Author Topic: How heavy is your ride?  (Read 7281 times)

Offline deep in debt motorsports

How heavy is your ride?
« on: November 29, 2016, 02:37:07 PM »
New to forums.My pop and I will be campaigning a C/GR.I have driven the car several times over the years and she gets a little hairy over 180.When the car was four wheel drive ,200+ was a one hander but no more.I know there are LOTS of reasons for ill handling but I would like to get an idea of total weight of other roadster pilots out there to start.Sorry if this has been covered.Our car is at 3230 total with driver.
Thanks
#327 C/GR

Offline Stan Back

Re: How heavy is your ride?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 04:31:26 PM »
P.M. sent.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 05:03:46 PM »
Sounded kinda like a gangsta way to ask about a girlfriend's weight, if you ask me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »
Stan is quietly sharing some of his secrets of how to keep the front of a roadster at the front. 8-)
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »
Scenic tours are not so bad at Bonneville . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 03:41:41 AM »
I can tell a few stories from a builder/owner perspective. As the pilot, Nathan Stewart can bring them to life.  Where are you running; it makes a difference? I suspect you’re too light.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 03:54:18 AM »
Sounded kinda like a gangsta way to ask about a girlfriend's weight, if you ask me.

I just knew you'd "weigh" in with an answer like that!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:48:36 AM »
I can tell a few stories from a builder/owner perspective. As the pilot, Nathan Stewart can bring them to life.  Where are you running; it makes a difference? I suspect you’re too light.

Skip Pipes
Bonneville but would like to start playing at the lake bed also!
#327 C/GR

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
Got me going in circles all the time   :cheers: 

Seriously its more than just weight how's the center of pressure and gravity on the car two very important things to know?
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 08:00:39 PM »
... Seriously its more than just weight how's the center of pressure and gravity on the car two very important things to know?

Plus one on the importance of "the center of pressure and gravity" being a big deal, but also not so easy to deal with for a roadster.

Have you checked your scrub radius?  If it is off by much it can also cause the car to "hunt",

Sumner

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 09:55:21 PM »
... Seriously its more than just weight how's the center of pressure and gravity on the car two very important things to know?

Plus one on the importance of "the center of pressure and gravity" being a big deal, but also not so easy to deal with for a roadster.

Have you checked your scrub radius?  If it is off by much it can also cause the car to "hunt",

Sumner
As soon as I get it back on all 4s I will be all over the scrub!Still curious what guys weigh!!!!!!No one will call you fat :-D
#327 C/GR

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 11:34:42 PM »
The fastest roadsters are around 6000 lbs.  Weight and HP is a balance... if the tires spin you need more weight, if they don't you need more HP
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 01:56:17 AM »
If you’re going to play in the dirt you might want to add weight in 100 lb increments. Side and cross weights are important, so be prepared to add ballast to get it right. As Sumner mentioned, pay close attention to front end geometry. I initially missed a critical steering input and paid for it with spins and lousy handling for 8 events. All is well now.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 05:50:31 PM »
1 pound heavier than you need, to prevent it from spinning  :-D.

The un written rule for LSR high boy roadsters "The sun comes up in the morning, taxes are collected, and roadster spin".

It's seems it's when and not if. Never thought we would be one but it happened once. Other have told me if you haven't spun your roadster your not going fast enough. Good luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »
we have been in circles twice,not fun!!!!!
#327 C/GR