Author Topic: M and H tires.... Front-Runners  (Read 10503 times)

Offline SteveM

M and H tires.... Front-Runners
« on: October 14, 2016, 01:46:57 PM »
Any opinions on M&H "Front-Runner" tires for LSR use?

I have an opportunity to run a pair of M&H 22 x 3.5 x 15's, which would work great (dimensionally) on the rear of my Rampage.

I know I've seen some M&H tires used on the salt, just curious to hear anyone else's impressions.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: M and H tires.... Front-Runners
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
As drive tires?

We use them on the front of our modified roadster. So far up to 241 mph.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SteveM

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
Sorry - not as drive tires.  My Rampage is front wheel drive.  These would go on the back.

Steve.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:44:52 PM »
I see no issues then.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
...and then to figure out what type of tire to use as a suitable drive tire (front end) for the salt.  Something in the same diameter range would be nice....

Offline BHR301

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 06:41:18 PM »
Steve

How about Goodyear Eagle Front Runners #1961  23.0 X 5.0 - 15 @ 23.1 dia. or the Eagle Land Speed #2283 with the same specs? This is about as close as I could find to your M&H's that should have a dia. of about 22.12".

Bill

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
If you don't have a sponsor dakotartclub in coupon code window used to be worth 15%...

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »
A lot of people use front runners of various mfg's as drive tires up to modest speeds. If you are talking big hp way over 200 might get some blow back though. I had M&H front runners on the front of my 'liner to the 280 range exit speed. Not sure if Jim Knapp has changed them but he has been 305 with that car. For non driven wheel and your  speeds, no problem. IMO
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
  We are using the M&H tires on the front of Salt Cat ll. At Speed Week someone came to us with that question about our tires and I said we only had two pass' on our tires and they seemed to be OK. He is running the same tire on his Jack Costella built car and said that the side walls had split open, so we looked at ours and they had done the same thing. I believe M&H told him that they should not be inflated over 35 pounds. Our new Goodyear Land Speed tires will be here next week.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 01:58:03 PM »
  We are using the M&H tires on the front of Salt Cat ll. At Speed Week someone came to us with that question about our tires and I said we only had two pass' on our tires and they seemed to be OK. He is running the same tire on his Jack Costella built car and said that the side walls had split open, so we looked at ours and they had done the same thing. I believe M&H told him that they should not be inflated over 35 pounds. Our new Goodyear Land Speed tires will be here next week.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Good info there!

Steve.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
We've been running our front pair since 2003, the year I got in the 2-Club.  Only change made to go from our record 199 to 201.  Usually run them at about 50 pounds, keep them off the ground at home and inside and covered.  No problems yet.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »
Been on the Midget since day one - same tire you're looking at.

Granted, you're putting out a bit more horsepower and spinning them a little faster than I am, but I've got them both front and rear, and I am running tubes with them.  50 psi sounds about right.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
Chris:

That is reassuring info.  I'm not going much faster than the Midget at this point.

What more can you tell me about the tubes you are running, and how does the use of inner tubes affect the requirement for metal valve stems?

Steve.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
Metal valve stems are for tubeless tires. Metal CAP on all valve stems. Tubes in all tires that are NOT racing tires designed for use without. Rule 2.F
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SteveM

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 05:26:13 PM »
Been on the Midget since day one - same tire you're looking at.

Granted, you're putting out a bit more horsepower and spinning them a little faster than I am, but I've got them both front and rear, and I am running tubes with them.  50 psi sounds about right.

Jack - yes, sorry for any confusion, and I didn't have my rulebook handy.  I'm curious about the tubes that Milwaukee Midget is using.  They must be some rather "petite" tubes.

Steve.