Author Topic: September Impound Insights  (Read 3366 times)

Offline MRK

September Impound Insights
« on: September 21, 2016, 11:08:23 AM »
Since DW wasn't at the last El Mirage meet, i scribbled up the Impound Insights in his absence......

Impound Insights– September 11, 2016

As expected the entries were on the light side after Speedweek. Some hurt equipment and empty wallets must have
kept the masses away. There were a total of 77 entries that made a collective 150 passes down the track.

Technical inspections got started on Saturday under seasonable conditions and a light breeze. Unfortunately, it didn’t
last all weekend as the event was blown out after four rounds of racing on Sunday. On to the records….

The El Mirage 200 MPH Club has another member and his name is Cal Rothe. He pushed the Aardema / Braun / Lattin
F/FRMR to new record of 204 and change. Congrats to Cal and the crew!

The first vehicle to roll into Impound was the J/BFL of the Rice Vigeant Racing team. The Suzuki powered Lakester driven
by Mark Vigeant ran the record up to 175.866. Next in was Neil McAllister behind the wheel of the BMR Ferguson
Racing XXF/BFALT. They bumped their July record by a pinch with a recorded 193.326 mph. Then comes along Cal Rothe
in the 201.239 mph, F/FRMR of the Aardema Braun Lattin team. This record put Cal in the “Dirty Two” club as I had
mentioned above. Again, congrats! The Stuhaan Rogers Kipe team ran their K/GS up to 139.347 mph with David
Boultwood at the wheel. They were very excited as they had been working on that one for a while. Jim Hoogerhyde at
the helm of the number 1 Costella / Hoogerhyde I/FL notched a 187.369 mph run. Looks like Jim is healing just fine! The
Notabusa I/FCC driven by Larry Foley Jr. ran the record up to 137.719 mph. The little Coupe that could! Andy Bartfay
driving the Honda powered Burns Callaway Warnock G/GR ran the three year old record up to 150.240 mph. The
Hondata CRX stopped by Impound with a recorded 214.211 mph in the G/BFCC driven by Aaron Hale. Next was the
Eyres & Son BGR with Eric Eyres doing the driving. They put up a solid 226.435 mph run on the 10 plus year old record
with a “D” engine in the car. The last vehicle to make it in before the meet was blown out was that Hondata CRX, again
driven by Aaron Hale who went for it as evidenced by the engine fluids dripping out of and around the car. He pushed
his earlier record up to 219.687 mph. Two more cars set top speeds in their respective classes but they are pending
certification. On to the motorcycles…..

The first motorcycle to make it in was Ralph Hudson riding a 1000cc class APSBG Suzuki. He ran 243.584 mph to step on
his 2013 record. Mark Summitt riding the Woody’s Aermacchi APF pushed past their May record with a 120.453 pass.
The Team McLeish HD entry was in at 60.482 mph on the 50cc AVBG motorcycle ridden by Derek McLeish. The Dave
Iversen Knuckle ridden by Dave Iversen himself upped the record to 130.432 mph in the 1000cc SCVF class. Steve “Papi”
Chappell riding the Shooting Star entry moved the needle on the 1650cc PP record to a 196.807 mph record to finish off
the morning at motorcycle impound. The noon hour brought in 4 motorcycles with the first being the Bridge LSD entry
ridden by Chris Bridgewater. Chris rode the 1650cc class APSPBG to a 189.353 mph on a 180 mph minimum open
record. The bar in that class is now set! Next in was Cayla Rivas on the 500cc Buell that has been serving her very well
this season. She ran her entry up to 139.406 mph to break her own July record. The Foley Racing 1650cc SCVG Harley
Davidson powered Sidecar Motorcycle ridden by Tom Foley ran a 130.438 mph speed. The last motorcycle to make it
through was the Speranza Brant Robinson entry in the 2000cc SCPG class. Randy Speranza wheeled the Harley powered
bike to a 173.345 mph top speed. There are two motorcycles that qualified as well but are pending certification.

The final event of the summer is in the books as we look towards World Finals and the fall racing season. Good luck to
you all, race safe and we’ll see you on the Salt!

Mike Kaehny
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline SPDRACR

Re: September Impound Insights
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 12:46:54 PM »
Hey, Mike You did an awesome job Last weekend at El Mirage. Thanks for the hard
work and Your Time. It's all ways fun to see You in Impound !
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »
We missed the September meet, but I think this was taken there.  Pretty good roadster turnout . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 11:55:26 AM »
looks like one of them has a flathead caddy in it.    :cheers:

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 06:04:01 PM »
 Wow looks like a lot of nice shinny roadsters and a bunch of confusion I'm next no I'm next NO IM NEXT good thing there's no bikes total confusion.  :-D
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »
EXACTLY.  See, no bikes = no confusion. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline ken s

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:02:44 PM »
Mike you missed one, Schaefer & Chambers 1650cc APF 196.343 mph.  Last one in,  had the motor sealed there and certified later by Van.

Kenny S

Offline MRK

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
Mike you missed one, Schaefer & Chambers 1650cc APF 196.343 mph.  Last one in,  had the motor sealed there and certified later by Van.

Kenny S

I stated there were two bikes pending. That must have been one of them!  :cheers:
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen