Author Topic: Fire Bottle Cert Date Question  (Read 12972 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Fire Bottle Cert Date Question
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:12:39 PM »
Question:

2016 Rule Book, Pg  51 Sec. 3.Q FIRE EXTINGUISHING SYSTEM third from the last paragraph in the section reads: " A current inspection/filling certification (no more than 24 months old) for each agent bottle shall be visible to the technical inspector without removing the bottle".

I read that as my bottles are certified to Sept. 2017, so they are good for up to 24 months after Sept. 2017 or Sept. 2019? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Fire Bottle Cert Date Question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 08:27:40 PM »
On the Vesco liners we check every year and blow out the fire air lines and nozzles.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »
I'd say that Roy Creel would be the guy to ask, but he doesn't hang out here.  He'll be in the Rulebook under SCTA officials.  Shoulda asked me this last Thursday at breakfast.  I saw Roy within an hour of then.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Keith Copeland

• New folks
    • Black Salt Racing
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:51:17 PM »
SCTA is a bit backwards from most new fire bottle certifications.  You probably bought your bottles Sept of 2015 and they were certified till Sep 2017?  Your certification probably expired Sept of 2017.  The 24 months for SCTA starts from the inspection date.   In that case you would need to get them inspected.
24 months is kind of a pain since you cannot go two Speed Weeks which was the intention of the rule change.   25 months would have been better. Having said that I have used mine 4 times over the years and you want them to work.  I second what Glen said. You should check them and service your system at the start of each season. 
Keith Copeland

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 09:55:20 PM »
Slim:

Enjoyed visiting with you and Nancy at the PRI breakfast. Did not think to ask about the fire system.

I sent Roy an email but it keeps bouncing, doubled checked the address and it seems to be right.

The rule seems to say within 24 months of certification. That to me says if it was certified until 9/2017 its good until 9/2019. It is not a big problem, FireBottle is about a 2.5 hour drive. I took my 5 bottles to get them re-certified last Sept. to save the shipping. When I read the rule it made me wonder if I need to certify every year.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jdincau

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 10:44:36 PM »
On my stuff the date on the bottle is the date it was inspected. When it has elapsed is determined by the sanctioning body. In the case of the SCTA two years from when it was inspected.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 12:13:26 AM »
If your bottles were filled or inspected in Sept of 16, then you can race them through Sept 18. 
I suspect the NHRA and some other sanctioning bodies require annual inspection, thus yours says certified until Sept 17.  Most agents don't go bad sealed in the bottle...
If the only date on the bottle is Sept 17 and you show up for SpeedWeek next year, you better be giving rides in a time machine to the inspectors  :roll: 
But if your bottle says it was filled or inspected in Sep 16 you will be fine. 
Keith, you always get 2 Speedweeks from an inspection, and occasionally we get 3 if we forget and need the bottles inspected at the last minute before going racing... Inspect August 17, race 17, 18 and 19, they will expire at the end of Aug 19.... our tags are punched Month and Year.... the day is not on it so you get more than you think.
Our lines are also cleared annually as part of prep.   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »
Stainless:

Thanks, I sent an email to Roy Creel for the office interpretation. But I appreciate your feedback.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 04:05:47 PM »
SCTA is a bit backwards from most new fire bottle certifications.  You probably bought your bottles Sept of 2015 and they were certified till Sep 2017?  Your certification probably expired Sept of 2017.  The 24 months for SCTA starts from the inspection date.   In that case you would need to get them inspected.
24 months is kind of a pain since you cannot go two Speed Weeks which was the intention of the rule change.   25 months would have been better. Having said that I have used mine 4 times over the years and you want them to work.  I second what Glen said. You should check them and service your system at the start of each season. 

I don't think we're backwards at all.  The date on the bottle cert is the date it was inspected.  I've never heard or seen a cert that expires with a cert life of 2 years before.  Maybe that's an SFI deal but when you cert or re-cert a bottle, it's always the date of inspection.  The cert is good for two years from that inspection date and yes you can do two Speed Weeks on one cert.  Example: cert on June 2016 - cert then expires on June 2018.  That let's you run at Speed Week 2016 and 2017.  Isn't that two Speed Weeks?  The rule used to be every year and I believe it was changed to be less stringent and make racer's lives easier.

Actually, just read the SFI spec for fire systems: http://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/pdfs/specs/Spec_17.1_022614.pdf  They cert every two years but only have a 6 year life.  Wouldn't that suck?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »
Nathan is correct. Every year was a pain and I believe Roy was the one to help make the 2 year happen. As for the 5 year deal; I believe the NHRA and other racing entities are in cahoots with the manufacturers to make replacing part that could never ware out would need replacing. If we had date requirements on fire suits, bell housings, crank dampeners, etc I would be gone. As long as we take care of our equipment I see no reason to follow in their foot steps. I understand belts and helmets. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline oj

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
I've got a full bottle of Halon 1211 in my drag car that is out of date but provides better protection than the newer stuff, I run in a class where it isn't required and it'll stay there as long as the needle is in the green. 

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 11:12:09 AM »
Nathan is correct. Every year was a pain and I believe Roy was the one to help make the 2 year happen. As for the 5 year deal; I believe the NHRA and other racing entities are in cahoots with the manufacturers to make replacing part that could never ware out would need replacing. If we had date requirements on fire suits, bell housings, crank dampeners, etc I would be gone. As long as we take care of our equipment I see no reason to follow in their foot steps. I understand belts and helmets. JD

Jimmy:

I agree, I hear there are some agents that can corrode but I do not think FE-36 is one of them. For a corrosive agent I can understand the need for a periodic hydo test. Two of my five bottles will be over 6 years old and after 2018 can no longer be certified. I have no complaints about SFI and think they do great work... but sometimes one size is not the best fit for all.

Until then I have a lot more to worry about like, new pistons, valve train, roller cam, a new Hans, new trailer and a SFI 20 fire suit. Once I get all that I will be in so deep that new fire bottles will be a what the heck moment!

Thanks for the input.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 09:48:50 PM »
Bill, you might want to make friends with your local fire equipment company... our Halon bottles are inspected by our local sponsor, Kansas Fire Equipment Co.  They weigh them and check the pressure indicator.  They look at the piercing seal and if the weight matches the weight on the original tag and the pressure shows good, they hang an inspected tag on it. 
I take the car down there occasionally so the guys can climb in and take pictures.  They also have a thank you picture on the wall.  I have their sticker on the car.
Good relationships make racing a lot more reasonable....  :cheers: 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 10:22:02 PM »
  Stainless 1 I couldn't agree more. The Fitzall rules take a back seat to common sense.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
A local guy just certed my bottles, they are tagged Dec 2016 so I can run them for the next 2 years of racing. He did tell me the next time my 1211 bottle with be needed additional testing prior to being OK the next time. So I will prepare for that. I've using him for years and he comes to my home. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro