Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161137 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #285 on: July 13, 2020, 01:27:48 AM »
I think reality is finally starting to set in here in the US. I have three friends here in Idaho who have it & the least likely one I expected to take a beating is/was a healthy 26 yr old female, it's been kicking her a$$ for weeks now. I'm more interested in having a long term.
  Sid. 

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #286 on: July 13, 2020, 03:08:37 AM »
I think reality is finally starting to set in here in the US. I have three friends here in Idaho who have it & the least likely one I expected to take a beating is/was a healthy 26 yr old female, it's been kicking her a$$ for weeks now. I'm more interested in having a long term.
  Sid.

As of Mon 07/13 Orange County,  CA. Confirmed COVID19 cases: 24,430. Deceased: 421. That's more than some  states.

I went to the phone store the other day. You had to wear a mask?they also took your temperature before you stepped through the door. There was a limit of three customers. Some businesses are taking this seriously.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #287 on: July 13, 2020, 09:21:32 AM »
They are and I'm glad. The real statistics for the OC lie in the ages. The OC Register shows them daily and we just had our first death in the 1-24 age group. It's almost 80% in the over 65 which have three groupings and where all my friends are.

One statistic that is now being shown is the total death for all causes in the US and just one for the China virus (that one may be padded) and that rate is still very small but without the virus many would be alive today.

My wife and I have rally restricted our selves since March and have only gone to dinner out once 2 weeks ago. Only the basics are ventured out for.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #288 on: July 13, 2020, 01:16:17 PM »
We get our own spin here in the UK and its interesting that the most reliable data (?????) is probably the office for national statistics (independent of government I think) showing totals deaths compared to the 5 year average for the same week / month. It doesn't match the governments figures for Covid 19 but in fairness not everyone who is sick is tested.  :roll: Once they start publishing total deaths (which is a staggering number) it inures you to the covid numbers. I guess that is the plan. Go about your normal business, nothing to see here.

We also get a version of US news - I saw a few days ago that Fauci and someone from the CDC was not allowed to go on a CBS program - I guess no news is better than bad news. 

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #289 on: October 23, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »
Just a couple of pics of our new "aero" front axle. The shapes are 4130 aero tubing and the base axle is a piece of 1-3/8 inch dia 4130. Woody is telling us we need more front weight so this should add 10-15 lbs. Duke finished this while I was elk hunting. His usual impeccable workmanship.

Rex 
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2020, 12:10:02 AM »
Looks nice... so... should we be planning an elk steak feed?  I'll bring the wine...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2020, 08:48:50 AM »
Very nice work.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2020, 11:40:31 AM »
Rex:
In reviewing the front end suspension photos in reply #289 it is apparent that you have utilized 5 rod end bearings to both suspend and locate the front axle.  ALL of them make the threaded shank of the bearings subject to bending loads--something they are not intended to carry.  Have you really evaluated the wisdom of this application or the consequences if one of those shanks should fail? 
Manufacturers do not give a rated bending load on rod end shanks because they recognize the difficulty of accounting for all the possible loading situations that may arise as well as the problem of stress concentrations due to thread roots and dynamic loading.  In addition, you don?t know the material type or condition or its susceptibility to stress corrosion cracking (salt environment). 
This is not to say it won?t work, but that it puts it in a ?we might get away with it? category as compared to a competently engineered solution.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »
The only one I'd really worry about is the one at the top of the "V".
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline floydjer

« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2020, 03:54:42 PM »
Hmm...With limited travel that top link/track locator is just along for the ride.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2020, 07:14:51 PM »
...With limited travel that top link/track locator is just along for the ride.

...until one wheel or the other encounters a bump or depression, which at speed amounts to shock loading wanting to jerk the nose of the car sideways and possibly induce some strange steering effects.

Same bump type of loading applies to the suspension links which, due to the various bearings and damper may well approximate a rigid connection and consequently large loading.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2020, 07:44:56 PM »
IO,
Your comments are always appreciated as they usually cause me to check my initial calculations to insure that we have not gone down a potentially dangerous path.
First, our car has a front end weight of slightly less than 400 lbs static, which would make each the load on the two rod ends that support the front of the car 200 lbs. The rod ends are 7/16 inch diameter with 7/16 shanks. This makes the thread root diameter of .390 inches. Using these loads and dimensions and the dimension from the C/L of the ball to the back of the lock nut is 1 inch, the maximum bending stress is 33,460 psi and using a material yield strength of 67,000 psi and tensile strength of 100,000 psi gives a safety factor to yield of 2:1 and to the material tensile strength of 3:1. This is based upon the normalized properties of 4130 at yield of 67,000 psi and tensile strength of 100,000 psi. Pretty standard material properties. Rough salt, pot holes etc could certainly provide the potential for these components to see loads possibly in excess of our estimated loads and possibly cause bending or in the worst case complete failure but these are not the typical conditions that we see at Bonneville.
We also keep a close eye on the rod ends for any corrosion, and keep them coated with Gibbs oil for protection. We also keep the extended length of the rod end to the back of the lock nut as short as possible to minimize the bending moment and we periodically change the rod ends to keep them fresh. We also only use rod ends that are of the highest quality and constructed from 4130 and have rolled threads. I do agree that using a rod end in the load configuration we are is not optimal but by using quality parts and sizing them to provide sufficient safety along with the proper cleaning and protection from corrosion and periodical replacement the application will work.

IO,
In response to your last post, the  function of the upper triangular link is to proved lateral location of the axle and provide the upper link of a parallelogram (in side view) to located the axle and set caster. This link also sets the roll center height for the axle which is pretty meaningless, in my opinion, for a car designed to run in a straight line on a smooth surface. Maximum suspension travel is approx 3 inches which also limits any possible side motion of the axle on one wheel deflections.

Rex
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 07:58:20 PM by Rex Schimmer »
Rex

Offline floydjer

« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2020, 08:20:10 PM »
So then......Other than being a pivot point...With the travel being limited...The link is basically just along for the ride.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:25:09 PM by floydjer »

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2021, 12:57:32 AM »
Speed Week is two weeks away and Duke and I have been thrashing in the shop but should make it. I have attached a pic of the car less most of the body work as it is out being PAINTED!! She will be all one color this year, semi gloss black, should look good from a distance but better than the black and raw aluminum we have been running. Excuse the clutter in the shop as getting the car ready to go to the dyno has taken precedence over cleaning up the clutter. Still have a pretty good list and a big family party before Speed Week plus the day at the dyno but we will be there. Some good changes plus (we hope) some more horsepower should get us well over 200 and closer to the Bockscars IF/L record. Hope to see lots of our Landracing friends there, stop by our pits for a little BS racing.

Rex and Duke
Rex

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2021, 09:37:31 AM »
Rex, looking forward to seeing you, Duke and our mutual friend Jameson on the salt.  Good luck with the dyno, we just finished the dyno on the Bockscar and now in assembly mode.  Hope we both get to do some celebrating  :clap
See ya on the salt  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O