Author Topic: 54 years ago today!  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
54 years ago today!
« on: November 22, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
Dang, was it really that far back?  Sure enough -- 22 November 1962, and Mom picked me up at school and handed me an official-looking envelope from the Federal Communications Commission.  It was my first ham ticket -- WN8GDW.

Whew - a bunch of years later and I'm in the Old Old Timer's Club and sheesh, whoever thought it'd turn out like this?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: 54 years ago today!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 10:23:57 AM »
As we have seen here before.... getting older is required.... growing up is optional...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »
You were advanced compared to me.  I was a nine year old guy and my school buddy and me were figuring out how to build crystal radios so we could listen to Wolfman Jack.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »
  XERB, Baby!  I had wires strung in the attic to pick it up while reading MAD Magazine and the wonderful artwork and wit of Don Martin.  That would be around 1958-60. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
                                                                            O.R.B.
Bob Drury

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »
"Wolfman Jack" = Bob Smith. At one time I heard he was a DJ on AFN Saigon; maybe someone knows if that is true. He also had a bit part in "American Graffiti". Totally cool guy.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ  (also a Mad Magazine of the '50s fan. Wallace Wood & Jack Davis were my favorite artists)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tallguy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 01:41:19 AM »
"Wolfman Jack" = Bob Smith. At one time I heard he was a DJ on AFN Saigon; maybe someone knows if that is true. He also had a bit part in "American Graffiti". Totally cool guy.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ  (also a Mad Magazine of the '50s fan. Wallace Wood & Jack Davis were my favorite artists)

Not that there are any folks interested in land speed racing that are old enough to have heard of any of the following, but
here goes anyway.

I once went to a live performance concert that featured The Coasters, The Drifters, and The Platters, hosted by Wolfman Jack.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 12:41:03 PM »

Not that there are any folks interested in land speed racing that are old enough to have heard of any of the following, but
here goes anyway.

I once went to a live performance concert that featured The Coasters, The Drifters, and The Platters, hosted by Wolfman Jack.
That must have been a GREAT concert!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 06:38:05 PM »
In my short-turn Vietnam experience, every morning we heard "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!" There was a movie with (I believe) Robin Williams playing the part (or was it he, himself) or (Is this just a dream of mine?).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 07:15:25 PM »
Stan, that was Adrian Cronauer that RW portrayed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Cronauer

Listened to him when I was in VN and used to service his motorcycle in Lima, Ohio after I (we) got back.  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz