Author Topic: Well, at least there aren't any mosquitos outside today  (Read 7157 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Well, at least there aren't any mosquitos outside today
« on: December 14, 2016, 06:26:18 AM »
Here's the secret to our low population and crime rate and other benefits of living way up north.  Read through our forecast for today. . .

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MIZ005&warncounty=MIC103&firewxzone=MIZ005&local_place1=Skandia%20MI&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook&lat=46.38&lon=-87.23#.WFEr5IV4n7A
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Well, at least there aren't any mosquitos outside today
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
The reasons we Southerners - in places like Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Chicago - refer to the Upper Peninsula as "Up Nort", is because it gets so damned cold, we don't dare stick the tip of our tongues out in order to pronounce the "ð" sound.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 08:56:36 AM »
Please - before you think ill of our weather -- remember, it's just the middle of December, and two weeks ago it was bare ground everywhere up here.  We just got a late start -- it'll turn to REAL winter soon.  Here's a screen shot of a forecast from last winter.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 10:01:36 AM »
Jon,

That forecast is the exact reason I live in South Texas.

I spent two winters in Korea, and for me, that was enough of that kind of weather.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »
Bah....Come down here and share some wind off Lake Michigan with me Jon.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »
Sign in front of the Minot ND Chamber or Commerce used to say -30 keeps out the Riff Raff.... I suspect that is not politically correct anymore.  

But Jon I know you Uppers tend toward exaggeration when it comes to snow... I was headed up there to work, they called to warn me they had 4 feet of snow the night before... it turned out to be only 47 inches... not that you could tell because all the roads were cleared by the time I got there later that day.  It was like driving in a tunnel, except you could still see the sky.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »
I guess I can't comment on the cold but the mozzies here are extreme.
They fly in formation!!!.

Must be gettin old but I'd rather have skates on and playing pond hockey
right now.
I just know Floydjer with have a wisecrack to add but guys at least you have
a real Christmas with snow and all the good stuff. Leave the mozzies to me!!!!!. :-D :cheers:

Offline floydjer

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
Slimster....Break out the pic of the snow-pole from 1978/79
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 12:36:04 PM »
I have no idea as to WHAT a mozzie might be...But I hope they don`t take you home as a war bride Mike.....

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »
Mozzie would be, I betcha, South African for a snack food made from old tires.  It's a specialty there.

As for the pole -- I'll look for it.  I think it's near(est) Delaware, Michigan, and I KNOW it's on US 41.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline GH

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 06:45:59 PM »
SSS, sometime in the early 90's we went drag racing at Mid-Michigan Dragway. That evening back at the motel we were all sitting outside and the giant mosquitos got all over us, the party was over.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »
I have no idea as to WHAT a mozzie might be...But I hope they don`t take you home as a war bride Mike.....
Mozzie= mosquito
Not a problem right now in the American Alps at 6000ft either! :lol:
  Sid.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 09:42:19 PM »
  Way back when... 1968 to be exact I was a bartender in My hometown of Eugene, Oregon.  
  On a otherwise nondescript weeknight about 8 p.m. the customers started coming in wearing snowflakes.  As the evening wore on the waning number of customers coming in the door had more and more snow on them.  Around 11 p.m. I looked outside and there was about 6" in the parking lot and snowing hard.
  I advised the six or eight imbibers that they better leave and head home.  Twenty minutes later I called the wrecker who got the last customers out of the "short cut" they took our of the parking lot and into the mud field next door.
  I closed the bar, cleaned up and jumped into my 67" VW (with flat belly pan) after chaining it up.  There was about ten inches of snow by this time and it was hard to see through the heavy snowfall.  Luckily for Me (or so I thought) the City of Eugene owning few if any snow plows had all of their road graders chained up and clearing the main streets and avenues including the one in front of the bar.  I hoped in the VW and rammed and sledded My way out of the lot and onto the freshly plowed avenue figuring that I was in fat city as long as I stayed on the main roads home.  Did I mention that it was a blizzard and by now at least a foot deep?
  Well anyway, the only chink in the armor turned out to be that for the next three hours I followed the fu*king road grader as I couldn't turn off the road ANY PLACE.  It was leaving a two foot high berm of snow along the edge so where ever He went... I went.
  I eventually got within a quarter mile of My house and ditched the VW in a parking lot and waded on home arriving about 5 a.m.  I should have slept on the Pool Table in the Bar.
  We got between three and four feet of snow by noon the next day and it absolutely shut down Eugene, Oregon for the next three or four days.  It was as if the World had ended... no noise, nobody going anyplace, no work, no going to the store and I am sure there were a sh*t load of kids born nine months later.......
                                                                                O.R.B., out..................................................
Bob Drury

Offline salt27

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »
ORB, The highlight of that 1968 snow for this 11 year old (at the time) was seeing Craig Breedlove's streamliner stranded on a trailer at Rice Hill.

Don
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:14:14 AM by salt27 »

Offline floydjer

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
Ah...Mozzie is S.A. for a giant bug that flys real fast..Hence " Mozzie velocity' :cheers: