Author Topic: Pre-Build Thread (for a friend) Caution - MG content...  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Pre-Build Thread (for a friend) Caution - MG content...
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 05:25:23 PM »
Modified Sports -- in the Rule Book.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »
In MS you can use any engine. And definitely check out the Bonneville Bugeye thread.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SteveM

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:09 PM »
Don't have my rulebook in front of me, but my memory tells me that the Bonneville Bugeye is also a record holder. Maybe G/GMS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 10:03:32 PM »
Hey, Alan -

Iowa City - I spent more time at the Airliner, Gabe's and the Crow's Nest in my late teens than I could legally admit to today.

And a madhouse last Saturday night at Kinnick, for certain.  GO HAWKS!

My parents are in Cedar Rapids, and Kate's niece lives in North Liberty.  I get down there from time to time.  

Between Burton Brown, Tom Donney and myself, along with a fistful of modified sports racers, the upper Midwest is becoming a bit of a hotbed for small bore LSR sports cars.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 10:34:23 PM »
Don't have my rulebook in front of me, but my memory tells me that the Bonneville Bugeye is also a record holder. Maybe G/GMS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't need a rule book, is in my signature.. :-) :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SteveM

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
...and there it is....

Steve.

Offline TomT

• New folks
  • Follow the blue line
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 07:24:37 AM »
Hey all,

This is Steve's friend Tom that carries the Salt Fever caught on September 8, 2016 upon arrival to the flats.  Steve also forgot to mention that I am the one that was driving the Salty Frog during its 2016 meltdown run!  Not proud of the accomplishment, but very greatful for the opportunity to drive the SF this past WofS.

Thank you for all of the input for the 74' MG.  I'm not sure how far we will take this project, but fun to dream and great input from all!  Time will tell how crazy we get, or if we move forward with this carcass at all.  We will definitely keep you all in the loop.

Thanks again!  Save the Salt!

Tom
Tom

Offline SteveM

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »
Tom - if you are in STL over Thanksgiving, stop by, and I'll give you my tubing bender on "long term loan".  You are going to need it to build the frame and cage for that little beast.

Steve.

Offline akremzar

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
Hey, Alan -

Iowa City - I spent more time at the Airliner, Gabe's and the Crow's Nest in my late teens than I could legally admit to today.

And a madhouse last Saturday night at Kinnick, for certain.  GO HAWKS!

My parents are in Cedar Rapids, and Kate's niece lives in North Liberty.  I get down there from time to time.  

Between Burton Brown, Tom Donney and myself, along with a fistful of modified sports racers, the upper Midwest is becoming a bit of a hotbed for small bore LSR sports cars.

Small world!  It's great to hear there's a "local" scene for LSR.  Over my dozen years in Iowa, I've noticed this area (IA, IL, WI, MN) has quite the unique-motorsports scene in general (from Italian motorcycles in WI, local Chump-car scene, vintage motorcycles and cars, etc).  I love the MW!

If you're down in the area with free time to spare sometime let me know... i'll show you around the garage, some of my toys, and bend your ear on LSR.

As far as this build goes, and what I'm capable of doing in the next 1.5 years ($ and time), I need to decide on if i'm going to keep as a vintage road "racer" to take to some "Gentleman's races" at Road America, or do the LSR car - if the LSR car, i think the only option would be a GT car.  what i need to evaluate, and may contact a few of you via PM, is truly what engine swaps can be done but still be competitive.  i see some of you noted there's quite the range of motors too swap in, as the MG lump is crap (which i agree).  Now i need to just spend the time seeing what each of those motor size options are, and comparing it to the records in that engine class, to see if building an stock GT to reach that velocity is feasible. 

thank you all for your help with this.  If we do or do not build the MG into an LSR car, I am really looking forward to meeting some of you and learning more about the racing series over the next 10 months and at WoS '17!

cheers,
alan
Cheers,
Alan

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 11:35:46 AM »
The big picture is the amount of work to seat time ratio you want.
Vintage/club type racing will be at the fun end of that scale & you can still street it plus your market is much broader if you want to sell.
LSR, you turn it into a tank for lot's more time & money with less seat time, it's not desirable for anything else & your resale market is tiny.
There are a lot of people that enjoy the build part so much that the challenge of LSR is right up their alley, if you're not one of those it's probably not for you. Take a good hard look at Steve's truck.
  Sid.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »
Alan:

Come to Speed Week with me, Tom, and the rest of the crew in 2017.  My goal is to run in 2 classes (G/DT, and H/DT).  We will show up with the G drivetrain installed, and do everything we can to be competitive against the current record.  After we have done everything we can with the G drivetrain, we will swap the H drivetrain back into place, and either defend, or try to bump up our existing record.

There are at least 3 other teams that I know of who are chasing the H/DT record.  I'm not sure if anyone else will be chasing the H/DT record in 2017.

Steve.

Offline akremzar

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 02:24:11 PM »
Alan:

Come to Speed Week with me, Tom, and the rest of the crew in 2017.  My goal is to run in 2 classes (G/DT, and H/DT).  We will show up with the G drivetrain installed, and do everything we can to be competitive against the current record.  After we have done everything we can with the G drivetrain, we will swap the H drivetrain back into place, and either defend, or try to bump up our existing record.

There are at least 3 other teams that I know of who are chasing the H/DT record.  I'm not sure if anyone else will be chasing the H/DT record in 2017.

Steve.

Thanks for the invite Steve, I'm so there! 
Cheers,
Alan