Author Topic: We'll Meet Again  (Read 81270 times)

Offline deucemac

Re: We'll Meet Again
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 12:13:30 AM »
Both Blytheville  and Griffiss  are old SAC  bases. Typically  they would  have a 2 mile runway to accommodate  fully loaded B-52  or KC-135 aircraft. Especially  the 135 with original  engines, they took forever  to lift off! I crewed  both during  my Air Force days. I cannot  say what other AFB  setups  were. I just worked  on the big ones. Some info to help  in your  hunt for a track.

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 03:34:45 PM »
Look up Global TransPark, Kinston, NC. 11,500 ft of flat, flat runway. :cheers:

This place has once again lost all commercial flights in and out, it appears to be all but abandoned.  They land private charters for ECU basketball and Football team competitors and that about it.  Very different from last time it was looked into and Alegiant was trying to make a go at it.
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 06:29:17 PM »
Look up Global TransPark, Kinston, NC. 11,500 ft of flat, flat runway. :cheers:

This place has once again lost all commercial flights in and out, it appears to be all but abandoned.  They land private charters for ECU basketball and Football team competitors and that about it.  Very different from last time it was looked into and Alegiant was trying to make a go at it.

I would love to have the ECTA back in NC... it's still a long tow from S. Fla. but doable.  Heck at Maxton we did not even race on the runway but a taxiway with a dog leg at the beginning and the shut down area. Would love to run ECTA again.

A guy can hope can't he!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
Ah, bill - close, but not right on.  Maxton was, as I remember the story, a WWII glider pilot training base.  The runway we used for racing had that kink/dogleg near the start to let geometry and stuff like that help launch the plane and the glider behind it.

To allow the plane's roll to being with a lesser load - the glider was behind but off at an angle to the plane - so the pull wasn't as difficult as it would be if the glider was straight behind the plane at the beginning.  Put the plane at the beginning of the straight runway and the glider off to the starboard side behind -- and GO!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
Slim:

I am sure you are right about glider proceedure but the Maxton track was a taxi way running parallel to the actual runway....now I may be wrong. There are others that know that place better than I do that may chime in.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 12:52:38 AM »
As of May of this year, average air operations 37/day at Kinston.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline RansomT

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 06:12:41 AM »
As of May of this year, average air operations 37/day at Kinston.

and a "little bird" told me that most of those were black ops flights.   8-)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »
Maxton the taxi way was the return road, the runway was the race "surface" if you will.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »
I just google mapped it and I stand corrected.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline edinlr

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
Both Blytheville  and Griffiss  are old SAC  bases. Typically  they would  have a 2 mile runway to accommodate  fully loaded B-52  or KC-135 aircraft. Especially  the 135 with original  engines, they took forever  to lift off! I crewed  both during  my Air Force days. I cannot  say what other AFB  setups  were. I just worked  on the big ones. Some info to help  in your  hunt for a track.

I have ridden at both Blytheville and Loring, they are both great.  SAC bases usually have concrete that is 3 to 4 feet thick and are straight and very wide.  At Loring after you run the mile and a half, you have to give it some gas to get to the turn around, no rushing to stop.  Yes, I will make that 1600 mile drive a few times if they do not have a similar offering elsewhere.  Blytheville will be running the Arkansas Mile in June, but I would much prefer to be running an ECTA event there.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Jim K in PA

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
I know this is an older thread, and I am just a noob on this forum, but I also hope that Stallings Field in Kinston is an option for ECTA use.  It's a 9 hour tow from my place, at least, but that's about the same as Loring for me. 

Just a bump for this line of discussion.

:-)

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 09:22:47 AM »
Hi Jim,
I'm originally from the York, PA area. Good to see a new poster.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »
Again, hardly east coast, but Oklahoma Space Port is 13503' and Spaceport America in NM is 12,000' and they are advertising for events.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 04:07:46 PM »
ECTA has posted on facebook and the Ohio mile that a location may have been found however no racing until fall at the earliest. Photos were included with the post but not much in the way of information as to location.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 02:00:50 AM »
Spaceport America website caters to event requests.
email: events@spaceportamerica.com
phone: 575-267-8500

Oklahoma Spaceport is experiencing much local frustration with lack of tenants and deteriorating structures.

Anybody within ECTA looked into these?

[Personally, I'd like to see SCTA or USFRA look at them as bad weather alternatives to Bonneville]
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020