Author Topic: Street Legal Classes / Non-dedicated race cars  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Muldo

• New folks
Street Legal Classes / Non-dedicated race cars
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
Hello all!!

Are there any other 'hobby' classes similar to the USFRA 130/150mph club stuff at any other events/venues? I'm aware of the standing mile stuff, but that's not quite what we're looking for...

I've done some searching and have checked out all the sanctioning bodies as best I can...just I'm not convinced that World of Speed, on the Salt, is the only place to do flat-out landspeed stuff with lower speed/hobby level cars. I, personally, want to run anything I can onthe salt, but others in my circle aren't sure they want to take some of the stuff they want to run to Bonneville and have to wash all the salt off.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before...I just wasn't getting a feeling that I was on the right track with any searching that I've done.

Thanks!!

-Mike
-Mike

Offline 55chevr

Re: Street Legal Classes / Non-dedicated race cars
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:40:03 PM »
Mike ... Post where you are located and it will a big difference in getting the information you seek.

Joe

Offline Muldo

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:38:27 PM »
I'm in Alberta, Canada. I bounce around a couple cities. It's a solid day drive to Wendover and two days to El Mirage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Mike

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:05:31 PM »
There's lots of activity in the Calgary area.

Pete

Offline Muldo

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
Calgary? Yeah, that's my primary location... (I'll update my profile.)

What activity do you speak of Pete? As you know...we haven't had even a drag strip around here for a long time...

-Mike
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:11:28 PM by Muldo »
-Mike

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
There are several cars in the area that run at Bonneville, usually Speedweek.

Pete

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 12:58:11 PM »
I've sent you a PM. My computer was trying not to cooperate so if you don't get it let me know and I'll try again.

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »
I have said that the environment at Bonneville is not for everyone. It seems a little elbow grease, if that is what you use to clean off salt, is just too much work for the generation.
A couple of days driving and seeing different areas of the country may be a major sensory overload.

I hope I'm wrong.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Muldo

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »

I hope I'm wrong.

You are.

Here's a little elaboration to 'qualify' my inquiry. Back in 2011ish on of my best friends was presented the opportunity to build and document a 1979 Chevy LUV through a series of tech articles that were published in MiniTruckin Magazine. http://www.trucktrend.com/search/?q=junkyard%20jewel

In early 2013 we found out that we'd be taking the Luv to SEMA in November, so it was all-hands on deck for most of that year. JD, his wife, myself, and my girlfriend spent nearly every weekend in the shop (I had to drive from Lethbridge to Calgary every weekend to do this) to make the deadline. It was exhausting but the SEMA roadtrip made it all worth it.

Now that's nearly three years past, and JD keeps wondering what's next for this little truck...that's when we started talking about Bonneville. JD isn't opposed to putting in a cage, adding the required safety gear, etc that would be needed to run at Bonneville. Not at all. What we're trying to do is find out if there's another venue/event that it could run at just to see if it's worthy. As it is, the truck is a great daily runner and JD doesn't really want to cake it in salt 'just to see'.

So, if we can find an environment that's just a little less harsh (the truck lives a hard enough life up here in Canada anyway) to "test the waters" so to speak, we'd like to try it out first. Then we'll happily take it to Wendover.

Wayne Gretzky said in his autobiography that he wasn't sure the Stanley Cup was ever washed and when he drank out of it he didn't really care because 'there are some germs you want to catch. Me personally, I'd let Bonneville salt rust anything I own...but this Luv is JD's truck and he'd like to let it wind out on a easier-to-clean surface first. Unless, of course, there just isn't one.

I'm 35 and JD just turned 40 this year. We're hardly Millennials and we both have plenty of road trip miles under our belt. We're just new to Land Speed stuff is all.

Oh and Peter!! I did get your PM...tried to reply but that didn't seem to work. I'll be in touch!

-Mike
-Mike

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
Mike:

Have you thought about the Silver State Classic Challenge open road race in Nevada or something similar?

If a PM shows up in your e-mail you can't reply there. You have to go into the message section in this forum to make a reply.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:30:30 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 01:11:45 PM »
Look at the rules for Ohio Mile, Colorado Mile, Texas Mile and Arkansas Mile, Then check the Maine Event.  I think they all have classes that do no require cages but are speed limited without one.  Maine has a 1.5 mile.  Those are all clean vehicle events. 

Good luck with your quest.... there is only 1 Bonneville, it is salt... at least for a little while longer  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 05:22:34 PM »
Muldo,

That sounds fine. The tone of your op kinda put me off.   :oops:
Good luck with your experience at mile events near you.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

velocity

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 07:39:16 PM »
Muldo

This article "Flat Out" will give you plenty of options - without salt.

http://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=313475