Author Topic: Well, at least there aren't any mosquitos outside today  (Read 7159 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Well, at least there aren't any mosquitos outside today
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 10:47:44 AM »
Okay, Bob - here's a Yooper snowstorm story about driving.  It happened a few years ago while I owned the medical waste disposal company and had a couple of trucks on the road up here.

One nasty winter morning Bill, my cool old driver, called about 8AM - from 150 or so miles to the east.   His route had him leave our shop that morning and drive there, okay?  So at 8 when he called -- he said he'd left the shop early and got to the destination so he could be on the roads when there was no traffic.  (The fact that there were also no plows out at the time was not mentioned).  Anyway, he called to say that he'd heard the road was to be closed officially in a half-hour.  I told him to stay there, of course -- and he said that no, he was calling to say that he was heading back but that he wouldn't be able to stop to call and didn't want me to worry.

After all, it was only a foot or three of drifting snow and dang near zero visibility, so there'd once again be no traffic to bother him.  And sure enough, about four hours later he showed up at the shop, ready for coffee.  Just another day or driving down the road in the UP.

REALLY!!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »
Last night's snow story.
As some of you know, I do 24hr road service for truckers & after putting in another 10hr day on the liner yesterday I hit the road at 11.30pm headed for Agrium Rasmussen Ridge Mine for a stranded fuel tanker with a broken brake can. Only 61 miles & about 1-1/4 hrs in good weather but last night was 3hrs & I had to chain up on H-way 34. I was off the road three times in white-out conditions on the way there, thanks to the Chevy long chassis 4WD diesel dually & a full set of chains I didn't get to spend the night. There's no cell phone service out there, just satellite link & I don't have one. A quick country Kiwi fix on the air lines & I followed his tracks out.
11.30am & i'm having breakfast.
Hindsight:- I should have checked in with Caribou County dispatch before heading up there.  :|
  Sid.     

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »
Typical winter here in America`s high-Five....Sub zero wind chill. another foot of snow forcasted and Milo refuses to leave the house. smart cat
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 01:45:05 PM »
Tonight in Billings they are forecasting an actual -21 with a -45 wind chill. 12 inches of snow so far and another 4 today then 18 Sunday & 30 Monday. It will seem like summer.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 04:35:54 PM »
Billings, the new banana belt. :roll:
  Sid.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 08:45:56 PM »
Slim:

I was in Detroit and drove over to St. Joseph, MI Wed and returned Thurs. That wind coming off the lake was an experience for a Florida boy.

Lets see, Sat. Low of 73 and a high of 83. Yep I am home!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 08:45:53 AM »
You drove west out of Detroit....Good start................ :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
I've made a bitter observation, in that in the last three years, virtually every substantial snow storm we've had in Milwaukee has fallen on weekends, negating the opportunity for a "snow day", in which we get a justifiable excuse not to show up for work.

Despite our snow-filled alley behind the house, we weren't completely stranded this weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/milwaukeemidget/posts/693338877495227

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: