Author Topic: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:  (Read 161105 times)

Offline wickedwagens

Re: Schimmer and Son "I" class fuel lakester:
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2018, 04:28:31 PM »
It was great to see you out there.  I didn't have time to stop and say HI as we were chasing our own issues, but thanks for reporting how you guys did.
1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
G/CFALT  106.643 MPH  8/2016    G/CGALT  113.131 MPH  9/2016
G/CBGALT  169.462  MPH  8/2021    G/CBFALT  146.715  MPH  8/2017
G/CBGC  158.242  MPH  9/2017   H/CBGC  94.334 MPH  8/2018
H/CPRO  93.383 MPH  8/2018   H/CBFALT  101.282 MPH 9/2018
H/CBGALT  120.591 MPH 9/2018
Top Speed 170.726 MPH
36hp VW 100 mph club 9/2019 102.319 MPH

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2019, 01:57:25 PM »
Just a quick update: I have designed all of the parts to adapt an MSD "Midget" ignition system to our motor and now I am machining the parts. Once I have it completed I will post some pics. Hope to get the motor over to Dynamic Engines for a check over, we have the injection system at Kinsler for a freshening. I have some work to do on the rear axle plus some trailer and truck things and with the roadster that we (Duke mostly)  are working on we will not be spending much time in the "bars"!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »
Got all of the parts made to adapt the MSD "Midget" ignition to our little screamer. I have completed the assembly and drill and reamed the "dutch pins" to connect the magnet wheel to the engine crank. I installed with 30 degrees of initial advance, as the MSD changes the timing by retarding from the base (30 degrees in my case). I have also made the plate that the pickups are on with +or - 10 degrees of adjustment. That plate pilots around the mounting plate for the ball bearing that carries the shaft so it should be concentric. The 8mm cap screw holds every thing together on the crank snout. The original ignition mounted on this end of the crank and had a special spline coupling which I have incorporated into the shaft that carries the magnet wheel. Just as a precaution I made the shaft from 7075-T651 as it is almost 2x as strong as 6061-T651. I will drill all of the caps screws for safety wire and once the timing is set they will all be loctited and locked wired. We are looking for a much stronger spark than our original ignition system and this set up is made for engines that have lots of compression, run on methanol and turn lots of rpm.

Rex
Rex

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
Rex;

Isn't 7075-T6 nice to machine?  Happiness is drilling 7075-T6 with a brand new sharp drill  :-)

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
We bought 6082 but they were out of stock so gave us 7075 instead. What a win.
It machined great.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2019, 12:54:25 AM »
Is the MSD trigger the common inductive type? Or a Hall effect transistor?

I like the position-sensing of the Hall effect, versus velocity-sensing of inductive. It allows static timing settings, in the same manner as breaker points do. If anyone wants to put their own sensor together, I found an off-shore source of Hall effect units for $2 each!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline chris procter

• New folks
  • Bonneville 2018
« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »
Hi Rex & Duke

Thanks for your exultant information about your cars.

I am building a small J or K BG BF lakester for 2021 Speed week. My biggest problem is that I live on the Isle of Man UK. You may have seen the Isle of Man TT Road Races on the TV. I have to rely on Google for inspiration. My friend and I have competed at Speed week in 2012, 14 (flooded), 16, and 18 on motorcycles. So a Motorcycle engine lakester is perfect for us.
Richard broke 2 records in 2012 on a 500cc APS BG 203mph and BF at 188mph. In 2016 I broke a record on the Saturday then broke my Leg on the Sunday. Richard got 2 moor records in 2018 but my bike handled very bad so nothing for me in 18.

My Lakester will be based on a Tornado Jet fuel tank and the Engines from a Yamaha yzf 600. we can alter the engines  from 500cc to 660cc. with a Motec M400 ECU and a Garrett T25
Richard and I do all our own work and relay enjoy the challenge at Bonneville

Rex please can you help me with the size of your water tank and the caster on your front axle 

Thanks Chris     
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:31:38 PM by chris procter »

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #232 on: March 08, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
Jack,
I think the MSD system uses inductive pick ups as there is a magnet in the "timing" wheel which I assume provides an inductive signal to the pick ups. (All a guess on my part!)

Chris,
Your new lakester project sounds great! Lots of things you can do with the 600 cc motors. They make really good power. The J/FS of Brant/Speranza/Wright us a 660 cc Honda in their streamliner and have the record at around 220 mph. Lots of RPM!!!

Our water tank is 10 gallons and our caster is 12 degrees. I would think that you need at least this size tank if you are going to run gas and a turbo. We run methanol and last year at the WOS meet we made 4 runs in about 2 hours and the water never got over 150 deg F. Methanol is really great for keeping the engine cool.
Looking forward to seeing you at the 2021 meet!

Rex 
Rex

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2019, 06:29:50 PM »
Pre race update: Fired the engine today and after a little head scratchen about exactly what plug wire goes to which plug it fired up with a vengence. If nothing else the new MSD Midget box really helped the starting, once it got a little  heat into it never had to prime it. Some small leaks, oil and fuel, to fix and a quick trip to a local dyno just to make sure it will pull 11,000 plus in gear and then complete assembly and ready for Speedweek!! Sure hope we are in "KILL" mode when we get there. See you all soon!

Rex and Duke
Rex

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: July 14, 2019, 09:41:48 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #235 on: July 24, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
Spent a couple of hours on the dyno at TFB Motor Sports at the Sonoma race track and pretty much had a re-run of last year at the World of Speed, it didn't like anything over 8500. So Duke and I drug it home and called Kinsler and talked to Brad in the tech support group. After describing what was happening, Brad went through our system with us on the phone and I am sure that he found our (my) FU. Some idiot (I qualify for this position) had the fuel inlet and the secondary return lines connected backwards on the barrel valve. So off to the dyno tomorrow to verify the set up and hopefully get back on schedule for Speed Week. Better here than at the salt!!

Rex
Rex

Offline racergeo

« Reply #236 on: July 24, 2019, 05:19:45 PM »
  Rex, the diff. between finding something wrong and "not" are like the difference between night and day. Now your in the light.

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2019, 04:55:09 PM »
Duke and I have just returned from the dyno and both of us have really big smiles on our faces!! Got to the dyno about 9:30 got the car strapped down and warming up about 10:00, once the water got to 125 deg F (doesn't get much hotter no matter how long you wait, it's the methanol) made three runs, 10,000, 11,000 and 12,000 rpms done! Back on the trailer by 10:30 and home by noon. Engine ran perfect, made some very respectful horse power. We plan not to disclose the hp numbers but let the "Big White Dyno" tell the real story. We both regret that neither of us took a video, the sound alone would have been impressive. I cannot recommend the guys at TFB Racing enough, they at at the Sonoma Raceway and their dyno is state of the art for a "rolling road" inertia style dyno.

Now to get all of the things done that we have had to let slide in the last couple of weeks so I can be out of here in 7 days. See you at the salt!!!

Rex and Duke
Rex

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2019, 05:01:13 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »
Success in spite of your efforts!  :-o :-P
See youse guys there!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz