Author Topic: Chassis Material  (Read 8991 times)

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
Re: Chassis Material
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
Just my "2 cents" then I'll shut up, ERW, DOM, are fabrication process, and have nothing to do with the alloy of the tubing.

When buying, and/or selecting tubing, you select the material by  ASTM # , and then decide the fabrication technique Ie, seamless, ERW, DOM, and the finish condition such as Hot Rolled, Heat Treat, as Rolled, or Normalized.

So; ASTM#*****+ Fabrication technique+ finish condition, and your ready to place your order.

Rouse

Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 09:58:13 AM »
The nice thing about LSR is it is grass roots racing.  If you are a decent weldor, then you can build the cage that protects your life.  Most of us are  more comfortable welding mild steel than CM.  I finally built a CM axle, but not without talking to the pros about what I should do to normalize.  Fortunately the guy that builds the axles for Speedway lives in Wichita  :-D
So weld what you are comfortable with, meet or exceed the size requirements in the rule book.  Don't worry about the weight.  A light car is not necessary, a car that can withstand a lot of punishment is.

Remember who is driving  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 10:40:32 AM »
I think the welding thing is probably the main reason behind the mild steel recommendation in the rule book. Most of the stuff run in LSR is amatuer built in a shed & most people can lay a successful weld on that but I have seen some pretty scary welds parked at Bonneville & when I say parked I mean the weld was parked on the metal! :evil:
  Sid. 

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »
I agree with Pete on  the DoCol R, especially if you have little experience with CM. Downside is the cost.
http://www.ssab.us/globaldata/news-center/2016/01/18/08/06/racing-into-the-future-with-docol-tubing
John

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 02:06:34 PM »
Mild steel is a good choice. It is cheap, widely available, and it absorbs more energy due to its plastic deformation when stressed beyond its linear range.

4130N is commonly used in home-built aircraft construction but it is thinwall tubing and is oxy-acetylene torch welded in this application. This allows the joint to cool slowly and relieve stress.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 03:15:20 PM »
Sumner, your article was a no show for me.... can you just post the link please  :cheers:

Sorry, I think I got it fixed....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Links/

Sumner

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
If your space permits, use the largest OD tubing that fits since stiffness (resistance to deformation and bending) varies roughly with the 4th power of the OD. 2" is 52% higher stiffness than 1-3/4" at the same wall thickness with only a 15% weight penalty.
The larger curve also makes gussets easier to fit tightly.