Author Topic: Newbie with 1954 Studebaker - which class is best bang for the buck?  (Read 24517 times)

Offline Flipper_1938

Title pretty much sums it up...for a first time LSR car, what is the best class to build for?  I'm not expecting a record, mostly want to compete/participate/have fun without breaking the bank.

Offline salt27

Re: Newbie with 1954 Studebaker - which class is best bang for the buck?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
The 130/150 clubs are the best bang for the buck if you are just in it for fun and not after records.

Check the U.S.F.R.A. website for more info.

Don

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
Ok.  I guess I do want to chase a record, but not in some class that has a speed high enough that I have to spend $100,000 on safety equipment.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »
If you are going to run with the SCTA at Bonneville ALL the safety equipment requirements are the same whether the record is 100 MPH or 300 MPH other than the amount of fire agent carried & the type of fire suit required.

That being said you will most likely want to run in the Classic Category in the Gas Coupe or Altered classes. Get a rule book and look at the records to see what might be something you could enjoy chasing. There are no easy records but some are easier than others.   
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 03:34:18 PM »
Ok.  I guess I do want to chase a record, but not in some class that has a speed high enough that I have to spend $100,000 on safety equipment.

$100k sounds like a good starting point for going after a door slammer record.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »
Check out the motorcycles.  Read carefully and notice how many missing records there are.  That usually means no one's ever run that class.  A lot cheaper than trying to get one with a '54 Studebaker that looks a lot more slippery than it is.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »
If you are going to run with the SCTA at Bonneville ALL the safety equipment requirements are the same whether the record is 100 MPH or 300 MPH other than the amount of fire agent carried & the type of fire suit required.

That being said you will most likely want to run in the Classic Category in the Gas Coupe or Altered classes. Get a rule book and look at the records to see what might be something you could enjoy chasing. There are no easy records but some are easier than others.   
Bummer.  I was under the impression that safety requirements were tiered like NHRA.  The faster you go, the more stringent the requirements. (A stocker isn't built to the same standards as top fuel).

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
Ya but -- our stocker sometimes go over 200 MPH -- and a long way from a safety vehicle.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »
As instructed... look at the rules and records...
The basic safety is the same for all cars... it goes up after 175 MPH, more at 200 and way up above 250 if you are smart... all based on the speed you are chasing, not the speed you go. 
But as has been mentioned, a 100MPH car has the same requirements for basic safety.  You need to get a rule book. 
The thing you have to remember is if you are chasing a record, you have to go faster than anyone else has since 1949.... A lot of folks have invested a lot of money to get records.  PM Bob Drury aka One Run Bob and ask him how easy it is with a stockish body Stude to go 230... be sitting down for the answer.
I agree with the suggestion, set it up to run it in the 130 or 150 club... great entry level salt racing with the USFRA... at a reasonable price.  Not to mention a little harder than you think it might be.  If you do that and want to advance to running for records, you will have a better idea of the task you are facing.  Speed is not cheap... Record Speed is expensive in most classes. 
You may decide you don't want to run a door car at all, you want to build a car from scratch...
Sounds like you want to have fun... start in USFRA 130 club with a street legal or 160 club with a roll bar to make sure LSR is in your blood and budget.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 01:43:04 PM »
Stainless,

Thanks for the info.  I guess I need to ask the question a little differently.  Are there any classes that a stock bodied 1954 Stude can compete in that do not have records above 175 mph (and probably won't reach 175 for a long time)?

.....and will a drag car type 12 point cage meet the basic safety requirements?  or do all cages have to meet the standard of being a hand width away from the drivers helmet?

I made the trip to Speedweek in 2010 and was bit pretty hard by the salt bug, I just haven't had the budget to build a car.  I bought the Stude to be a salt inspired hot rod....and started wondering if it could be a dual purpose car for a lower speed class/engine combination.

Pretty sure it means I can't stick a BBC  or ever a SBC in it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 03:01:51 PM by Flipper_1938 »

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »
Stude project???  Does this mean that Roofus is complete ???
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »
Stude project???  Does this mean that Roofus is complete ???

Nope, it means I looked at and talked about Studebakers too much.  After sutfing craigslist, me and dad drove to South Carolina last weekend and bought a cheap project car.  I think was probably a barn find when the previous owner bought it.  He gutted it and bought some new parts but not much else.  I consider it a solid starting point.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
You could compete in F/Classic Gas Coupe which has a record of 174.922 by Conn/Jucewic's Monza.  You could run any engine (on "event" gas) that's from 123.00" to 183.99".  Four, six, eight, twelve -- don't matter.

As for the cage -- it must meet the SCTA specs.

Again -- get a Rule Book.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
Many people think the way to set a record in a Studebaker is to keep inserting cubic inches.

If you go with a V8, you're running against everybody.

I'd be looking at the G and H class records.  It's not unreasonable to think a well sorted DOHC, 4 valve, properly geared in a slicked up Stude, couldn't be a contender in some class.  

If the record is low enough, you could skip the rear spoiler, roof rails and chute requirements in some classes.

A screamin' Ecotec engine in a Studebaker.  Readily available engines and performance pieces, and half of the number of components of a V8.  They can be bolted up to dozens of different transmissions, and you could do it with readily available gear sets - probably 4.11s, and take advantage of the engine's ability to produce horsepower in the 8-9 K range.  

I think there's your bang for the buck.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
MM said:  "... horsepower in the 8-9 K range.  "

Perhaps you mean in the 8-9k RPM range.  8-9k HP would be quite the trick - 'specially getting it to last past the two mile or so. . . :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com