Author Topic: Seen on the Aussie Invader FB page  (Read 3665 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Seen on the Aussie Invader FB page
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
A guy here in Wichita has that one in his collection...

wonder if he knows it is for sale  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 12:20:40 AM »
I've only met Mr. Smith (the seller) a couple times... I asked him about the car (pretty sure it's the old English Leather dragstrip car), and I don't think I've ever heard that thing was actually on the salt. Anyone know if the claims are true in the auction page?

One thing is for sure, it does not fit in with the rest of his collection of mostly pre-war Euro motor cars. He's got a dozen early Bentleys (which he drives on the streets of Doodah and on road tours), and some exceptionally fine stuff like a 1930 Isotta Fraschini, and the biggest collection of glass Lalique mascots I've ever witnessed.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 10:07:21 AM »
Originally this car starts as a wheel driven competitor for the FIA record, but the racer didn't work the way as designed...and you can say...it was the forerunner of Rob Freyvogel's streamliner.

it was converted into a rocket car, used at the quarter mile drag strip, using solid rockets which burned for calculated time.

sponsor changed the name, originally American Spirit (also known under a other SoA name), after the conversion to the rockets, Yellow Zonker (painted yellow) and English Leather (painted brown).

Finally Craig took the car to Bonneville to get the quarter mile record...the out coming was not exactly what he was looking for.....but speed and time are correct as shown and the speed would have been good enough for the record book. Craig walked away with a stiff neck.....the car wasn't useable after coming to the halt.....and didn't run again...the racer was roughly rebuilt, went around the states for awhile and nearly forgotten - a couple years ago someone found the racer and restored them back to more or less the original shape.

The rocket shown at the picture....this version is different to the rockets Craig used at the drag strip....due to this there are no picture (from the rear end) from the Bonneville attempt it is not known what rocket configuration the racer run at that day.....

also the paint design, to my understanding, was never used by Craig during his active time at the drag strip....

hope this answered some questions about this racer....and yes....this racer is a piece of LSR history.....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:26:20 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline aircap

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 01:46:01 AM »
Thanks, Pork Pie - I stand corrected.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince