Author Topic: Trump'd up Help?  (Read 23873 times)

Offline DRW

Re: Trump'd up Help?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 02:00:19 PM »
Ive Often wondered , If your going to mine , Even, 1%,  Why not start at the very base of the Mountain ?
Far ,Far Away , From Where we race ? 
Is the one and only answer, Because it would take work ?
DW 
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »
Ive Often wondered , If your going to mine , Even, 1%,  Why not start at the very base of the Mountain ?
Far ,Far Away , From Where we race ? 
Is the one and only answer, Because it would take work ?
DW 

Uhhhmmm,  for the same reason that the "low hanging fruit" is harvested first . . . . . . .    LESS WORK, MORE PROFIT.

None of this mattered, until the "limitless resource" became "depleted".

Even the vastness of the oceans are no longer considered "limitless".
 :cry:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline DRW

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 04:22:30 PM »
Yea, I knew,,, Damn Cheap Ass Workers.   I wonder if there were ever guys into Bonneville working there  ?
And saying, Hey , You sure we should be doing this , Every Month of Every year Of Every Decade that they did mining ?
I just cant get how people take and take and take , As if it wouldnt matter..
All in the name of the mighty buck .
Come on Americans, Show Some Pride !

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
Lucas is one of the sponsors on the team Vesco streamlines and supports Save the Salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »
Are these limitless resources the same ones as the passenger pigeon, redwoods, and buffalo to name a few.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »
All of you complaining about the mine seem to be a bunch of selfish hypocrites IMO. I am sure that environmentalists would say that racing on the salt is also bad for it so they should just shut down the mine AND  ban all racing on the salt to preserve it.  You can't have it both ways. If the mine gets shut down there is a good possibilty racing would be shut down as well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:23:38 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline DRW

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
I for one was not complaining, I was just saying, Dont be lazy and go mine salt right up against the mountains, Where no one will ever race 
I dont think that is Wrong, Selfish , Or mean , , Just the best for both worlds ? 

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »
There is no large quantity of salt next to the mountains to be mined. The salt flats is salt residue from an ancient salt lake. They call it "Mining", but basically they are just pumping off mostly surface salt that has been dissolved by rain water and snow melt. That's how the crust went from many feet thick to .5".

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline DRW

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 10:51:23 PM »
It gets my stomach in a knot, I feel like its a lucky thing now when we race, 2014 It was wet, 2016 It was dry and thin, 2017 ?
Do we get to race again?  I for one am Always going to be thankful when we get to race now !
As we leave, Its almost like, We pulled it off once more...
Whew, I love that Damn Place, Bonneville       

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »
All of you complaining about the mine seem to be a bunch of selfish hypocrites IMO.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
  Sid.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter who will be in charge.  At the end of the day, this is what will decide the fate of Bonneville -

http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/potash/5-year/

I wonder:  "At what price per ton does the mining operation become unprofitable?"

Just askin' . . . . . .

That, I do not know, but it's a fair bet that it's unprofitable at the moment.

When you've seen the price of your commodity drop ~50% in 5 years, it's a fair bet that any money earmarked for salt reclamation will be equally diminished, if indeed it remains a company priority.

In March, Intrepid was trading at $.65 per share.  It closed Friday at $1.36.

It was valued at ~$25.00 a share in 2011.  It last paid a dividend in 2012.

Even if they're inclined to help, the business appears sick.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 04:54:25 AM »
Chris,

That is exactly why it is SOOO Important that we all get behind the efforts of the STS and Utah Alliance.
Yes, we all know the mining companies have taking our precious salt for decades. We also know that there is still a Sh..t Load of it on the south side of Interstate 80.

Everybody who went to Speedweek in 2016 has to realize, we got to run on a very thin layer of salt. Basically it was only the salt, which was pumped on the BSF by
Intrepid for the last couple of years. Somehow the layer of mud, which was washed down from the mountains during our 2014 SW event, prevents the little bit of salt left
beneath the mud, from percolating up during the hot summer month.

We can pi..s and moan all we want, our only chance to run within the next few years, is to encourage and help Intrepid to pump more salt brine on to the BSF.
As you and a few other guys on here have figured out, Intrepid in not doing very well financially.
If Intrepid closes down, you will not be running on the BSF for a long time. If they go BK, you can bet your sweet behind, they will not stand behind any reclamation
agreements you might think, they have signed.

Now, here is why we all need to support the STS and Utah Alliance. Yes, it would be very favorable to have someone as the head of the Interior Department who supports our cause.
But just as important, are the efforts of getting the government to set aside funds for the "Restoration of the BSF". These funds can be used to keep Intrepid going, during their
bad financial situation.
Believe me, I am not happy having to agree, that "Yes" the salt on the south side of I 80 belongs to Intrepid. Should not, but that's how it is.
The funds, the Interior Department can provide, would pay for the salt, the necessary labor and equipment (i.e. pumps etc.) it will take, to keep the pumps going for several years to come.

I have seen some of the numbers it costs Intrepid to pump 450K -500K tons of salt brine on to the BSF annually.
We, the Scta, BNI, STS etc...., don't have 10 % of that and could not raise it any other way.
Hate to say it, you guys want to keep on running on the Bonneville Salt Flats, better learn how to work with Intrepid and the bureaucrats in Washington DC.
Support the STS and Utah Alliance to Save the Salt !!!

Mike   

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »
I'll ask about the cost of reclamation at the end of the life of the potash mining business in Wendover.  That is -- for all the mining companies I've known - a bond (to pay for the eventual return to "before mined" state -- is an absolute inviolable requirement of a permit.

And the bond is bought early, before the mine is permitted to start building and digging, even, to guarantee that there WILL be money for that eventual re-do to nature.

Does Reilly have one of those bonds posted?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 10:06:31 AM »
....And the bond is bought early, before the mine is permitted to start building and digging, even, to guarantee that there WILL be money for that eventual re-do to nature.

Does Reilly have one of those bonds posted?

They do but the only reclaiming they are required to do from what I've read in the bonds was they have to do things like remove infrastructure from the salt and I believe fill in well holes.  No mention about returning salt.  You can find the info if you search and I think I posted it on one of these salt threads,

Sumner

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »
  Mike,  THIS TOPIC WAS NOT INTENDED TO REFUEL THE DEBATE ON WHO IS OR IS NOT helping to save the salt. I think We all are trying to support The Utah Alliance/Save The Salt in what ever way We can. However, with a little research this is what I found:
      Save The Salt.org:  Last Post was July 30, 2016
      Save The Salt Facebook:  Last Post was September 2, 2016
      Utah Alliance Facebook:  Last Post was August 22, 2016
  Since "the muzzle" was apparently placed on Land Speed Louise, We have received exactly ZERO Official Information from the UA/STS.
  It is a tough sale to march forward with no commands from the Leadership.
                                                                                        Sincerely,  "One Run" Bob Drury
Bob Drury