Author Topic: clutch and gearbox setups??  (Read 16229 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: clutch and gearbox setups??
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 12:46:18 AM »
I just finished disassembly/cleaning/checking the QC; might get some photos as it goes together.
I don't know how much power is lost through it. A best-case figure for straight-cut spur gear sets is about 2-3%. My box is all ball bearings, and just enough lube level for one gear of each set to barely touch the lube, so maybe 6-7% loss?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
Sum,
The Weisman was a new transmission after the 380 mph run. I first saw it in the car at the 2014 test and tune. He was really developing the tranny along with Weisman at the time. 8 speeds should give lots of ratio choices.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 09:28:25 PM »
Sorry if this has been mentioned?
As the MPH goal goes up, or the engine's RPM power band shrinks (and especially if both), the value of a relatively small RPM % drop on the shift into high gear increases.
Yes, even though there are competitive cars with Powerglide and/or Gear Vendors (both of which have a geologic fault between penultimate and final gears) many would be faster if the gap were closed up, and (where necessity dictates) the gap transferred to a lower gear pair where weight (not air) is the primary resistance.