Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161148 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 10:01:12 PM »
      Rexy, Good on ya mate. Do just as you plan, and get the kid involved and it will go fast. (the construction) No need for an I class car to be that long. Saltosaurus Goes in a 20 ft. trailer with the nose off. So happy for you.  George

Offline Tman

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »
Looks great rex!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
Picked up the lakerster yesterday and got it in the shop. Next some disassembly, make some stands to get it off the ground and then start some serious work.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »
Very nice looking shop.

Great looking ride, also .
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline tauruck

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 04:50:07 AM »
I agree with Saltwheels. That shop looks really neat.
Great enviroment to work in. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 08:05:45 AM »

Who says a 'man-cave" needs a flat screen?

Completely equipped, well lighted - I'd throw a cot in the corner and never leave except for pizza and beer - and I'd probably just have the pizza delivered.

:cheers:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 08:14:48 AM »
Rex, I'm jealous. You must have a separate area where you do welding and grinding or else you clean and paint every six months.  :-D :-D :-D

That's a really nice machine shop.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 08:43:13 AM »
Congrats  Rex...looks like a first rate shop too. JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 10:07:59 PM »
  Rex, lots of room on the right wall for nudie pictures or of the Saltosaurus if you really need inspiration. truly an excellent shop.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 05:41:05 PM »
A little update just to show you that we have not been setting on our hands for the last few weeks. We have it partially disassembled and have the rear axle removed and a new, wider one on order from Winters Performance and I plan to be ordering a set of funny car front spindles from Strange Eng next week to start on the new, wider front axle. When we install the new front axle we will be moving the axle forward whihc will increasing the wheel base about 20 inches. Hopefully we will get the axles done in the next couple of months and then we can also work on the new body panels and tail which will shorten the car by about 4 feet. Good to do the disassemble as it gets you more familiar with the car which should make it easier to work on at the Salt. The guy that built the car, Ralph Linde (Lynde?) must have had a lot of aircraft experience as his favorite fastener for the body panels are 10-32 flat head screws into riveted in nut plates. This is nice if you don't ever want to work on the car but a bit of a drag if you need to!

We are making these modifications because we feel that running the car as we received it would be a waste of time and money. With the way the car was configured with the close mounted wheels we feel that there was no way that it would be able to approach what we feel is its potential. We received the car with plenty of time to make the chassis and body mods before next August. As I originally stated our plan for Bonneville is to run the "stock" Ninja engine that came in the car and as they are typically pretty reliable we hope to be able to get my son comfortable in it and maybe get him licensed for over 175 and just get some experience running the car. Then if Wednesday or Thursday rolls around and we haven't "blowed her up" we may add a certain percentage of some "soda pop" and see what she will do. As of right now that is all just wishful thinking I have been involved with racing long enough to know that the best laid plans usually don't mean much!

A couple of pics to show some progress.

Rex 
Rex

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
By moving the front wheels forward where does this place the wheels in regards to the nose of the body?

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »
bearing burner,
The wheels will be approx 20 inches behind the very tip of the nose, I have actually considered moving it far enough forward such that the leading edge of the wing section I am going to build to cover the front axle would align with the nose tip. This would make the transition as low drag as can be made but I am planning some fairly long root lead in fairings so that may work out almost as good.

Rex
Rex

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
Bob, thanks for the info and photos of the car that my son and I now own, I saw it the very first time Ralph took it to the salt in 2003 and admired its construction then. It has been offered several times for sale and as I have previously said we were very fortunate to have gotten the car and after our changes we hope that we can make it a record holder.

The 502 car is one that Ralph built back in the late 60s early 70s I think. It is now owned by a friend of mine Jimmy Yreberry and Jim did run the car for a number of years and held several lakester records. It is, as all of Ralph's cars seem to be, beautifully constructed and state of the art engineering. Jim has pretty much got the car almost "race ready" but due to money and time it may be a while before it sees the salt again.

Thanks again!!

Rex
Rex

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 11:48:57 PM »
Rex, you'se guys are getting a lot of flooding according to the news.  Hopefully you are OK.