Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161108 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2018, 10:27:21 AM »
Fuchsia?  :? :-o :-D
Or first one there gets to choose?  :?

If fuchsia, then the hat must be a wide brim fedora. Gold front teeth are optional.

John

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »
We had that problem of short ramps with some construction equipment many years ago.  Some 2 x 12 boards were nailed together to make pyramids.  They were It about 8 feet long at the base and three or four boards high.  These were put behind the front wheels to elevate them when grader was rolled off of the trailer.  We took the cut ends left over from making the pyramids and made elevated extensions at the end of the ramps to keep the back wheels elevated.  It took six or eight 2 x 12 x 8-foot planks to do all of this.  A cheap solution.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2018, 12:03:52 AM »
Not our best day! Chased an ignition gremlin all day and didn't get to make a single pass!!! Not really sure we have it fixed but changing a little wiring in the AM and we had to change the oil as all of this attempted starting really washed some methanol into the crank case.

Big thing for the day was the Turbinator knocking off a 482!! They ran 388 in the 2-1/4!!! The timing slip I saw gave them a 460 something out the back but their data showed them at 489!! What ever! it was really fast.

More tomorrow.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2018, 01:24:02 AM »
Good luck chasing the gremlins!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »
We fought with the ignition gremlins until about 1:00 PM then for what ever we had done they decided to leave. Engine starts perfect, sounds great OK get in line. Wind comes up and the meet is over for the day!!! So out early tomorrow and make sure it starts then into line and get some miles on the new engine, then pull the pin and see what happens.

The Vesco Turbinater backed up its' 482 run with a 483 which gave them an over 483 average so that was pretty special. Great going!!

More tomorrow,

Rex and Duke
Rex

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »
Fingers crossed Rex and Duke. :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2018, 08:18:33 PM »
Good luck Sunday - Really like to see you two in impound!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2018, 09:45:33 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline racergeo

« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
  Rex, can't wait for a report of what happened. Hope it was good.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »
Rex it was good to see and talk after all these years good to see the car and Duke out on the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »
Glen, It was great seeing you and especially great to hear you announcing from the timing stand. Sounds like the meets for old.

OK now for the "real" story
We finally got the ignition to work, maybe, but the car would fire up and sounded pretty good. We made 6 runs (I think) each one just a little bit faster but none of them close enough to get John and Stainless,the Bockcar boys , to concerned about their I fuel lakester record. Our best speed was in the low 160 range, it would pull to 8000 and then just lay down and we needed to be seeing 11,000. It did seem to respond some what to main return jet changes which has started me to thinking that we may have a fuel pump problem. Which goes along with our plan for next year which is to send all of the Kinsler injection stuff back for an over haul. I am thinking that maybe the pump is laying down on us. Our other thinking is to up date the ignition, probably with new, and different coils and moving it from its present position, mounted in the "dark hole" on top the the transmission case, and move it to some place back on the chassis. It cannot be good for the ignition box to be bolted directly to the vibrating and hot engine. Also with the ignition mounted on Lord mounts and out in the open we might actually be able to work on it! We are also going to a new coil set up probably the Ford coils that are popular and mostly more rugged. We are also going to pull the motor and send it back to Engine Dynamics to have them just do a good look through as we did run a little lean one time. Then we are going to run it on some sort of dyno, don't know exactly were or what kind of dyno, I would prefer a real engine dyno Duke really doesn't care, but we want to be close on both the barrel valve and the main jet and ignition timing before we run again next year.  Duke and I are both making lists of "things to do for 2019" and we will discuss and combine the lists over the next few weeks.

Some things we learned at the WOS:
1. Many people have said this and it is SOOO TRUE: It ain't as easy as it looks!! and that is a real "No $hit" saying. We thought we were ready and we weren't even close.
2. Be ready when you get there. Spending 2 days of only 4 race days chasing an electric gremlin is not the plan.
3. We thought we brought every thing and if it wasn't for our good friend, Steve Nelson, we would literally not have been able to run. More pre meet planning is needed especially for pit operation.
4. Having Duke for my partner is so special as he is smart, detail oriented, and works like a dog!! Even after what we both would have called a not very successful meet we still can still say we had a great time!

Duke and I talked this morning before he left for work and he thinks that we should do both the SCTA and the WOS meets so we will get a chance to redeem ourselves

It was a great time, meet Tom Borcher, AKA the Koncretekid, what a great guy but I think that he needs to change is name to Mr. 149.99. His class record is 150.17 and he ran 149.991! So close.
I saw Neil's (manta22) black beast there and think he got a run but I never got time to go over and talk him. Next time I saw it was on the trailer in the hotel parking lot. Sorry I missed you Neil!

Time to get things cleaned up and the car unloaded. The salt was so hard that my truck hardly has anything on it!!

Rex 
Rex

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
Rex, one thing I have learned about LSR; you ALWAYS have a list of things to do or change no matter how well prepared you think you are and that list continues until you hang up,your driving shoes.

One question; how did the car handle compare to the year before?

John

Offline Duke

• New folks
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2018, 04:52:53 PM »

One question; how did the car handle compare to the year before?

John

This was one of the positive things from the meet.  As we were running on the long course, I had a chance to get quite a bit more seat time in the car as compared to Speed Week last year.  The handling was VERY stable.  So much so that when we blew a front tire on our last run, I wouldn't have known if I hadn't looked at the wheel and seen that the tire was off the bead!  I'm bet that some of this can be attributed to the better salt as compared to last year,  but I am sure that most of the improvement has to do with the work that my dad did on the rear axle over the winter.

Another thing that worked well was the new shift linkage.  Last year the shifter used a morse cable, and pretty much felt like you were shifting through mud.  I was surprised every time I caught a gear on the first try.  I also had to use the clutch to shift, which made them pretty slow.  With the new linkage that I made over the winter I was able to bang gears with a little lift off the throttle and no clutch...such a nice feeling compared to how it was before.

As my dad said, we have a solid list of "to do's" before next year.  I hope that we can get done what needs to get done and actually be able to get somewhere near the record.
Duke Schimmer

"Simplify and add lightness."

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #223 on: September 19, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
Duke you and your dad can do it, Happy to see and announce your runs. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »
Great report guys--  this is so typical of the salt experience much like we had with new drive train   issues we could run 260-265 we "think" we had trans issues