Author Topic: Quickchange horse power drain  (Read 25344 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Quickchange horse power drain
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
Frank06 said "No way it is 98% efficient.... chain drive isn't even that good." Actually roller chain is really only 90 to 92% efficient the best drive "chain style" drive are the HVO belt drives which are over 98% efficient.  Sorry for the hi-jack now back to quick change question.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 09:06:15 PM »
The latest issue of Hot Rod Mag has an interesting article about the Ford 9 inch its not anything helpful for my question but still good reading.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 09:37:38 PM »
They quoted an efficiency number in that article.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »
AMC products from 1982-87 used a 2.21 gear set. Maybe somewhere out in industrial gear-land there is a bevel gear set of 1.5-1 that a clever person with a mill and lathe (No, I am not volunteering) Could machine a case that would mount change gears to get you down to the ratio you want...Double gear reduction working in your favor.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »
Maybe somewhere out in industrial gear-land there is a bevel gear set of 1.5-1 that a clever person with a mill and lathe (No, I am not volunteering) Could machine a case that would mount change gears to get you down to the ratio you want.

Has already been done by one person I know of, his name was George Parker (RIP), he made a quickchange back in the early 1990's and you could get it with a 1.5-1 or 1-1 ring and pinion.

Mel Swain (Swain Bros-Helash-Hoover) used the unit in his Blown Fuel Modified Roadster, in 1994 with a 1-1 ring and pinion. They still hold the top 3 engine class records at El Mirage in BFMR some 20 plus years later.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:05:28 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »
See...Every now and then I have a lucid thought...............
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »
IIRC John MacKichan used a 1.5-1 bevel gear in a V8 QC center section in his and Tim's liner. He machined everything but the center housing (side bells,etc.) to make it work. I think with the right spur gears they could get .63-1 final drive ratio. Huge hours involved to get it done.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 02:44:08 AM »
When Mickey Thompson first considered "challenging" (pun intended) Cobb's record in late '58, the first item he envisioned was single-spur-gear sets (1:2) at each wheel, to obviate the need for pinion shafts/bearing to spin about 13,000 RPM. These four gearsets were actually the very first pieces fabricated. Admittedly, this approach could possibly require reverse-rotation engine(s)- but it served very well in the Challenger 'liner (since 2 of the 4 engines needed reverse-rotation anyway). Just something to keep in mind...
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020