Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161139 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« on: December 05, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
Well I have finally admitted to myself that at my age I will probably never get the small lakester built that I have been planing on for the last 10 years but I have been very fortunate to have been able to purchase, in partnership with my son, Duke, a very nice "I" class wing tank lakester that is extremely well built and has never been run. The car was originally built by Ralph Lindey and was first at Bonneville around 2002, plus or minus a couple of years. I was at the salt the very first time that Ralph had the car there and was very impressed with the quality of the construction. He had some problems with being able to see properly and had to abort it's only run at the salt the next time I saw the car was when a friend of mine, David Best, purchased it and as it turned out it proved not to be the car that Dave really wanted and as I said my son and I were able to purchase it from Dave. The present engine is a Kawasaki 900 cc Ninja of about 2000 heritage and has Kinsler constant flow injection set up for methanol, there is also a complete full 1000 cc engine for a spare. The car has full suspension and is quite long (24 1/2 feet!) and as you can see from the pics it has a narrow track, which is on the list for being changed! Our plan is to make some small changes that we fell will help performance and also make the car easier to work on then show up a Bonneville next year and beat it like a "rented mule"! Get my son licensed and find out the traits of the car so that the next year we can show up with a car that "may" be competitive with Stainless's car.  At least that is the "plan"!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline krusty

Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »
Congrats on the acquisition. Now get to work! Get Harry over for a consult!

vic
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:43:21 PM by krusty »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
Rex, is the car set up such that you could run the present narrow suspension and then your new wider set-up? It would be interesting to see which aerodynamic theories, as far as the wheels being close to the body or not, hold water.

That's a really nice looking car. Good luck with it.

Pete

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »
Rex, Very nice car. It will be fun to have another small cc lakester running. Best if luck. I think that the I/FL lakester is only 221.183. Hope to see you and your son on good salt in 2017. :cheers:

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 08:21:10 PM »
COOL. Good lookin' car.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 08:27:58 PM »
you guys have fun   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »
Rex:

Nice, looking forward to watching your progress.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 10:23:42 PM »
Anything over 1000 cc is just insecurity.   :wink:

That's a slick lookin' tank.  Keep us posted!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 10:34:35 PM »
Nice tank Rex... I remember seeing it on the salt before, but didn't know if it ever ran... I will have to look through my old pictures.  It looks great... vision could be a minor issue, but it always is in small cars.  I'm sure you are already thinking about it, but I'll suggest... might want to put a fin on it.  
We look forward to your runs and hope we have to throw N20 at our 1 liter Suzuki to try to take the record back.  I think Johnboy has held that one for about 21 years or so now... it would be a good entry into the 200 MPH Club
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 02:40:18 AM »
Rex - Nice Tank.

Nathan - you won't fit!
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 03:44:58 AM »
Rex, you're a dark horse brother. :-D
Awesome build. I'm subscribed. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 02:00:58 PM »
I can see where there might be a vision problem. You might have to do a couple of mods.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
Rex, where have you been hiding this beauty?! I sure would not worry about narrow front and rear track. If weight distribution is good and Cp is well enough behind Cg, you are good to go. Also, to help put that Cp back as far as you can get it, follow Stainless' advice and sprout a rear fin. Gorgeous tank, Rex.

John

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:50 PM »
One of the mods that is on the list is to shorten the rear of the car and make the chute exit from the top of the car. My present thinking is to make a new body for the rear (wheels back) to conform to a NACA 66018 profile from about the 45% line back. If we do this then I will construct a tail fin that extends from the bottom of the body. Peter it would certainly be informative to test the narrow track vs a wider track but right now the goal is to get it running, make sure the vision forward is acceptable and as I said:"beat it like a rented mule!" Lots of things to do and I am lucky that my son fits well and is also a great fabricator/welder.

We pick it up on the 17th and then "let the fun begin!!!" I'll keep everyone posted as we get things done.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 07:10:37 PM »
Rex,
Like everybody else, I think that is a really nice car.  However, I have some reservations about your planned modifications.  I think you just need to put some wheel discs on the rears, like the fronts, and just run it before getting involved with a lot of changes.  Fabrication has bogged you down once already, why bite off more than may be needed?  Better to dyno/iron out the operation of the engine and systems.

The nice long tail gives more leverage to the chute and should help with lateral stability during shutdown.  Why shorten it?

Why raise the chute to the top of the body?  That would increase its pitch leverage and tend to lighten the front (steering) end.

It  is a very simple body, get out the lathe and make a wooden model, stick on some wheels and hang it out the car window and locate the CP.  Maybe add a fin and see what happens.  A 66018 can’t be all that much better than what you have.