Author Topic: SFI  (Read 8314 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

SFI
« on: November 22, 2016, 01:39:45 AM »
I didn't see that re-certification of SFI clutch cans is required. What if a certification is 20 years old? My Lakewood can his never been damaged, has the chrome-moly liner, etc.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:41:28 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: SFI
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »
If it's in good condition & you can read the tag it's good to go.
  Sid.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:10:20 AM »
Good news. Thanks Sid.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »
This is not the NHRA, and if it becomes like it I'll not compete anymore, and hard parts are not required to be replaced like them. If we had to replace items like trans shields, dampeners, flywheels, torque converters, starter ring gears, fire suits, Hans style devices, etc our competing would be a lot moe expensive.

I believe all manufacturers are in the back pocket of the NHRA or the other way around keeping the old time drag racers from competing. I also believe they are much harder on some parts but my 2 fire suits, a -15 and -20 are as good as new and there is no need for Recerts or replacements same with my Hans. Just an opinion..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »
I haven't run NHRA. But in NTPA the re-certification was irritating. On one winter's re-certification a fellow competitor's Lakewood clutch can was failed and he had to buy a new one. The "failed" one was one year old with no damage. It had an area that didn't meet minimum thickness specification! :evil: :evil: :evil:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline John Burk

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:50:54 PM »
I had to cut the bottom inch off my Lakewood bellhousing for ground clearance and replace it with a flat 1/4" plate welded inside and out . The clutch is a 7 1/4" Quatermaster that's never going to blow . Will it get past tec .

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 10:50:03 AM »
Have you read rule 3.0? If unsure, get pre-approval.
  Sid.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
IIRC, I think the purpose of 360 degree scatter-shields was to keep from making divots in the drag strip from clutch and flywheel parts.
From my inspections at Bonneville, I think the only thing inspectors look for is a hydro-formed steel or heavy shield of some sort to protect drivers. From my point of view, which is worth what you gave for it, hydro-formed should never go bad without major problems that would probably cause distortion and need replaced anyway.
From Jack's post, If it passed SFI inspection once how did it get thinner to not pass re-inspection :?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 12:05:20 AM »
... From Jack's post, If it passed SFI inspection once how did it get thinner to not pass re-inspection :?...
That's a question Lakewood never did answer. And since it had been used for a season, they wouldn't take it back either.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »
Pretty hard to wear one out.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 12:25:47 PM »
Oh I don't know, as an engine manufacturer said to a certain top alcohol dragster team
 "you guys could break an anvil in a sandbox with a feather"
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 03:35:11 PM »
If it passed SFI inspection once how did it get thinner to not pass re-inspection :?

That's the thing - there is no SFI inspection during manufacturing.  The manufacturer provides one piece to SFI for certification.  Once the item is certified, the manufacturer then spits out hundreds of the item and slaps on a SFI decal saying the item is certified.  It isn't until a spot check is done that the item is actually inspected.  I believe this is how the debacle with Impact came up a couple years ago.  First fire suit that was sent to SFI was certified but then someone found out they were cutting corners during manufacturing that the production pieces didn't match the ones that were originally certified.  That's the story as best I know it.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline jdincau

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »
I believe this is how the debacle with Impact came up a couple years ago.  First fire suit that was sent to SFI was certified but then someone found out they were cutting corners during manufacturing that the production pieces didn't match the ones that were originally certified.  That's the story as best I know it.
The story I heard was that after certification Impact refused to pay SFI's price for the labels and made their own so SFI punished them.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 04:44:04 PM »
All that kinda goes along with why we only get one label for a pair of belts.  We've been asked in Inspection where the label of the other side is.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records