Author Topic: From 1957...  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

From 1957...
« on: October 15, 2016, 02:18:20 AM »
Old magazine article about Scotty's Muffler modified roadster out of San Bernardino- 27T with Ardun-Ford (destroked to 259 c.i.). Although he built it mainly for dragracing, I know that his previous drag roadster got run at Bonneville. Anybody know anything about how the "new" roadster went, and if it appeared in landspeed racing? It was easily identified by the eight-chrome-megaphone exhausts coming out under the rear pan.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stan Back

Re: From 1957...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »
Here's Scotty's Tank -- from the '40s . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »
. . . and his roadster from earlier (notice the filled wheel wells) . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 12:22:20 PM »
. . . and, I believe, the Ardun roadster you're referring to.  It's a '23-'25, and probably classified as an Altered Roadster (or just Roadster), not a Modified.

It was primarily a Drag car.  Sometimes a show car, too.  It ran at the first NHRA Nationals and was deemed the Best Appearing entry.  It later ran with a McCullough pushing thru the Ardun.   This picture is at an early Colton meet.

I don't have a picture of his later Blown Fuel Roadster which ran at El Mirage and Bonneville.  It was a '34 Coupster (coupe made into roadster) usually driven by son "Billy the Kid" Scott who ran as a rookie at Indy and compiled quite a few drag racing victories during his younger years.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:11:11 AM »
Thanks guys. Any clues about what happened to the roadster?

Man, would I love to HEAR that thing run!

[I had read it wrong- it says the he formerly ran the injected Ardun at Bonneville in his lakester]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:17:59 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »
Pipes only a muffler shop could afford.

Maybe it couldn't even afford them

but did them anyhow.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »
The "bells" were reported to have been fabricated from Ford torque-tubes.  Scotty did own a wrecking yard during that period.

Not exactly a lightweight exhaust system, but sure sounded great.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 12:31:43 AM »
... sure sounded great...
You heard it? :-o

I don't recall any torque tubes having that much taper. Perhaps axle tubes from banjo style rearends?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru