Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161685 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2017, 12:36:14 AM »
You certainly can't be accused of going for a "soft" record. SCTA record is, what, 220-something? Omigosh... :-o It makes the record in my F/BFL class sound relatively soft at only 263- with three times the displacement and a huge blower! :-)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:51:05 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »
WOW---that is just amazing to see---in metal no less!!!!!!!!!  here is to you two!!  :cheers:

Francis and I have a lot to do but we hope to have a back end that will look similar the main body shape does look very similar we went with a round opening
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:47:09 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »
Caught up with Rex yesterday - they'd made a few passes and were chasing tune - but OH, MY GOD . . .

This is what a 21st century Lakester is supposed to look like.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »
Chris, thank you for your kind words but I do need to give credit where it is due. Our car was originally built by Ralph Lynde, so the chassis and body selection was made by Ralph. As you may know the original car had the tires mounted very close to the body, this goes completely against my thinking for a lakester as the turbulence of the rotating tire completely destroys the air flow of the hopefully aerodynamic body. This is why Duke and I made new axles both front and rear to get the tires away from the body. A secondary affect of doing this is that the car, having a wider track, becomes much more stable in lateral movement, such as a spin. Duke tested this theory on Wednesday on the short course at about 125 when because of the track conditions and Duke having difficulty with the shifter he did a 180 degree spin. Had the car been in the original narrow configuration it most certainly would have been on its top, we believe the wider track prevented this.

One of the real advantages that I think we had was that Ralph designed the car with suspension, although we did change the front configuration we did nothing to the rear which provides a very supple suspension movement which worked great on the rough salt. Luckily for us Duke talked me out of my original design for the front suspension, which was a "sliding pillar" configuration using Strange Engineering funny car spindles. I had done a layout of the configuration that we have in the car and Duke was of the opinion that this was a much superior design so luckily  we went with it. Our car is very light, 1000 lbs without fluids and driver which a rough course would knock around pretty badly if it was not suspended. Our car proved to be very stable on the rough track and the supple rear suspension provide great traction.     

Our motor is an absolutely stock (internally) 1998 Kawasaki KZ9R, which is 900 cc, it does have Kinsler constant flow fuel injection, 2 inch throttle bodies, and set up for methanol. To say that we "beat it like a rented mule" would be an understatement. After Duke got some runs in and became more comfortable with the car he became much more aggressive with the throttle and was not concerned about taking it to 11,000 rpm+. On our 171 mph at the 2 1/4 mile mark Duke's in-car camera showed over 11,000 in fourth gear before he had to back off and pull the chute before the 3. That works out to be over 180 mph! which absolutely surprised us and if we had not developed a rear axle bearing problem (which was probably a result of the rough course and possibly a cause of the spin) I believe that there could have been a potential for 190 if we  had gotten to the long course! This if from an engine that is factory rated at 143 hp and maybe with the injection and methanol was good for 150 hp. I think that it shows the potential of our combination of chassis, suspension and aero package. We are planning a pretty major engine program for next year that will include an up sizing to a full 1000 cc's  higher compression, better breathing and the potential for a possible diet of 25 to 50% nitro. This along with several aero improvements (maybe, we hope, if our stars are right, if we are damn lucky, etc) get us close to Stainless's record.

A couple of things about the meet in general: I had the real pleasure to put faces on people to some of the guys here on the forum, I meet Neil (Manta 22) and found out that he is much taller than I thought but his car is one of the most menacing cars I have ever seen! Regretfully Neil had some inspections challenges and was not able to run but I am sure he will next year and it will be fun to watch. Also meet Jack Illif and checked out his 2 liter Pontiac four banger with a Nissan IRL four valve head that he adapted to it. Talk about some engineering. Chris, aka Milwaukee Midget, stopped buy and I have not seen him since he set his record in 2014. Kiwi Sid from Idaho stopped by as we were loading to go home and we talked for quite a while about the streamliner he is building and I can tell you it will be a very innovative and interesting car when he turns it loose. I don't think I am giving anything away when he told me he expects to be at the salt next year with his new piece. Keep an eye out for it as it will be a great build.

On a very sad note I am (was) a personal friend of 3 of the 4 guys that were involved in the big accident on the salt. Rick McCambridge, Eric Burns and Chris Clay are all members of a loose group of salt racers from Napa-Sonoma county area. We meet every Wednesday night at a local Mexican eatery to talk cars, racing and solve the worlds problems.  Rick and Eric are both car owners and racers and former record holders, regretfully Chris was killed in the accident but was a great friend and shooting buddy to me and he will be missed by all. Both Rick and Eric are at the U of Utah hospital in SLC and although in pretty rough shape will pull through. 

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »
Great write-up and I'd say your first run with the car has to be considered a total success, especially considering how fast you guys put the effort together regardless of if you had a car that had run before or not.  You made major changes. 

Sounds like you have a good plan for the future and remember that Stainless and crew have been running and refining their car for years so their records are very substantial and beating one will take some doing.  It will be interesting to see this unfold.  Knowing him I'm sure he would like to see you take one of their records so they have something to go back after  :wink:,

Sumner

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
Rex --

I guess I'm not that memorable.  Sorry.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2017, 04:44:54 PM »
Jim, aka Stan Back,
I knew that I would miss some one and you were the guy!! It was great talking to you especially about your roadster and your many records. And as before thanks for all of the help with getting a number and getting a pic in the program.

As long as we are talking about people I meet and have forgotten to mentions I really need to mention Ed Fenn, race car fabricator, SCTA official and most important "the" Fire Safe guy. We had a disaster happen with our new Fire Safe bottle that almost kept us from racing. I seems that the guy we bought it from, regardless of how great he is (self proclaimed) forgot to figure out that the .055 diameter wire that is used to lock the firing device, will not go through a .05 hole! We thought we had the wire through but when we pulled the safety pin on the bottle it went off!!! $HIT!!! Luckily I had meet Ed the day before in tech, we have a mutual friend, Alan Bricke, and Ed said that he was selling Fire Safe equipment for race cars and could refill them at the track and he gave me his card. So it was on the phone with Ed and he stopped buy picked up our bottle and returned with it full and charged! Duke fixed the firing mechanism so that the .055 wire now could go through and actually function. So Ed really saved us  what could have been a long and sad drive home. So to "Stan Back" and Ed Fenn really great to meet you both!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2017, 11:49:17 PM »
to a great first outing :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »
Putting a face to a very savvy person from the forum was a pleasure Rex! Too bad you were all covered up & ready to hit the road so I didn't get to eyeball your stuff but at least we got to talk. That's how it goes when you have your face buried in a race car on the salt, when you finally take a breath & look around, everybody's gone home.
I thrashed with Burton Brown on his F/DS (3 Liter Mercedes junkyard engine) that arrived unfinished at the salt & he eventually clicked off the record getting into the two club. It ran 220 in the quarter but the worst conditions in the history of Bonneville kept it far from it's 300+ capability.
I'm guessing every bolt in my trusty-rusty van that's not rusted in place is ready to fall out & all the shocks ended up sounding like machine guns but HEY..... there's no change in the SALT!!!! :roll:
  Sid.   

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2017, 11:30:30 AM »
It was a pleasure to meet you too, Rex.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Tman

« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »
Nice write-up Rex. Sorry about your friend :cry:

Offline Duke

• New folks
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »
A few notes from the driver:

The car handled very well (until the rear axle bearing problem).  People kept talking about how rough the courses were.  With nothing to compare it to I never really had a problem with this.  On our third run (161 mph) I remember thinking "Man, this thing is so easy to drive!"  It tracked very true and straight.

Every run got easier.  As a new driver and crew, we improved every run.  From belting me in to shutting down after a run we learned something each pass and were able to improve on it.  I also got much more comfortable and confident driving the car. We still have A LOT to learn, but this give me high hopes for next year.

The people are awesome.  I met so many friendly people out on the salt, always willing to lend a hand or give a word of advice, it made for an awesome experience.

Here is the video from our 4th and fastest run.  We did 171 through the 2 1/4 and 165 out the 3 dragging the laundry.  Before I pulled the chute due to insatiability (likely caused by the rear axle bearing starting to fail)  the tach indicates approx. 11,000 RPM, equating to a top speed of around 180 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS1OmxZlDvA 
Duke Schimmer

"Simplify and add lightness."

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
I stated back in early July after inspecting the salt that the short course is always going to have better salt now due to it's closer proximity to the drain going to the plant. That's the first video I've seen from over there & it's a $hit-pile better than the long course.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2017, 08:17:45 PM »
A few notes from the driver:

The car handled very well (until the rear axle bearing problem).  People kept talking about how rough the courses were.  With nothing to compare it to I never really had a problem with this.  On our third run (161 mph) I remember thinking "Man, this thing is so easy to drive!"  It tracked very true and straight.

Every run got easier.  As a new driver and crew, we improved every run.  From belting me in to shutting down after a run we learned something each pass and were able to improve on it.  I also got much more comfortable and confident driving the car. We still have A LOT to learn, but this give me high hopes for next year.

The people are awesome.  I met so many friendly people out on the salt, always willing to lend a hand or give a word of advice, it made for an awesome experience.

Here is the video from our 4th and fastest run.  We did 171 through the 2 1/4 and 165 out the 3 dragging the laundry.  Before I pulled the chute due to insatiability (likely caused by the rear axle bearing starting to fail)  the tach indicates approx. 11,000 RPM, equating to a top speed of around 180 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS1OmxZlDvA 

I'll never whine about visibilty after watching your video. Awesome job guys. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:21 PM »
Rex- Great to meet you and Duke. Thanks for your advice. So sorry about your friends.  :cry:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019