location as far away from dusty areas as possible

Design a plenum between the filter and the intake to absorb the engine intake pulses so there is a more constant air draw through the filter

In the case of K and N, follow the manufacturer's cleaning and lubing instructions.  Toss the filter and buy a new one if it was ever cleaned by blowing compressed air through it

Use a pre-filtration sock in real dusty areas.

This is what we did on desert race bikes.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »
Idle question:  Way back when I heard the story that paper element - type air filters work with best efficiency when somewhat soiled -- maybe the number was 20% or so.  The rationale behind the story was that if the mfr designed the filter for max cleaning when new -- then lifetime total efficiency would be reduced.

Anybody else hear this, or am I kinda like asking a kindergarten question?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
It's only 1.3 miles - if your engine requires white-room quality air, El Mirage is probably not the place to be racing it.

The silt tends to fall out of suspension pretty quickly, so accurately finding the mean ppm for silt in the air at El Mirage during an event at speed would be a difficult get, and it would change every pass, but that's what you'd need to know before you could begin to determine any benefits of an air scrubber.

How small are the microscopic particles you're looking to screen?

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JR529

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 12:50:04 AM »
You should be so lucky that engine wear due to unfiltered intake air causes your engines demise. If it can run that long in a racing environment then you are doing it wrong!

Even a great motor wont see north of 100 miles before it meets it's maker and you would practically have to ingest gravel to wear it out that fast.

Of course, that's just my opinion, YMMV.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 02:32:01 PM »
^^^^^^^^^  This!!

:cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ