Author Topic: Gas Coupe class questions  (Read 5665 times)

Offline 38Chevy454

Gas Coupe class questions
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
I have three questions....   :-o

First, my car is a 55 Studebaker Commander (coupe).  I plan to run a non-Studebaker engine, so my understanding is this will put me in gas coupe class due to the engine swap [5.D.3 first paragraph].  My plan is to run the body as original configuration, and here is where my questions arise.

1.  My car has a broken up grille and side trim pieces which are originally cast zinc and chrome plated.  These are an expensive to replace one-year only part.  I also have the typical Studebaker rust in both fenders and a slightly smashed drivers fender.  Since getting good metal grille pieces and fenders would be considerable expense, I thought about going to a fiberglass front end.  Using a 53-54 style which I also thinks looks better.  So my question is that for gas coupe it says "no one-piece front ends" [5.D.3 eighth paragraph].  If I use a fibergalss front end with removeable hood, open up the grille openings to stock size, put the stock headlight buckets in place and run the stock bumpers, will this be enough to meet the "no one-piece front end" rule?

2.  As for air dams, the gas coupe rule states they are allowed [5.D.3 ninth paragraph and 5.D third paragraph] and must not cover the original grille opening, extend beyond the front bumper, must be straight down from the bumper.  It also states that the air dam must not cover the original grille opening.  On the Studebaker, the factory splash pan under the bumper also serves to direct *some* air from under the bumper into the radiator opening.  Which is way under the traditional grille opening.  Does this mean when I run an air dam, I can just extend it from the bottom of the bumper down, or do I have to set it back and go from under the splash pan to maintain that opening area?  See picture below attempting to show that small area under the bumper.

3.  I am considering removing all the stock Studebaker front suspension and installing a solid axle, dropped style axle to help get it low and give more caster capability. I would keep the frame as original required by 5.D.3 fifth paragraph, not replacing the front frame.  Just remove what is not needed for A-arm mounts and will probably use radius rods and coil-over shocks with the solid axle to have a couple inches suspension travel.  Is this legal for gas coupe class?  Or do I need to maintain all the original Studebaker front suspension?  I would have to rebuild all the original suspension and converting to solid axle seems relatively simple.  I am going straight, not trying to build a road race car after all.......

Thanks for the help, trying to make decisions before I commit money.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Gas Coupe class questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »
38, you should direct these questions to the www.scta-bni.org web site. In the left column is a Rules-N-Regulations section just for this purpose. As you live in Calif. I assume you will be running at the lakes and salt. Click on the R-N-R section and ask the question. Dan Warner should get back to you in a couple of days. Good luck on the project. 8-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:08:08 PM »
Thanks Glen for the idea, I am an SCTA member, should have thought about that.  Sent a formal question off, hope Dan survived the heat of El Mirage this weekend.

Still interested in other opinions on this, any other gas coupe racers have information on your car that would apply to my questions?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »
Terry,

Sent PM. The correct contact address for tech questions is:

rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org.

DW

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »
What did they say?  My car has an "almost" one piece front end....the hood raises up, but everything else is one piece.

Offline GH

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
Run in the Altered class.