Author Topic: Lest we forget . . .  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Lest we forget . . .
« on: November 16, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »
It would have been Jack D's birthday today.  I took some time and pulled up some of his posts.

Every one of them is a great read . . .

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=147;sa=showPosts
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Lest we forget . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 10:33:13 PM »
  Wow, I really miss My dinner date at the NW Reunion back in the past.
  The good news is that Jack really never left Us.  If You go to The Build Diaries Topic and The Treit and Daverport Build find My post (#2324 on 10/10/2016) and read from there on.  Jack's Post (#4) listed by Midget just answered what We were all posting about...
  No matter what Your opinion of Jack was, He was one smart S.O.B. and I miss our phone calls and p.m."s
  He really didn't give a sh*t what anyone else thought and was always willing to share His opinion.  Only problem was that half of the time He opined with prose that only He could understand... it was hard to tell if He was agreeing with You or telling You what a idiot You were in a round-about way.
                                                                  They broke the mold when they built Jack Dolan :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
                                                                                                                      "One Run" Bob Drury
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:36:30 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:51:45 AM »
... I took some time and pulled up some of his posts....

You're a better man than me, McGee, I just spent 1.5 hours doing the first 20 pages; only 286 (!) more to go.

Gone but not forgotten.  Thanks, Chris.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:12:12 AM »
Yep, Jack was one of a kind, and a candidate for the worlds most interesting man  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 01:45:16 AM »
Jack provided a blown Kawasaki for Marcia Holley to get her motorcycle licenses.

The referee was Earl Flanders. She was supposed to do the 125 MPH segment.

She was too small for the way the bike was built. So Jack stuffed a pillow behind

her against the seat.  She made her first pass.  No problem. She had been riding

dirt bikes with the likes of the people that were featured in On Any Sunday. She

wasn't molly coddled. She kept up with them and learned maintenance. She was

qualified to ride the bike. When she returned with the timing slip Earl stared at it

and just shook his head. What to do? The slip was above 160 MPH.

Jack looked at him and said, "Earl it's my fault. I didn't mark the tach." Does she

have to redo it? "

One pass........Next step was over 175, Thanks to Jack.

She was the first female in the 2 Club by running a 229 MPH record in Vesco's bike streamliner

Jack isn't resting in peace. He's organizing some event for others.

FREUD
Since '63