Author Topic: Space Saver Spare Wheels.  (Read 4049 times)

Offline SteveM

Space Saver Spare Wheels.
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:35:11 PM »
For anyone who may have read my previous thread about M&H tires, let it be known that I have purchased a pair of 3.5" M&H's.

Next up, I'm going junkyard hunting this weekend for some 15" skinny wheels to mount these on as a mock-up.

The Rampage is currently set up with 5x100 bolt pattern, but I have the ability to change the wheel pattern to 5 x 4.5, through the use of minivan spindles, bearings, and brakes.

I know that some people have taken space saver wheels, and sent them to MRT, Diamond, Taylor, and perhaps some other wheel makers to have new center sections welded to the narrow "rim" section of these steel wheels.  I'd like to hear some thoughts on that option as well.

Any opinions are welcome about the relative ease of finding proper offset wheels in either 5x100 or 5x4.5 bolt patterns.  I have heard that '90's era Fords have some good, usable options in terms of 5 x 4.5 pattern space saver wheels (i.e. that their offsets work out pretty well for LSR cars).

Please consider this thread as an invitation to open up a discussion of suitable wheels.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Space Saver Spare Wheels.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:13:58 PM »
I used 90 Ford Probe FWD, 5 x 4.5, fully welded space saver wheels on my roadster to help eliminate scrub steer. They are the same gauge as stock wheels so when welded there is no problem. I forget the backspace but is substantial. 

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »
Steve
  On my rear engine modified roadster which I run on the salt and East coast runways all of my wheels are Ford Mustang space saver aluminum wheels 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern they came in Mustangs from late 90's up until 2003 or so. These 4.5 inch wide wheels has very little offset. I found the scrub radius on the early Ford front axle in my roadster was perfect with these wheels.
   The rim is not cast it looks like its spun and the center hub is 100 percent welded to the rim. The wheels are painted flat black so most people had no idea the space saver was an aluminum wheel. I found mine on Ebay usually form someone who dismantles Mustangs they know the wheels are desirable and from an auto salvage yard selling on Ebay.
  They worked well on my car at over 190 MPH and I have been told they also are on cars running in the 250 range.
 Ron
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:10:07 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:59:35 PM »
Steve, I have been told that old VW bug wheels have very little run out if all you are after is the hoops.

Does anyone know for sure, fact or fiction?

Thanks, Don

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
Steve, I have been told that old VW bug wheels have very little run out if all you are after is the hoops.

Does anyone know for sure, fact or fiction?

Thanks, Don
I used old VW wheels with custom centers (flat plate in this setting) to make the wheels for my 'liner back in the '80's. They worked great.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »
Excellent!  Good ideas there.  There were a lot of those VW "skinny" wheels made over the years, there should be plenty still sitting around.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers