Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161123 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
Thanks for the concern, our winter creek was running pretty full yesterday but it is about 150 feet from the shop and probably 10 feet lower so we are saved any flooding. I even worked on the car yesterday! and got a heater set up in the shop!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »
Car looks great Rex. I suppose the water is welcome in your part of the world as long as it doesn't do damage to your property. :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 04:59:20 PM »
I made a big FU but by having a smart son and partner I was saved! I like to use spools to make removable structural parts for our car. We are completely redoing the rear of the car and I need a number of spools to build some braces that are strong and removable. Spools are, in my case, 1 inch dia steel rod about 3 inches long that I drill a 1/2 inch hole through and then counter bore one end to 3/4 in. dia so that I can bolt the spool to the chassis with 1/2 inch SHCS (socket head cap screws). Well I just pulled out a length of 1 dia steel that I had and made some spools. Fortunately my son checked the alloy of the metal and it was "stress proof" alloy 1144, which is really great to machine but my son said not good to weld! and proceeded to weld some to a piece of 1/8 x 1 strip and almost literally broke it by hand!! I should have known this but better! but convenience some times wins out. Duke , my son, says that the extra sulfur that is alloyed in the steel, and which makes it great to machine, also makes it a non weldable alloy. So saved by my partner which is good as he is going to be the driver and we want it as safe as possible.

Learn something new every day!!

Rex
Rex

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »
Rex, sounds like the kid has it all together. Good for him and you. Keep us all posted. The Vesco Turbinator II is still in the rebuild and repair area, We were working o
the body fits doing a lot of little but time consuming stuff. Still waiting on the drive line parts etc. Have a great day and tell your son he is going in the right direction in his life.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »
Rex,
Did you guys make any progress lately?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »
Rob,
We are making progress daily! I try to do something on our list every day but most of the things are not something that I can photograph and put on the web site. I spent (wasted is a better word) about a month trying to work with Winters to get a new and wider rear axle made for the car, it had a Winters springcar/midget rear axle in it but I wanted the same thing just wider, well after several drawings and phone conversations and a month of time they came back with a price that our budget would not accept! So I redesigned the axle, bought a piece of 2-1/2 inch x 3/8 wall 4130 tubing and am having a friend of mine that has a large machine shop make it. Should be done in a couple of weeks, it does require new hubs and mounts for the sprocket and brake disc but I have the material on order and will machine myself. We have gotten the front axle widened and the basic axle is fabricated, had to wait a while for the spindle bosses and then they needed some machining but got that done and my son, and partner and driver, Duke has it all welded together and I will post pics as soon as we get the steering rack mounted and the locating brackest done.  Duke's welds are like art work! I have some aluminum over at New Metal Customs to be rolled which will make new panels to go under and over the engine area. Next is to make a form buck for the new tail section, which I am planning to also have New Metal Customs make as they are exceptionally good and the price is right. Today I am making drawings of a new type of front axle locater/suspension rocker that Duke and I discussed yesterday and decided it would be a better design than our original. So we are plugging away at it and are still planning to make the August meet.

Progress pics are coming.

Rex
Rex

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 02:12:43 PM »
I did check through a few of the pics I have taken and am attaching a couple of the new axle and also a new rear bulk head that will mount the new engine covers and also the new rear body section. It is made from 1/8 alum plate with flanges on both sides that will have the Dzus fastener springs mounted on them.

Rex
Rex

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 05:14:42 PM »
You guys are making great progress  :cheers: :cheers:

Sumner

Offline krusty

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
Go Rex (and Duke) Go! Looking forward to seeing this on the Salt.

vic

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
More progress! I have a couple of hours of screwing and gluing to do and the buck for the new rear body work will be off to New Metal Kustoms for some of the great tin work they do. Basic shape in plan view is a NACA 66021 wing section but the side view is a rectangle so it gives us some "tali fin" effect although we do plan to run a tail fin but it will probably consist of a piece of 3/16 th aluminum plate cut to the shape of a vortex wing with a fairly sharp leading edge. Also picked up the new rear axle from my machinist friends at Dynamic Machine in So. Cal. I did the hubs and will start assembly after the buck sent out. Doing something every day gets the goal closer.

Rex
Rex

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »
Beautiful work, Rex. Your car was already a stunner but these additions and changes will make it even better. Looking forward to seeing you and the car this year.

John

Offline tauruck

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »
Looks great Rex. Awesome progress. I love it. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 02:22:22 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Still making progress! Just did final assembly of the rear axle, all of the bearings, hubs, brake caliper, etc completely assembled for good. I did a trial fit in the car and had to make some adjustments to the location of the sprocket and brake disc not a big deal just some additional machined spacers. Next assemble into car and then get on the front axle and steering.

Rex

Rex

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2017, 02:20:42 PM »
Looks great.... :cheers:,

Sumner