Author Topic: Lakester WheelBase & Track  (Read 18210 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Lakester WheelBase & Track
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 03:08:48 PM »
Rex
Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 01:41:28 PM »
We were very fortunate that Ben Jordan, Lynn Yakel and Roberta Nichols were good friends.  Lynn and Roberta were long time Bonnevillers and Aero Engineers.  Lynn was involved with multiple streamliner designs, and in the mid 70's Ben asked him to design a body to go 200 in the K class.  While we were not successful in that endeavor, after the liner debuted at the salt in 76, a lot of small flat sided liners started showing up and going very fast.  One of the first was Don DeBring, a Lockheed engineer that apologized for stealing the basic idea and went very fast with a junkyard Fiat motor.  It was OK, because we stole his rear motor design when we turned the Bockscar into a lakester.  Lynn gave us the axle positions for the car and their track widths.  While our configuration may not work with a tank or with large motor classes it has worked for us and as of this writing it holds 9 200 MPH+ records in G, H, I and J classes. (I always clarify time, because every record is temporarily held)  
Rex, I wish I could take credit for our motors, but a lot of our motors were group efforts with my partners Marty and Kevin Sutton.  Our first Kawasaki was originally a Bob Wirth motor, till we pushed it a little too hard.  :-o  We ran Honda, then Kawasaki, and since 2002 Suzuki motors... We've run most of them to their failure point... Our current G motor is the first 1630 Steve Knecum built.... I got it with an old Larry Forstall race bike... we hope to run it at WoS next year when John Goodman has his G/F lakester ready to race with us.
We are HP loyal not brand loyal.  :cheers:

my little ramble through history is over, go look at successful cars, then build it any way you decide, race it, be safe, have fun and go fast  
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:44:05 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »
The JCB streamliner was flat-sided too.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 09:02:27 PM »
Lynn Goodfellow's Mormon Missile Duramax-powered liner was flat, too, as I remember.  Got a great video of it when Curt looped it leaving the pits on the return run for the FIA record - shows many sides of the car... :roll:  The vid is on the other 'puter, sorry.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 11:12:06 PM »
1980... Don DeBring's Longshot. H/FS... return record runs... he went 224+ to get in the club
but we digress... this is a Lakester WB and Track thread
(and yes, that is a previous I/GT record holder @ 120.872 also on return runs that morning)

so back to subject  :cheers:

How long is the tank you are thinking of using
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 07:39:30 AM »
And some young Vesco people in the background, and wouldja lookit that surface -- it looks like it's all salty or somethin'.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline oj

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »
1980... Don DeBring's Longshot. H/FS... return record runs... he went 224+ to get in the club
but we digress... this is a Lakester WB and Track thread
(and yes, that is a previous I/GT record holder @ 120.872 also on return runs that morning)

so back to subject  :cheers:

How long is the tank you are thinking of using

Digress all you want, there is no end of the pleasure I am getting from it. 
I dunno how long it'll be, I got some basic dimensions for a stretched +20" P-38 tank off the internet, it shows 173".  I am designing from the nose rearward and am currently about 72" back from the nose.  The chassis actually starts about 12" behind the nose and I've gotten as far back as the seat rear braces/shoulder hoop/rear cage intersection.  I would venture a guess and say the WB about 150ish", sound reasonable?

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
Yep that's the way, start at the front & keep stacking $hit up until you get to the back! Don't skimp too much with the spacing, it get's a lot more crowded in there than you think. :oops: Don't make the mistake of sitting upright so you need to park an oil rig on the top of the thing.
  Sid.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 11:13:08 AM »
Yep that's the way, start at the front & keep stacking $hit up until you get to the back! Don't skimp too much with the spacing, it get's a lot more crowded in there than you think. :oops: Don't make the mistake of sitting upright so you need to park an oil rig on the top of the thing.
  Sid.
And when you are measuring stuff (you) for the drivers compartment and cage (especially height) be in full fire suit and helmet. They add a lot. Not only when you are lying back but also when you enter sitting up and slide back to the seat. The front bar of the over-helmet cage may interfere getting in and out, even if there is apparent adequate clearance when you are fully seated.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 11:21:34 AM »
Sid is right, packaging can be a bitch...  the better you can see, the more sitting up your are, the slower you are going to go.
Jack is also right... you have to get in and out with all your gear... including Hans and helmet
Remember you are not driving in traffic  :roll:
Stainless

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »
it will blow your mind how far forward you will have to but the hoop over your legs to be able to get in and out---also the helmets are changing from cert to cert---we are having to make changes  to see well over the lower part of the helmet face plate junction---do not forget the head sock--- it makes a difference what position the helmet wants to ride on your head.  Also I suggest using the 9 point safety harness---it is harder to make the cockpit work but you are in there much more "locked down"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tortoise

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »
The JCB streamliner was flat-sided too.

Flat sided makes more sense for a streamliner than a lakester. Wheels are flat sided.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »
If you look at them sideways the wheels are round.  :-D

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 09:19:36 PM »
Are ya keepin up with all this OJ? :-D What's OJ short for, ya last name isn't Simpson is it? :evil:
If you plan on getting yourself down in there or even looking through the nose, you will need to come up with a helmet with enough front opening depth to see over the chin area plus the mandatory head n neck crap. Put the helmet on, standing straight put your chin on your chest, if you can see your feet that'll work. If ya belly's in the way......build a door car.  :|
  Sid. 

Offline oj

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 09:53:56 AM »
Are ya keepin up with all this OJ? :-D What's OJ short for, ya last name isn't Simpson is it? :evil:
If you plan on getting yourself down in there or even looking through the nose, you will need to come up with a helmet with enough front opening depth to see over the chin area plus the mandatory head n neck crap. Put the helmet on, standing straight put your chin on your chest, if you can see your feet that'll work. If ya belly's in the way......build a door car.  :|
  Sid. 

Nope, not Simpson & the glove don't fit me either!
I haven't missed anything, my pea brain is processing and absorbing at full speed.  If I ask the same questions next week its' because I temporarily confused myself.