Author Topic: WORLDS FASTEST PACKARD  (Read 8466 times)

Offline TURK

WORLDS FASTEST PACKARD
« on: December 12, 2016, 12:35:24 AM »
How fast is the worlds fastest Packard ?
Kansas Margareta,mix methanol & salt add one Harley

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: WORLDS FASTEST PACKARD
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
Worlds fastest Packard will be a Studebaker.
  Sid.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:15:24 PM »
Was that an old Packard that AJ Foyt came to the salt with few years ago? It had a blown flat head and had head gasket problems.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Robin UK

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »
Think that was a Pierce Arrow. Big blue thing. Got some pics somewhere.
Robin

Offline PackardV8

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
Back in the late '50s, a '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk with a stroked Packard V8 built by C&T Automotive ran 141.  The engine build was featured in a Hot Rod Magazine how-to article.

Rich Fox will be along soon, but he built a Packard V8 for his Vega which ran 150+; far below its potential.

jack vines

Offline TURK

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 10:59:02 PM »
So , Do you think if I took my 1938 Packard coupe and put a 900 hp 514 cad blown on methanol in it I would have  " THE WORLDS FASTEST PACKARD "  ?

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:10:53 PM »
I would say at the ripe ol age of 80, if it wasn't you'd at least be having a $hit-pile of fun! 8-)
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »
I think the 392 Blown Alky Hemi you have would be better.... then if it wasn't fast enough for you, just add a little nitro...

from the local paper: http://www.kansas.com/cars/article119703938.html#emlnl=Afternoon_Headlines
Go to link if you want to see the pics, here is the article.

BY MIKE BERRY
mberry@wichitaeagle.com

Even at age 80, Turk Dale still has a few items to check off his bucket list.

“I want to see if I can go 200 mph while I’m 80,” he says, launching into a description of the Cadillac-powered 1997 Pontiac Firebird he thinks will make that happen at the famed Texas Mile.

“My goal is to hit 200 in the standing mile. A lot of guys are doing it, but there ain’t nobody 80 going 200,” he says with confidence born of more than 65 years of hands-on hot rodding.

“I’ve been doing this since about 1949. I got my first Cushman in 1950.”

After seeing an article on how to regrind camshafts in one of the earliest Hot Rod magazines, he disassembled the engine in his scooter and, using a small wood lathe, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver, he tried his hand at it. The first try didn’t go so well, but after he had a welder add some material back to the cam lobes, he got it right.

“It actually helped. It was four to five miles an hour faster after that,” he said. After graduating from high school, he went to work at Boeing and bought a wrecked Triumph motorcycle, which he soon had bad in running shape.

“All the motorcycle hoodlums were hanging out downtown, across from the train station. There was Arky, and Frenchy, all the guys got nicknames,” he said.

He decided he needed one, too. So he asked his mother what nationality they were and when he learned he was 1/128th Turkish, he had the monicker that he uses to this day.

“I painted `Turk’ on the back of my motorcycle jacket and went downtown and I was `Turk.’ I was self-invented. When you’re going downtown and your name is `Larry Lee,’ that ain’t getting it,” he explained.

He has built numerous custom cycles, including one that he piloted to a top speed of 165 mph at the Texas Mile in 2011. In the last five years, he can count five cycles and four cars he has built.

“It’s all I do, 12-14 hours a day, seven days a week,” he said.

One of his signature builds is his 1927 Model T hot rod, a roadster powered by a 429 cubic inch, supercharged Cadillac V-8 engine. It sits inside the office portion of his shop, looking low and mean.

“I built the frame and everything on that car. It’s plumb dangerous. It weighs about 2,000 pounds and puts out about 600 horsepower. I have no idea how fast it’ll go,” he says.

He built the chassis to replace one under another T roadster he owned, but ended up selling that car and buying a Precision Fiberglass body manufactured in Augusta, which had previously been installed on another frame.

“All the wiring was done, the doors were hung, and the floor board and (transmission) tunnel done. It just sat right down on the frame that I had built,” he said.

Dale has a thing about Cadillac engines from the late 1960s, noting that they are about the same weight as a Chevy 350 V-8, but pack a lot more displacement and, thus, power potential. It took him three tries to come up with the correct supercharger for the T roadster, a Detroit Diesel 6:53 unit that he modified to fit the Cadillac, machining a new rear case cover and the front drive snout. It is fitted with a pair of Edelbrock carbs and runs eight pounds of boost.

Dale built the three-tube header system himself, since Cadillacs of that vintage used siamese exhaust ports for the middle cylinders, and also crafted the side pipes, which contain glass pack mufflers. He used a Turbo 400 automatic transmission shifted by a handcrafted 11-ball shifter and mated to an 8.8 inch Turbo Thunderbird differential. He built his own 4-bar triangulated rear suspension system, too.

Four wheel disc brakes were used, along with reproduction Halibrand mag wheels and 15-inch Firestone radials.

Back in the main shop sits the Pontiac Firebird he will use for his Texas Mile record attempt. He chose that body because at the time it was sold, the Firebird was reportedly the slipperiest shape being built by an American manufacturer.

It will be powered by a 514 cubic inch Cadillac V-8 that now sits on an engine stand, awaiting fabrication of mounting brackets and tubing that will add a modified turbocharger to its intake/exhaust system. He figures with 2:40 gearing, the Firebird should top out at about 216 mph.

There’s also a recently acquired 1938 Packard business coupe that he plans to rebuild as a street rod, replacing its current 350 Chevy V-8 with either a classic 392 Chrysler Hemi or, what else, a big block Cadillac V-8.

So, although he already has 80 years if life under his belt, it appears that he has plenty to keep him going for another decade or so.
 :cheers:

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/cars/article119703938.html#emlnl=Afternoon_Headlines#storylink=cpy
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline aircap

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 12:18:52 AM »
Turk is kind of a legend around these parts... Soon to be a salt hero? Hmmmm... More power to ya, Turk!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
I don't see any reason you can't do it Turk. Age doesn't add or subtract HP.

Heck fire, the Golden Greek is still making 300+ MPH runs in NHRA competition, and he was 80 five or eight years ago.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline TURK

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 11:50:34 PM »
The build is on it's way.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 10:59:59 AM »
Turk is kind of a legend around these parts... Soon to be a salt hero? Hmmmm... More power to ya, Turk!

Turk already is a Salt Hero... built and ran a bike out there when he was young.... about 5 or 6 years ago...  :roll:
Builds stuff faster than anyone I know  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
With age comes wisdom comes horsepower. 
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.