Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161130 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2017, 11:29:07 PM »
Wow - those site lines make the Midget feel like I'm driving the Popemobile!

Good job of keeping your wits about you, Duke. 

I recall Rex saying you were chasing tune.  I don't know if you were reading plugs or not, and this was clearly not the run to do this on, but you'll get the most accurate read by clutching it and shutting it down the second you hit the marker. 

But you can worry about that next year.

Well played!   :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
Well we are back home and unloaded and pretty much cleaned up but still trying to get enough drive to start on our "to do" list which gets longer every day. I just did some pretty simple calculations on CG and CP and really feel even better about our little car. The CG is about 66 inches in front of the rear wheels and the CP is approx. 25 inches behind that, so our little car is pretty much a lawn dart! I really feel that stretching the wheel base 24 inches and widening the track by about the same was really worth all of the work and made the car faster and much more stable than the old narrow track concept that it was originally built with. Next I am going to do some numbers to get a good estimate of what the CdA (coefficient of drag x frontal area) based upon the know frontal area, known top speed and a good estimation of available horse power. Many of our plans for next year involve aero mods that could have the potential to reduce the Cd of the car by as much as 15-20% which is like free horse power. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me in the shop!

I have attached a couple of interesting pics.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2017, 12:41:46 AM »
I don't know who "them" are? :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
The "Them" car doesn't look quite like that today.  Ask Johnboy for the story of the Bockscar. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »
The "Them" car doesn't look quite like that today.  Ask Johnboy for the story of the Bockscar. :roll:

Slim, It just needs a little bondo :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »
Rex.

Thanks for sharing the comparison and to Duke for post - morteming(?)  his runs.

"THEM" has 8 or 9 records on the salt IIRC. (Hope that Mr Gifford was being sarcastic) .

Thanks for acknowledging my pal Stan too - he's pretty sensitive! 
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2017, 12:07:21 AM »
These lakester guys - true masters of understatement -

It just needs a little bondo :roll:

Stopped going straight  :roll:  :-o
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2017, 01:47:28 AM »
... Hope that Mr Gifford was being sarcastic.
I wasn't. :? What engine class is the "them" car?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:51:27 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2017, 10:32:38 AM »
Jack, I have intimate knowledge of the THEM.... IIRC, the car holds 9 records over 200 with motor sizes 45ci to 99.5ci, 3 records are blown, the other 6 NA.  The car was destroyed in an accident at SpeedWeek.  There has been a plan to rebuild it new since 2011 when it went 246 with an 84ci blown motor.  The frame was first at the salt in 1976 as a Streamliner, crashed in 78 and 79, then resurrected as a Lakester in 1984.  Many old Bonneville cars rust from the inside out... that was our concern... running a 30 year old salt car 250 MPH... there have been older car crashes that did not turn out well.  So we began the planning stage to build the car again.  Those plans will be coming together now and the rebuild is beginning.  The frame held up well, although it is tweaked, lakesters do not roll well.  The 1.5 x .250 chromoly axle is bent in a U on the right side and the spindle was ripped off.  Shocks/suspension broken, bent, and cracked on all 4 corners.  The battery came out... and 2 cells came out of the battery.... the hold down J-hooks ripped out of  a 1/4 inch of .125 steel... I guess the next one will require .187 to .250 steel.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2017, 04:43:44 PM »
Stainless,
The Bockscar is a real tribute to good engineering and fabrication. Your short history of the car is very interesting, it has been a lakester longer than Duke has been alive!!! Your list of records is also impressive and certainly represent a real challenge for Duke and me. If we are able to "steal" even one of your many records we will fill great. Obviously now is the time for us to get with it, since you guys are in the rebuilding mode. Really looking forward to seeing the Bockscar on the salt again and soon! Keep us informed.

Rex
Rex

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »
Rex, was going to suggest ditching that MFI and going back to modern EFI but if your plans are to run nitro then perhaps MFI is the right choice.  Do you at least have a good data logger on the car? 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2017, 09:18:12 PM »
Nathan,
At the present we do not have a data logger in the car but it is one of our "to do's" for next year! If we were running gas I would definitely have electronic injection but with methanol and maybe nitro constant flow injection is my preferred injection. Getting good engine data is really a big requirement if we want to start "tipping the can". My thinking is that exhaust temp, and especially fuel pressure, as that is the function that is controlled by the return jet system and controls the amount of fuel delivered to the engine, and some sort of O2 sensor would be the minimum things that we should monitor. I will need to do some research on the significance  of the O2 reading when running fuel especially nitro. Our little mule motor that we ran at Speed Week was set up with a special Kinsler constant flow injection system that was originally set up by Kinsler and the original builder, Ralph Lynde. To my knowledge that setup was never changed since Ralph attempted to run the car in 2003. We did go one jet size leaner but the engine ran like a stripped a$$ mule! I can tell you I was really impressed with both the engine and the injection. I have several complete sets of injectors recommended by Kinsler, that are specifically sized for various percentages of nitro, with the great success that we have had with the original tune up I certainly plan to follow Kinsler's recommendations for running nitro.

Got any good suggestions for a small and not to expensive data logger?

Rex
Rex

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2017, 11:00:01 PM »
Rex, try AEM, they have some really good stuff.... I put one of their loggers on Max's liner... it kept telling us it was too lean for blown alcohol... all the way to the point where it was leaned enough to burn some aluminum....  :-o

Rex, if you earn (can't steal) one of our records I will be in the group congratulating you... and maybe Dan will let me present you or Duke with your Red Hat.  Our goal has always been to help make new 200 MPH Club members....
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2017, 12:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the info on "them".
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »
Got any good suggestions for a small and not to expensive data logger?

Well not to turn this into an advertisement, but like Stainless says, I'd suggest the AEM AQ-1: http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=products/data-loggers/aq-1-data-logger

Very affordable and very expandable as well.  The CAN receive functionality allows it to grow way beyond it's native 8 analog inputs.  AEM also has a 4 channel wideband O2 controller that's CAN and we will soon have a multichannel EGT module that's CAN as well.  We have GPS and "vehicle dynamics" modules which are handy for speed and accelerometer/gyroscope data that again are CAN based.  All these CAN devices get daisy chained together in a 2 wire communications network so you can just keep adding in more CAN data devices as you need them.  Basic stuff like temps and pressure would come in on an analog.  The AQ-1 gives you a lot of bang for the buck.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member