Author Topic: Trump'd up Help?  (Read 23871 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Trump'd up Help?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 05:56:35 PM »
Mike -

I openly admit I have fallen into the category of the "Fair Weather Soldier" with respect to Bonneville.  I don't believe the type of sustained leadership necessary to pursue the cause is there, and I have some issues with the rhetorical boilerplate of the designated mouthpiece.  I do believe we had momentum a year ago, but the last 11 months, starting in Oregon and ending in the recent coup d'etat of the Republican Party, have simply taken the starch out of me.  It certainly didn't help our cause that the BLM was able to put together a promotional piece showing what appeared to be a fully functional event.

And realistically, we're in a holding pattern until the study is done.

I'm certainly not looking for a savior in Washington.  The recent election and the assentation of the former Speaker of the House to the position as "Chief Planner" - provided he has the ear of the President elect - does not bode well for environmentalists such as myself with regard to restoring the Bonneville Salt Flats International Speedway.

I've had this comic strip posted in my basement for 20 years -

http://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/1996/01/14

My memory is long on these issues, and while I fully recognize the need to mine for products that make this modern world what it is today, and the need to make America competitive in the world markets, I think we should also balance those needs against the desires of those who have traditionally used places such as Bonneville for recreation.

My fear is that we will be viewed as standing in the way of making America great again.  It's my hope that we are recognized as a component of that greatness.

Maintaining lease agreements with marginally profitable companies, utilizing third-world extraction technologies that leave the surrounding environment blighted, in order to compete in a market of  cheap, internationally traded commodities is not a strategy for greatness. 

My views are always evolving, and I know things change, but today, I am not optimistic.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
We will not quit trying.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »
I wonder if Hillary would be a better choice?  I see rumblings of an Electoral college take over. :-D

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:05 PM »
  Trump is going to give us all a 35 percent reduction in our taxes LOL When that happens I will have more cash to donate to the return the salt fund. However I think this president will have everyone under him fearful of spending a dime so in my opinion all is not going to go well for this issue and most of the country's issue's. Its going to be a rough ride but hey its only for four long years. IMO   :-(
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline krusty

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »
     "I have some issues with the rhetorical boilerplate of the designated mouthpiece."

Chris, that is a wonderfully phrased sentence. I'm in agreement. 

vic

Offline jdincau

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »
     "I have some issues with the rhetorical boilerplate of the designated mouthpiece."

Chris, that is a wonderfully phrased sentence. I'm in agreement. 

vic
me too
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
Holy cow, you guys!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline joea

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
love trumps apathy...

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »
I wonder if Hillary would be a better choice?  I see rumblings of an Electoral college take over. :-D

Whoa; I didn't come to this forum, or go racing, or go to work, or go fishing, or go hunting, or spend time with my grand kids, or drink beer and BBQ, or do really anything else, to listen to a bunch of political sourer grapes.

As far as I'm concerned we have had enough criminals in charge, if that is what you prefer, good for you, but you can just keep it to yourself I don't need to hear it.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »

Whoa; I didn't come to this forum, or go racing, or go to work, or go fishing, or go hunting, or spend time with my grand kids, or drink beer and BBQ, or do really anything else, to listen to a bunch of political sourer grapes.

As far as I'm concerned we have had enough criminals in charge, if that is what you prefer, good for you, but you can just keep it to yourself I don't need to hear it.

Rouse

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline rouse

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 09:14:05 AM »
I wonder if Hillary would be a better choice?  I see rumblings of an Electoral college take over. :-D

Rouse

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
  Sid.

Thanks Sid

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse

Offline jdincau

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2016, 09:18:42 AM »
Wow, went right over my head, I thought Chris was referring to LSL!
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
Sid, Rouse, et al -

I agree - a lot of raw nerves in the political wasteland at the moment, but the sad truth of the matter is this -

At El Mirage, we're beholden to the BLM

At Bonneville, we're beholden to the BLM

The year we raced at El Muroc, we were beholden to the Air Force

At Loring, we're beholden to Air Force

At Maxton, I believe we were beholden to the city or county government that operated the field

At Wilmington, we were beholden to the County authorities

If we are to continue to race, we will continue to be involved in politics.

I know there are many political viewpoints held by members of these boards.  But I still believe what unites us is bigger than what divides us - particularly in this community.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 12:37:51 PM »
    Did I mention earlier that this topic was about appointing a new Secretary of Interior?  Oh, yeah... it was the opening paragraph of the topic.
  We do not need Political discussions on this site unless they are involving current decision making INVOLVING OUR SPORT!  Politicians are like As*holes...they all stink...
                                                                                            One Run, out ......................................................
Bob Drury

Offline rouse

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2016, 01:47:57 PM »
That's the point I was going for. We all have to deal with politics on some level.

I think as far as Bonneville's concerned the BLM and the folks that have say in how they do their job should be the focus. Not some other petty BS .

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse