Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161106 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2017, 01:14:44 AM »
  Rex, Both my Honda Cx ComStar wheels and my Center Line dragster wheels measure EXACTLY the same. Noticeable Diff. in bead shape. Mc wheel has a bit of a radius that is less vertical. I used about a 1/4 in. bead of Right Stuff when I put Mc tires on my dragster wheels and put 80lbs of nitrogen in them. They were good to 275.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »
   Oh, by the way, I hope this creates a great deal of confusion. I thrive on confusion.  George

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
Just got the head, valves, cams and assorted parts of to our motor builder, John Spease. Intakes and exhaust valves are both about 1.5 mm larger, the cam is a Webb with more lift and duration, pistons are 13.5 C.R., a set of beautiful Carillo rods, plus a new set of barrels that will make us a full 1000 ccs this year. All of this along with one of John's great port massages will give us a step up in HP and I am getting the suggested tune up and parts from Kinsler for a 25% shot of "soda pop" if we need it.

Re-doing the rear axle bearing set up along with a completely different panard rod set up. Fabing a new fuel tank from stainless, completely re-design on the shifting linkage, new rear wheels and tires to raise the back of the car about 1 inch and give us a bit more gear plus some aero work on both axles plus a list of "minor" things that need to be done. Sounds like we had better get going! which we are. Should keep me out of the bars for a while.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
Rex  I have read that you need to go up to around 35% to off set the volume differences ---coming from some one who has never run alky or pop----but pondering HARD about it==--lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
Sparky,
I am really in the dark regarding running nitro but I am a great believer that methanol is probably one of the very best fuels for a race engine. It has a very wide tuning range, i.e. it is still pretty good if you are to rich in your tune up and also you can control engine temp with the amount of methanol you feed the engine. We would set for 10 min+ with our engine running at the starting line and it never went above 150 deg F even after a run it would still be at the 150 area. Actually going to increase the thermostat setting next year to 180 just to have a little more heat in the engine. The data and injector parts that we received with car included Kinsler's recommendations for running both 50 and 75% nitro which required different injectors and also a high speed lean out circuit. Both of these percentages are above what we would like to run. As I said before we hope that the new engine and the aero tweaks will be enough to get us the record with out relying on nitro.
Rex
Rex

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2017, 11:10:03 PM »
Just a quick note here, I live very close to Santa Rosa, CA and we are having some pretty horrendous fires here. I have been very lucky and have not had to evacuate my home, but many people have completely lost everything that they have every had. A very sorry thing to think about. Fires still burning and people still being evacuated and no real guess as to when all of the fires will be under control.

Rex
Rex

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2017, 12:36:06 AM »
Clear a perimeter around your house with nothing flammable.  Put a own sprinkler or two on your roof and turn them on when things start to get warm.

There wuz some guys at the speed trials with a Ducati twin.  I asked "What is this, there is no radiator and this is a water cooled engine."  They sez "The cooling passages are filled with concrete.  We are running nitro methane with a high nitro percentage.  We do not need any water."

They went on to explain the finer points of the cement or concrete mixture and how it had to be just right. What they said went in one of my ears and out the other.  It is something worth looking into.   

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2017, 12:41:51 AM »
Thanks for posting up, Rex. 

The video news feeds we're seeing are frightening - I can't imagine what it would be like being close enough to smell it.

Thoughts and prayers are with you from Beerhaven.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2017, 06:39:12 AM »
Rex---get those sprinklers set up before hand  thinking about---- your situation
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »
Rex,

If you have a wooden shake roof, as a lot of Californians do, get it soaked NOW, and keep it wet.    Same for wooden siding.    After event Fire reports list the main difference for "flying ember" started home fires was the difference between wooden roofs Vs "fire retardant" composite roofs.    There was a small percentage of homes spared from flying embers by smart home owners "soaking" their shake roofs and siding.   If you have ever tried to start a "wet wood" campfire, you know what I mean.

One of my high school chum's wife and daughter were rescued from their fire surrounded home by helicopter.    Their home perished, but they are only singed.    My understanding is that they resided in Sonoma county.

Hoping for the best for you.    As Chris stated, the news videos are frightening.

Mark
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2017, 07:33:21 AM »
Rex,

Everyone is wondering how you are doing, while keeping our fingers crossed.

Please update us if you are able.

M
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline tauruck

« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2017, 01:21:27 PM »
Thoughts and prayers for Rex and family. Be safe and God Bless.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »
My family and I are doing well, the fires decided to go to the east and south of us. Regretfully I have many Bonneville friends that are in the present areas of the fires and am hoping that they are OK. I am in my shop doing some updates on the suspension of our lakester.

Thank you for your concern.

Rex
Rex

Offline Duke

• New folks
« Reply #178 on: November 14, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »
My Dad has been out of town but I have been making some progress in his absence.

One of the things on the "must fix before next year" list was the shift mechanism.  When we bought the car the shifter was a piece of bar stock that operated a push/pull cable.  The throw was LONG, imprecise, and sloppy.  Also, the shift action was reversed from a typical sequential shifter, which took some getting used to.   It lead to multiple missed shifts during the event.

To remedy this I am in the process of making a new mechanism which uses a solid linkage as well as incorporating a rocker to provide the proper "pull back to up shift" motion.  It should offer much more precise and shorter shifts, hopefully allowing us to get through the gears in a more timely fashion.  Pictures to follow...     
Duke Schimmer

"Simplify and add lightness."

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2017, 12:41:02 AM »
Duke and Rex, have you considered air shift... it is an easy solution for shifting.  We started with cable shift, tried rod shifting, all the mechanical had to pass through the firewall and was a PITA... Switched to air shifting, up and down, it works very well.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O